YBA Passion 1000s

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, does anyone know anything about these french class A monoblocks which run cool? What amps have you compared it with? Checking from the point of view of driving low sensitivity planar type speakers, to create dynamics for orchestral without losing tube midrange and soundstage. On paper these seem to have it all, but has anyone heard them and compared with anything else?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, does anyone know anything about these french class A monoblocks which run cool? What amps have you compared it with? Checking from the point of view of driving low sensitivity planar type speakers, to create dynamics for orchestral without losing tube midrange and soundstage. On paper these seem to have it all, but has anyone heard them and compared with anything else?

Have you spoken with Alain at Choice Hifi? He often deals in them, and seems to know them very well. He also knows Gryphon, Boulder and a few others well...so he might be a useful opinion? Have not spoken with him in a long time.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks will check

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does the power supply have to be up to snuff to drive such high powered class As? Is there any point in going for such amps with a normal London home power supply?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Does the power supply have to be up to snuff to drive such high powered class As? Is there any point in going for such amps with a normal London home power supply?

good question...i am no electrician. I have to imagine that you should be able to run these fine. London is not a city with hourly brownouts, etc that really cause trouble with electronics. I have met a few guys who run big amps like Boulder 2060, etc which eat a lot of power. My Gryphon eats 800 watts at idle...seems fine so far.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
good question...i am no electrician. I have to imagine that you should be able to run these fine. London is not a city with hourly brownouts, etc that really cause trouble with electronics. I have met a few guys who run big amps like Boulder 2060, etc which eat a lot of power. My Gryphon eats 800 watts at idle...seems fine so far.

800W at idle , wow that's a lot ! What does it gobble up going full tilt ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

A bit more I think but not excessively more. I believe but am not sure, the amp was designed as class A running full on at all times...and much of the power is disappeared as heat...in efficient but that is Class A. In fact, I have read that the more you crank it the more power is used towards sound and less to heat dissipation. Does it actually get cooler driven loud? ;)

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

If it is true Class A .. It will consume the same idling or at full tilt ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Class A the electricity bill runs up even if you just leave them on, not playing?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
So Class A the electricity bill runs up even if you just leave them on, not playing?

In a pure Class A, yes. Not many of the so called 'Class A' amps run pure class A though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

You got it...i always turn it off when not playing...even if i leave the DAC, preamp and sub on. But let me say...it is my favorite amp. And if it were not Gryphon, the amps that come to mind...Zanden 9600, Boulder 2060...Class A also...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You got it...i always turn it off when not playing...even if i leave the DAC, preamp and sub on. But let me say...it is my favorite amp. And if it were not Gryphon, the amps that come to mind...Zanden 9600, Boulder 2060...Class A also...

But surely they don't sound as good if you don't leave them on for 24 hours at least?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
But surely they don't sound as good if you don't leave them on for 24 hours at least?

Actually, the system warm up is really driven by the Zanden, not the Gryphon. In my limited experience outside of my system, or when i have had the rest of the system running all day...the Gryphon is fully up and running quite quickly. Sounding great from switch on, and indistinguishable from the best i have heard my system after about 30-45 minutes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing