Moving to Europe, need help with SDT (step down transformer)

dussk

Aug 30, 2023
Portugal
Hello!

I am moving from the US to Portugal and have a ton of 110V gear that I want to take with me

(Pass XP-22, 27, xa-25, HPA-1, May KTE, subwoofers, etc.)

Looks like I am going to need some sort of Step Down Transformer, which could also be rad because it will condition the power, as wel.

I was looking into Air Link Transformers, anyone have any success with them? Know of anything better? Something maybe inside EU to avoid VAT charges?

Thanks!

Michael S.

Mar 7, 2023
Germany
I would like to add that we have in Europe a 50hz grid. I think in the U.S. there is 60hz.

A simple transformer cannot do this.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hello!

I am moving from the US to Portugal and have a ton of 110V gear that I want to take with me

(Pass XP-22, 27, xa-25, HPA-1, May KTE, subwoofers, etc.)

Looks like I am going to need some sort of Step Down Transformer, which could also be rad because it will condition the power, as wel.

I was looking into Air Link Transformers, anyone have any success with them? Know of anything better? Something maybe inside EU to avoid VAT charges?

Thanks!
Hello dussk
I bought a ( raw ) balanced tranformer from airlink some 8 years ago and made up my own with chosen chassis, recepticles , rcd, dc blocker, etc and find it to be very worthwhile, the internal wiring can be changed out quite easily and contributes very much to the final sonics! Along with the recepticles. Airlink will cater for your needs.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I’m also dealing with a similar question (bringing equipment from the US to the UK) and wondering if should go with Airlink or something that also converts 50hz to 60hz (considerably more expensive).

I have tube amps and also a US voltage SP10mk2.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
I’m also dealing with a similar question (bringing equipment from the US to the UK) and wondering if should go with Airlink or something that also converts 50hz to 60hz (considerably more expensive).

I have tube amps and also a US voltage SP10mk2.
Also quite important is ensuring the correct voltage, My reading here is always over @ 250 volts !!! Not good.
Airlink made up my transformer so its a constant 230 volts .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing