YouTube video of TT install and then format comparison

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This video is long and I have not watched the whole thing, but it has to be one of the more entertaining audiophile videos that I have ever seen. Jay is a digital guy who goes through a lot of gear and records everything for his growing audience. Fans have been bugging him to add vinyl to his system. Here he does just that and then he starts the comparisons. This is a live video with a live chat component. The live chat comments are an interesting addition. I am curious about the growth of this type of presentation and exposure to the YouTube audience.

Skip to 2:07:40 for the punchline.

Reactions: Another Johnson

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I’ve done similar A-B comparisons using Qobuz, Roon Nucleus, Rossini vs Lyra Etna Lambda, Ekos SE, Linn LP 12 with Keel, Radikal, Karousel, Tramp2, and on many albums, the vinyl wins. In other cases, if the vinyl isn’t as well done and the digital file is well done, the digital wins.
But there is no doubt that vinyl can be exceptionally good (to the point of blowing away the digital) in many cases.

Reactions: mtemur

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
From Jay, who is not allowed to post on wbf, “I'll keep saying “you guys” until those words are removed from the dictionary”.

With all due respect. no pot shots pls. Wtf is the big gripe?? Jay cannot even respond on this forum. But more importantly. Pls explain the motivation, frustration or otherwise w Jay’s content that seems to strike such a chord here on WBF. Btw I see a number of WBF members now espousing to be Jay’s “friend” on this forum but obviously not vocally, straddling the fences, frankly cowardly. let alone in support of him. I mean wtf. that he not use exclamation points? c’mon. what are you even talking about

Edit: It is also particularly confounding as Jay is a dealer for Taiko which obviously has a large presence here. Also, Joe from Critical Mass and Jay made amends publicly in Munich. Emile and co. have entrusted Jay, why can't WBF?

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
From Jay, who is not allowed to post on wbf, “I'll keep saying “you guys” until those words are removed from the dictionary”.
With all due respect. no pot shots pls. Wtf is the big gripe?? Jay cannot even respond on this forum. But more importantly. Pls explain the motivation, frustration or otherwise w Jay’s content that seems to strike such a chord here on WBF. Btw I see a number of WBF members now espousing to be Jay’s “friend” on this forum but obviously not vocally, straddling the fences, frankly cowardly. let alone in support of him. I mean wtf. that he not use exclamation points? c’mon. what are you even talking about

I enjoy watching some of Jay’s videos and fast forward through others. He produces a lot of content and has many followers. I watched this video and posted it hear to start this thread. I have commented to him about his music choices but he ignores me. Of course he is free to do whatever he wants. Just not here. It is a shame. He was banned here. It must be personal. I thought I knew why but was told I am wrong about it.

He has a unique style. He is a gear flipper and gets lots of views. I wonder how much he listens to that turntable.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Why is he banned here? plenty of equipment flippers like him on WBF .

Rays

May 24, 2018
Yes, exclamation points and the constant use of 'guys'....absolutely unacceptable!

OK guys, we should do something about this! Jay travels to Munich on his own dime, shoots 3-4 days worth of content, edits it all then uploads to YT so we can enjoy a glimpse of the big show while in the comfort of our homes. Then has the audacity to refer to his viewers as 'guys', and use exclamation points to show his enthusiasm. I feel your pain tima!

Yes, why is he banned here?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
OK guys, we should do something about this! Jay travels to Munich on his own dime, shoots 3-4 days worth of content, edits it all then uploads to YT so we can enjoy a glimpse of the big show while in the comfort of our homes. Then has the audacity to refer to his viewers as 'guys', and use exclamation points to show his enthusiasm. I feel your pain tima!

Heh. Actually not much pain as I do not normally pay him attention. The video-based audio people take way too long to say what they have to say -- partly because they try to sell you on themselves. I read much faster than he speaks so I'd rather read a short synopsis. The few times I've watched I've not heard any new concepts or thinking; to me he presents with no authority or special knowledge. I did not know he was on WBF and have no info on why he is not here.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing