The Greatest Rachmaninoff 3rd of all time?

alexz

Jan 11, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'd recommend also 2 lesser know but very interesting (IMO) performances of Rachmaninov 3rd concreto:
Gavrilov / Lazarev with USSR Symphony (Melodia / EMI) 1976, and Gieseking w/Barbirolli 1939 Broadcast issued by M&A

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I would like to get a few good vinyl pressings of Rachmaninoff 3rd. The easiest to get is the Janis Antal Dorati Speaker Corner release. How does it compare to the original Mercury version? According to Salvatore, the SC release is even better, than the original one. Is it true? What other good pressings of the 3rd Concerto can you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
And the quote by notorious Tom Port about the SC release: “The most opaque, dull and lifeless 180 gram reissue in the history of the world.” o_O

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I would like to get a few good vinyl pressings of Rachmaninoff 3rd. The easiest to get is the Janis Antal Dorati Speaker Corner release. How does it compare to the original Mercury version? According to Salvatore, the SC release is even better, than the original one. Is it true? What other good pressings of the 3rd Concerto can you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Aziz
Original Mercury releases can be very variable, and I have found that the info on the dead wax do not really help. I have a copy of the original production master tape of this recording, and I prefer the sound to the Speakers Corner. If you can find reasonably priced copies of the original LP, you should buy it. If it does not sound good, sell it again and buy another one. I have been doing this for the LPs I really want, and I usually manage to find a great sounding one after a few tries.

Reactions: abeidrov

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Thanks in advance,
Aziz

mercury is much superior but all the best finding a good quality LP for the Janis ones. The SC are quite poor

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
mercury is much superior but all the best finding a good quality LP for the Janis ones. The SC are quite poor
So this is one time when Salvatore is wrong and Tom Port is right…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So this is one time when Salvatore is wrong and Tom Port is right…

Salvatore is wrong about many. Also many of his performances are quite meh

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Reactions: acousticsguru

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This sound curiously dim, not to mention bass-shy?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

It does sound curiously dim on the video, I agree. And blurry.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
I'll throw one out there that I enjoy quite a bit.

Rach 3.png

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I‘ve just bought an original Ashkenazy / Previn The Four Piano Concertos / Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini Decca. Is it any good?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I‘ve just bought an original Ashkenazy / Previn The Four Piano Concertos / Rhapsody On A Theme Of Paganini Decca. Is it any good?

No

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing