Zanden Chukoh preamp finally arrived.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21,
I think if you audition the Arrakis, you will understand why Andy Payor has ceased the Arrakis and even ended development of the Arrakis II.
So that means that you don't like the Arrakis?? Can you explain..
Yes...I also like to understand more...Arrakis is probably my favorite speaker of all time.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
The Chukoh is "cooking" since seven days before I get my opinion and findings i like to "cook" it for at least one more week.
All i can say for know is that today seventh day i saw definitely some "Light of the Universe ".
Hey Amadeus, is your Chukoh cooked yet? ;) Would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts about this unique preamp, also in the context of your previous reference Koda K10g2.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hey Amadeus, is your Chukoh cooked yet? ;) Would really appreciate if you could share your thoughts about this unique preamp, also in the context of your previous reference Koda K10g2.

Hi Marcus yes the Chukoh is cooked and it let me make my Tong smelt every single time i listen to heavenly Music... I have changed the 300B Tubes from Takatsuki 300B after Burn inn to Western Electric 300B and there is no way to go back Western Electric is so much more Harmonic and delightful!
THe Zanden Chukoh in my opinion is not just one of the Best preamps but probably on his own at a lonely height its a piece of art a collectors item and very (almost impossible) difficult to approach the level and refinement its more open it has more harmonic richness it is faster it has more resolution and it is the absolute benchmark of being Neutral what means almost absolute Naturally.

Robert Koda K10G2 is in my opinion best ever preamp in the price level and far above. The Zanden Chukoh is almost 5 times more expensive and maybe 20% better which is a very very difficult task to achieve for a designer...

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Hi Amadeus

Echoing Ll21's thoughts - did you get a chance to compare the Koda 15ex with the Chukoh? I will be very interested to know how they fare compared to one another. Amazing setup there as well Amadeus - congrats:)

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have issues with self confidence, borne of the slings and arrows of WBF barbs Lol. But I would have deep feelings of great personal unworthiness if this piece of magic resided in my room. I'll spend the budget instead on psychotherapy/character and confidence building Lol.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I have issues with self confidence, borne of the slings and arrows of WBF barbs Lol. But I would have deep feelings of great personal unworthiness if this piece of magic resided in my room. I'll spend the budget instead on psychotherapy/character and confidence building Lol.
Surely the Zus have already done you in?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"WBF barbs". Whatcha think they're from Lol. Zu SQ is a soothing balm compared to the hailstorm that is the reaction to them.

Reactions: howiebrou

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Psychotherapy or Bocchinos... omg get your priorities right Marc :eek:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
An enormous congratulations, Amadeus! That is truly sensational! As a big-time Zanden fan...i look forward to reading how it compares with your already-magnificent Koda K10G2.

I was just speaking with Eric Pheils at Zanden earlier this week! I have just installed 2nd hand SRA Ohio XL isobases which were designed/calibrated for our Zanden digital...remarkable.

Please post when you can! Enjoy!

Lloyd

Did you listen to the Zanden Chukoh preamp when you were looking at new preamps?
I know you have the big Zanden digital front end.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Lloyd

Did you listen to the Zanden Chukoh preamp when you were looking at new preamps?
I wouldn't mind comparing the Chukuoh with the K15ex as well. It would match my Jinpu well...but not necessarily my K70mk2 amps.

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I wouldn't mind comparing the Chukuoh with the K15ex as well. It would match my Jinpu well...but not necessarily my K70mk2 amps.

Competing distributors in HK Howie? ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...THe Zanden Chukoh in my opinion is not just one of the Best preamps but probably on his own at a lonely height its a piece of art a collectors item and very (almost impossible) difficult to approach the level and refinement its more open it has more harmonic richness it is faster it has more resolution and it is the absolute benchmark of being Neutral what means almost absolute Naturally.

Robert Koda K10G2 is in my opinion best ever preamp in the price level and far above. The Zanden Chukoh is almost 5 times more expensive and maybe 20% better which is a very very difficult task to achieve for a designer...

Hi Amadeus
Echoing Ll21's thoughts - did you get a chance to compare the Koda 15ex with the Chukoh? I will be very interested to know how they fare compared to one another. Amazing setup there as well Amadeus - congrats:)

Lloyd

I put the above 3 posts together for this. If the owner of both Chukoh and Robert Koda k10g2 feels his K10 series 2 is within 20% of the preamp which sits on "lonely height" as a "piece of art a collector's item and...almost impossible...approach to refinement, harmonic richness, resolution...the absolute benchmark of neutral and natural"...well that says to me that the K15EX (being by a number of accounts superior to the K10g2 (providing your system is up for it and finely balanced already according to Amadeus)...then that answers my question to XV-1.

No, as much as the Zanden 4-box is by far the longest running piece in my system and still stunning by any personal measure, for reasons purely of cost and practicality, I did NOT investigate the Zanden Chukoh...largely on the basis my impression from the above is the K15EX gets super-duper close for significantly less money.

And that for me, is PLENTY! And I am genuinely enjoying it and consider myself very blessed to own it!

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I put the above 3 posts together for this. If the owner of both Chukoh and Robert Koda k10g2 feels his K10 series 2 is within 20% of the preamp which sits on "lonely height" as a "piece of art a collector's item and...almost impossible...approach to refinement, harmonic richness, resolution...the absolute benchmark of neutral and natural"...well that says to me that the K15EX (being by a number of accounts superior to the K10g2 (providing your system is up for it and finely balanced already according to Amadeus)...then that answers my question to XV-1.

No, as much as the Zanden 4-box is by far the longest running piece in my system and still stunning by any personal measure, for reasons purely of cost and practicality, I did NOT investigate the Chukoh...largely on the basis my impression from the above is the K15EX gets super-duper close for significantly less money.

And that for me, is PLENTY! And I am genuinely enjoying it and consider myself very blessed to own it!
Well said Lloyd. No need to chase the fictional rainbow.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well said Lloyd. No need to chase the fictional rainbow.

;) Well to be fair, I think many people would be well within their rights to accuse me of having already pursued quite a rainbow over the last 20-30 years since my first boombox! And I have to say if money were absolutely no object whatsoever, would I have at least listened to the Chukoh?...ok, yeah probably.

The most important element is: do I miss the Zanden Chukoh option (as sometimes happens when you are looking for the next upgrade)? Absolutely, positively not. And I suppose that for me is my own personal endorsement of the level of extraordinary pleasure I take in the K15EX.

Reactions: XV-1

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
pot of gold at the end of the rainbow howie haha!

Prob is if you have the level of a chukoh...you will end up getting the zanden custom amps that ae has as well i imagine? lol It's like what someone told me ....a ferrari driving on toyota tyres. That someone convinced me (right or wrong ) to get a lotta stuff lol:)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
pot of gold at the end of the rainbow howie haha!

Prob is if you have the level of a chukoh...you will end up getting the zanden custom amps that ae has as well i imagine? lol It's like what someone told me ....a ferrari driving on toyota tyres. That someone convinced me (right or wrong ) to get a lotta stuff lol:)
If you've never seen them in the flesh those Zanden creations are amazing.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Never in the flesh Howie, the pictures look like a net gear router box but in metal where pictures always understand the gear a bit. When covid I s over... I really need to get myself to hk, you have an audiophile's paradise there I can only dream of

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Never in the flesh Howie, the pictures look like a net gear router box but in metal where pictures always understand the gear a bit. When covid I s over... I really need to get myself to hk, you have an audiophile's paradise there I can only dream of
Welcome anytime. Bring a container and fill it with goodies!

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hi Amadeus

The Chukoh and K15EX are both capable to go whit you to the eternity they are different designs and both true "Master works" i cant prefer or choose my self...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing