101D Recommendations?

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I just bought a cool preamp (hand built by a Romanian gentleman) that uses 101D tubes. I purchased it second hand and the seller included a pair of tennis ball 101Ds unbranded, black base that sound very good except for the fact that one tube is noisy. The 2nd pair he included is a pair of PSVane 101D-Ls that are just OK. Does anyone have any recommendations (I need the longer pins two fat/two thin) and/or any 101Ds they're looking to sell?

Thanks!

Ian
S Florida,USA

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
I would try and bite the bullet and get some WE 101D or F (if they work with your amp). ST is most likely what you will find. Check some Japanese websites as they seem to have a lot there. I got mine from Japan at way lower prices than I found here or on ebay. A nice UV4 to UX4 converter will solve any pin issues.

If you are looking for new production, I would check out linlai. They made both a mesh and solid plate 101d in ux4 pin layout.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing