McIntosh History according to Roger Russell

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Found this informative website which also contains some nice images.

See the McIntosh History section and click.

Enjoy:
http://www.roger-russell.com/aboutmc.htm

If anyone has a personal story about the McIntosh Amplifier Clinics 1962-1991, please feel free to post it here. It was a popular before my interest in "the high-end" and I know little about it.

McIntosh Amplifier Clinics 1962-1991
http://www.roger-russell.com/aboutmc.htm
In 1962 McIntosh Laboratory Inc. started what was to become one of the most successful and longest running marketing campaigns in the Consumer Electronics industry, The McIntosh Amplifier Clinic.

McIntosh amplifiers were and are "Still the Best" but they had to find a way to prove it to the Consumer. They did this by testing amplifiers in stores; with Customers as witness they were able to show that McIntosh was the best.

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
George, you're not serious?? You just discovered RR's website?? So much has changed since RR had anything to do with McIntosh Labs, that I now regard the site more as "quaint" than "informative". If RR weren't so proprietary and personally identified with his "baby", he would invite someone younger to help him revise the site and update the information.

Ken Kessler's recent McIntosh coffee table book "For the Love of Music" is more informative/complete and better researched -- especially regarding the famous McIntosh amplifier clinics.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
I visit Roger's site often. It's chock full of very interesting facts concerning the McIntosh company and its history. Also very good refernce material for the older mac gear that routinely show up for sale on various websites.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
George, you're not serious?? You just discovered RR's website?? So much has changed since RR had anything to do with McIntosh Labs, that I now regard the site more as "quaint" than "informative". If RR weren't so proprietary and personally identified with his "baby", he would invite someone younger to help him revise the site and update the information.

Ken Kessler's recent McIntosh coffee table book "For the Love of Music" is more informative/complete and better researched -- especially regarding the famous McIntosh amplifier clinics.

All three of Ken's books, McIntosh, Quad and audio history, are worthwhile reading (one has to realize Ken is one of the few "real" journalists among reviewers too!). My main complaint about the last book was it was sort of uneven interest. My interest REALLY picked up when he got to the early US designers, and esp. chapters about audiophiles, and Ken's visit to the US. For me, much about the early UK designers was interesting but not particularly exciting.

nsgarch

Apr 20, 2010
Frankly, I find Roger's site very frustrating. Nothing wrong with the factual information -- it just stops too far back in time. I don't think the history needs revision (how on earth did you conclude that!?) I just think it needs being brought up to date ;--)

George, I actually DID attend two McIntosh amplifier clinics -- but it was with my Dad and his McAmps ;--) At the time, I thought one only took cars in for checkups, so it just reinforced my suspicion that my father was completely nuts! -- that is until I saw several dozen other "nuts" lined up with their amplifiers, (which always passed BTW,) and then received their official "Clinic" stickers indicating a clean bill of health, just like they give to working girls!! (something I learned about later ;--)

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
As a owner of stats (Martin/Logan) and recently having heard the new JansZens, I found this bit of history to be very interesting.

We test electrostatic speakers.
http://www.roger-russell.com/lsd1.htm#electrostatics
Art Janszen had been a consultant for McIntosh for several years. He visited our acoustics lab about this time to test his new idea for spiral wrapping the electrodes for his electrostatic tweeter. Earlier versions were constructed using short parallel wires connected together.

Gordon Gow was interested in the Janszen tweeter as a possible high frequency speaker in a McIntosh system. He was also concerned about peak power levels needed to reproduce musical instruments at high frequencies. We set up a microphone at 1 meter and used tone bursts to see how the tweeter will handle short bursts of high frequency power. As the power level re: 8 ohms increased, the acoustic output increased by an equal amount, but at higher power the output began to decrease. We found that by blowing across the tweeter, the output would be temporarily restored. The reduced output was caused by ionized air. The electric stress in the air had exceeded 100V per mil. Ions were produced that in turn discharged the polarizing voltage and caused the output to decrease. By blowing away the ionized air, the polarizing voltage was restored until new ions were formed.

We then compared our dome mid-range at the same sound pressure level and were able to increase the driving power level by many dB above the Janszen while still remaining completely linear.

Gordon learned that the Dayton-Wright electrostatic speaker was enclosed in sulfur hexaflouride gas to eliminate this problem. The thin membrane that enclosed the gas was porous, however, and exhibited the osmotic process where the higher density gas molecules migrated through the membrane to the lower density air. The speakers needed to be periodically recharged with gas.

As a result of this research and other factors, Gordon decided not to pursue the electrostatic speaker as a viable product.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
That's a good find! Roger has given me some helpful information over the years. Mcintosh still sources parts from some of the companies that were sources when he was there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing