Xp20 - xp30

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Has anyone gone from the XP-20 preamp to the XP-30 preamp? If so, what improvements did you notice, if any? I'm so happy with the XP-20 that I wonder what can be improved. Thanks.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Has anyone gone from the XP-20 preamp to the XP-30 preamp? If so, what improvements did you notice, if any? I'm so happy with the XP-20 that I wonder what can be improved. Thanks.

Yeah... me too. Don't know whether just to get the 20 or go without eating for another month and get the 30.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Ha ha. Yeah, it's a delicious dilemma, though. I made the mistake of reading a review on the XP-30 and now I'm curious. I'll be sticking with the XP-20 for a long while, I'm sure. I think.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Wish I could help. Prior to the XP-30, my main pre was the venerable Mark Levinson 380S. The only feature I liked better on the ML was volume control in .1 decible increments. The Pass's are 1 decible increments.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
One downside to the XP-20 is that there are only two XLR inputs. I want three. I'm only using two sources now, my Mac Mini=>DAC and my turntable=>phono amp, but in the future I might add an Oppo 95 or some other multi format player and would then need another XLR input.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Wow!

Conclusion

In my opinion, there are very, very few systems which would not benefit from substituting the Pass Labs XP-30 for whatever current preamp is in use. Even if you already have an elite preamp in your system, you might be surprised by what you're missing. Very highly recommended, and at its current price you might even consider calling it a bargain compared to its competition, some of which are 50-100% more expensive.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The xp20 is a big improvement over my previous x2.5
The new one is quiet. Able to play it at a much lower vol level and still hear the important details.
But I just don't like the way the new design looks.....
The x looks way cooler.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I own the XP-20 and had the XP-30 in my system for about ten days. I have the XA160.5 amps, Magico Mini 2 speakers and SME table/arm with the Air Tight Supreme cartridge. I found the 30 to be slightly quieter and more extended both in the LF and HF. There is also slightly less distortion, so everything sounded cleaner and clearer. The 30 also sounded more evenly balanced. With the 30 in the system I noticed that the 20 has just a very slight emphasis on the upper bass/lower midrange region. Without this emphasis the 30 sounded more natural and midrange and treble details were easier to hear. Overall, I would say the 30 is a bit more refined, nuanced and real sounding. However, the 20 is still excellent, and for now I can't quite afford to step up to the 30. For others, the additional cost may be a small price to pay for the improvement in sonics.

Last edited:

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I own the XP-20 and had the XP-30 in my system for about ten days. I have the XA160.5 amps, Magico Mini 2 speakers and SME table/arm with the Air Tight Supreme cartridge. I found the 30 to be slightly quieter and more extended both in the LF and HF. There is also slightly less distortion, so everything sounded cleaner and clearer. The 30 also sounded more evenly balanced. With the 30 in the system I noticed that the 20 has just a very slight emphasis on the upper bass/lower midrange region. Without this emphasis the 30 sounded more natural and midrange and treble details were easier to hear. Overall, I would say the 30 is a bit more refined, nuanced and real sounding. However, the 20 is still excellent, and for now I can't quite afford to step up to the 30. For others, the additional cost may be a small price to pay for the improvement in sonics.

Thanks for the comments. I am considering another pre-amp and from the reviews the Xp-30 interests me. I would prefer a one box solution (that may be a play on words since the Soulution is being considered too) Prior to your post I was wondering what the additional box would give me if I chose the 30 over the 20.

Jim

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
XP-30 inside

View attachment 8138

View attachment 8137

Alps used here too - from the manual "XP-30 volume control is totally new and sonically unique. It’s measured performance - distortion, bandwidth, noise, and resolution is beyond reproach. It preserves the dynamics and detail of the music passing through it, and scales this performance over its 100 dB attenuation range."

The power switch looks like costing $5.

Last edited:

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
I've never used any Pass preamp, after reading the manual again - yes there is no power on/off switch.
It's looks like it's always on, so to turn it off one must unplug the AC power cable.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I've never used any Pass preamp, after reading the manual again - yes there is no power on/off switch.
It's looks like it's always on, so to turn it off one must unplug the AC power cable.

That is correct. Pass recommends pre-amp power supllies remain on 24/7 for optimal performance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing