Wilson Gets Another Cover!!!!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Just got my Stereophile The Wilson Sophia III got the cover. Any bets on what they think?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A fool and his money........

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I received my copy last week and I know what Art had to say about them.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Baby Steps Jay_S. It arrived undamaged! I live on the East Coast.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Have you ever seen JA pull his punches when he measures something? AD used to hate Wilson speakers and made no bones about it. I believe the Sophia was the first Wilson speaker he ever liked. There are some people on the grassy knoll though. Keep an eye on them.

Stereoeditor

Sep 6, 2010
What do you think the chances are of one of the largest advertisers in Stereophile getting anything less than a stellar review in Stereophile?:confused:

Wilson actually has only just started advertising in Stereophile after a hiatus of, IIRC, two years. So please put your conspiracy theory back in your pocket.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Being completely ignorant on these matters I am out of this game of insinuation, but I feel covers are mainly used to sell magazines - as Wilson is a well known brand, always attracting discussion, the probability of magazine sales increases when a magazine has such a speaker in the cover. May be Stereophile should pay Wilson for its use! :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Being completely ignorant on these matters I am out of this game of insinuation, but I feel covers are mainly used to sell magazines - as Wilson is a well known brand, always attracting discussion, the probability of magazine sales increases when a magazine has such a speaker in the cover. May be Stereophile should pay Wilson for its use! :D

I'm not sure if I agree with that microstrip. No question that Wilson is a recognizible brand and attracts discussion, but I, and many other audiophiles, don't buy Stereophile because one of the Wilson speakers is on the cover (or any other piece of ultra high-end gear). The cover text plays a much more important role in my opinion. Additionally, most magazines are sold (circulation) through subscription and not retail (newsstand) distribution (90%/10% or somewhere around there).

Perhaps Mr. Atkinson could shed some light on this?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wilson actually has only just started advertising in Stereophile after a hiatus of, IIRC, two years. So please put your conspiracy theory back in your pocket.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Just in time for a review, an award, and a cover.

caesar

May 30, 2010
You know that if the magazine published the review it's a good review.

The reviewer seems to like the wilson brand. But did the reviewer compare the Sophia to a similarly priced B&W, Magico, or YG Speaker? (The YG speaker recently won product of the year from TAS.) If not, what's the point of reading the review? Save yourself 5-10 minutes, folks. You pretty much already know what it is going to say.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Come on guys. Give it a break. Wilson's a direct competitor so you know that if I support and defend them it's like shooting myself in the foot. But I don't think that this cynicism is warranted.

10 years ago, when I was looking for a pair of speakers to buy for the listening room on my vineyard, I had settled on the Genesis 1. When the room was being planned, and before the foundation went in, I went to my dealer to order a pair, and found that the company had closed down. Then I started a quest to find a replacement. I listened and considered the Wilsons then, and couldn't bring myself to go there.

Fast forward 10 years, I now own the company, and when I heard the latest Sasha and the Sophia at one of my dealers, I was quite dismayed at how good they sound. So while I have not read the review, I won't be surprised if Art Dudley who used not to like the Wilson sound gives them a fantastic review.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Come on guys. Give it a break. Wilson's a direct competitor so you know that if I support and defend them it's like shooting myself in the foot. But I don't think that this cynicism is warranted.

10 years ago, when I was looking for a pair of speakers to buy for the listening room on my vineyard, I had settled on the Genesis 1. When the room was being planned, and before the foundation went in, I went to my dealer to order a pair, and found that the company had closed down. Then I started a quest to find a replacement. I listened and considered the Wilsons then, and couldn't bring myself to go there.

Fast forward 10 years, I now own the company, and when I heard the latest Sasha and the Sophia at one of my dealers, I was quite dismayed at how good they sound. So while I have not read the review, I won't be surprised if Art Dudley who used not to like the Wilson sound gives them a fantastic review.

I take it you have not recieved your copy of this months Stereophile.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I take it you have not recieved your copy of this months Stereophile.

I have received it, have not read it yet. Reading Stereophile is part of my job, and it's piled under other work I have to get done before I can read it. Yes, listening to music and reading magazines is part of work :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing