Zanden Chukoh preamp finally arrived.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Amadeus - do you have any details on the circuit of your new preamp at all? I see a 300b tube in each channel. It seems full dual mono layout of course as it is separated into 3 mini chassis. But anything more about the preamp circuit?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
FWIW, I listened to amadeus’s system a few weeks ago (unfortunately without the Chukoh) and the Koda K70G2 drived them effortlessly. Much better than the 100W/ch Zanden 8120.

Dear Marcus when you have arrived that day at my Studio i have made so many changes on my system that day 2 pairs of Interconnect cables where brand new whit 0 hours by example also some power cords where brand New and we had reinstalled the Thales Arm and Blue Dragon Cartridge and also this needed some settle in so what i have heard one week later and what we have heard together that day where far from each other come and listen again if you are in the neighborhood of NL.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Do let us know if you try...i have to say, if you can get your hands on a pair of SRAs...definitely give them a shot. I have the original Ohio XL designed for my Zandens...and they are genuinely special and have done something I have not heard from various of HRS, Stillpoints or Artesania's isolation shelves, reference footers or damping plates.

Where specifically will you advise me to use the SRA plateau under which part?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Amadeus - do you have any details on the circuit of your new preamp at all? I see a 300b tube in each channel. It seems full dual mono layout of course as it is separated into 3 mini chassis. But anything more about the preamp circuit?

Yes the output is 2x300B tubes its a 3 chassis main unit and a power supply the power supply uses 4x6Ca4 Tubes 2 for each Chanel.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
The Chukoh is "cooking" since seven days before I get my opinion and findings i like to "cook" it for at least one more week. All i can say for know is that today seventh day i saw definitely some "Light of the Universe ".
Great! Can’t wait to read your report. K10G2 is a great preamp. I have heard it many times in different systems but I don’t think it can compete with the Chukoh.

BTW, I still think a lot about your beautiful listening room. Photos really don’t do it justice. It has everything one can wish: Great view on the lake, looks exceptional and sounds great. Congratulations.

Let me know when you get your new Rockports...
D648684F-438D-48C7-959B-E3125B6D87F9.jpeg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Which Rockports???!!! Very interested to know!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rockports w Koda power amps? Really?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Great! Can’t wait to read your report. K10G2 is a great preamp. I have heard it many times in different systems but I don’t think it can compete with the Chukoh.

BTW, I still think a lot about your beautiful listening room. Photos really don’t do it justice. It has everything one can wish: Great view on the lake, looks exceptional and sounds great. Congratulations.

Let me know when you get your new Rockports...
View attachment 48806
Dear Marcus thank you for your kind words :)

When building a dedicated a Studio we did all that we can do counting measurements length wide used materials dedicated building materials but whatever you count and do it is always a surprise how its gonna sound in real and i must say for 92% i was positively surprised specially the Bass i was little afraid for is whit out any Bass Trap just perfect i can hear that there might be some fine tuning in the higher register but this are small moves to get right... By time i hope to get right this last 8% too.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful picture whit us!

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
I did drive the Rockport Avior and Cygnus Speakers whit the Robert Koda Power amp it works very good indeed its not the very last word in bass authority but even in my last Studio which was 2x times bigger (to big for a State of Art System) as my current Studio most music was dynamic enough to feel the live energy.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Which Rockports???!!! Very interested to know!
Well my intention was Arrakis but Andy Payor stopt building Arrakis speakers the Rockport Cygnus is a great speaker for the price a Bargain the new Lyra is the King in Medium sized speakers maybe the Lyra or even the Gryphon Koda is in my future consideration...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well my intention was Arrakis but Andy Payor stopt building Arrakis speakers the Rockport Cygnus is a great speaker for the price a Bargain the new Lyra is the King in Medium sized speakers maybe the Lyra or even the Gryphon Koda is in my future consideration...
They are my favorite speaker, the Arrakis. I intend to find them 2nd hand at the right time and price.

Reactions: amadeus

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
Amadeus,
What is your feeling with regard to how the Zander sounds compared to the Koda preamp. I am currently auditioning the Koda K15 ex. Any thoughts?

Billygxx

Nov 23, 2015
LL21,
I think if you audition the Arrakis, you will understand why Andy Payor has ceased the Arrakis and even ended development of the Arrakis II.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Billy...actually i have listened to the Arrakis in Hong Kong with Ernie Lau. I have to say, of all the auditions i have ever done, it was probably my number one favorite. I have not listened to them all...but multiple X2, XLF, Focal Grande, Martin Logans, Genesis 1s (also wonderful just way too big!), various Sonus Fabers, Hansens, Magicos, YG Acoustics, etc.

There was something about its effortlessness, scale, tonal balance and absolute quiet which has amazed me in ways no other speaker has. For me, right time, right price, and I would certainly buy them.

That said, you have remarkably more experience than I from the sounds of it...what do you not like about them?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Amadeus,
What is your feeling with regard to how the Zander sounds compared to the Koda preamp. I am currently auditioning the Koda K15 ex. Any thoughts?
Interesting...are you comparing with Aries Cerat? Most intrigued if you are...

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Despite it’s modest power rating, Koda K70G2 is not a pussy power amp. Here’s what Martin Colloms wrote in his review (Hi-Fi Critic Vol.5/No.3).

The Class A regime appears generous with up to 900W of continuous mains power input (450W per channel), for a specified “approximately 70W of undistorted output for 3 to 7 ohm nominal load factor”. Note
that it does not say ‘per channel’! The heroic build is reminiscent of that famous Mark Levinson ML20 Class A amplifier (20W/ch 8ohms, 40W into 4ohms), which drew some 400W standing.
Assuming the Koda is intended to stay in class A down to 6ohms at least, that’s 110W x2, which at the textbook 25% efficiency is 450W per channel. It’s a bridged design, with a single-ended direct coupled Class A amplifier on each side of the bridge, which is why it needs so little supply voltage. The output section has a pair of 33,000uF reservoirs, while the triodes get four 450V 560uF capacitors. Clearly, no chances have been taken with undersize power supplies.

There’s more written about it’s driving capabilities if you’re interested...

Reactions: amadeus

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Doesn't the typical Bond villain have hundreds of minions. In this case, obv employed for the smooth running of this uber uber system.

Audioexotics is known for having many many GOOD minions. That is a very close community I've been told.

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Audioexotics is known for having many many GOOD minions. That is a very close community I've been told.
Can you explain me what a "Minions" is?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Amadeus,
The Koda K15EX is also a Masterpiece Chukoh is too new for me to compare later i can say more...

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
LL21,
I think if you audition the Arrakis, you will understand why Andy Payor has ceased the Arrakis and even ended development of the Arrakis II.
So that means that you don't like the Arrakis?? Can you explain..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing