Wilson Audio Submerge Subwoofer

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wilson Audio has released a new subwoofer, the Submerge, an actively-powered design.

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

Reactions: SCAudiophile

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
IMG_0193.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is an interesting, if much more expensive, competitor to the 12 inch diameter driver and 15 inch diameter driver actively-powered REL subwoofers.

One difference is that the REL subwoofers do not have continuously variable phase adjustment. J.R. Boisclair feel strongly that to integrate properly subwoofers in a distributed base array implementation to smooth out overall base response the subwoofers must have continuously variable face adjustment.

I personally wish they subwoofers had a high-level input (speaker level input, like REL), as well as a low level and input.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
This is an interesting, if much more expensive, competitor to the 12 inch diameter driver and 15 inch diameter driver actively-powered REL subwoofers.

One difference is that the REL subwoofers do not have continuously variable phase adjustment. J.R. Boisclair feel strongly that to integrate properly subwoofers in a distributed base array implementation to smooth out overall base response the subwoofers must have continuously variable face adjustment.

I personally wish they subwoofers had a high-level input (speaker level input, like REL), as well as a low level and input.
Phase and delay adjustment is necessary if you move away from the axis of the speaker system. will sound best if a single subwoofer is placed in the middle between the speakers. Thus spherical wave radiation has the lowest spatial mode excitation.
Exsample ok two subs MEG-901__Basis_14K-1.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
will sound best if a single subwoofer is placed in the middle between the speakers
In the distributed bass array (swarm) concept to smooth bass response in the room it is anticipated that the subwoofers may be placed literally anywhere in the room, depending on where smoothest bass response overall is achieved.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In the distributed bass array (swarm) concept to smooth bass response in the room it is anticipated that the subwoofers may be placed literally anywhere in the room, depending on where smoothest bass response overall is achieved.
But this only works really well with several subwoofers and not with one. That will be expensive 3-4 pieces of geithain basis 14k subs cost €20k.
and you need 100 cubic meters of air (space) to use it down to 20hz. Otherwise it will be unpleasant

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
But this only works really well with several subwoofers and not with one.
Yes, of course. "Swarm" is a multi-sub concept.

It would be great to have four subwoofers in a room, able to be placed anywhere they need to go to achieve smoothest overall bass response.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

It would be great to have four subwoofers in a room, able to be placed anywhere they need to go to achieve smoothest overall bass response.
Its cheaper to build a double bass array front and back wall then you know how good bass can be. I never heard anthing before how clean 20hz can sound.
As far as I know, there are companies that build something like this. OK, it will also be expensive if you can't do some of the work yourself _MG_0085.jpg
Link how it works if someone intressting

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Wilson Audio has released a new subwoofer, the Submerge, an actively-powered design.
Single 12", modest box dimensions, 5hz.

I would be curious what sensitivity rating is . I looked at the specs on Wilson site and didn't see this data.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Ahh that makes sense :)

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
The dilemma persists: whether to incorporate a subwoofer or not, and if so, the question of utilizing one or multiple subs - the solution lies in measurements.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden

I have 8 subs in my room. 6 in front, 2 in the back. All with continuously varible phase adjustments. Very hard to tune in, to get everything to time with the front speakers. But very rewarding now ..;) .. and is a kind of a swarm, so to speak. To get this to work a 100% I have the amazing Krell EVO-707 8.4 preamp to control it all. Bass respons is very smooth, tight and accurate and goes flat way below 15hz. Church organ is very pleasent to listen to… feels like sitting in a cathedral.

Btw: did actually lower each front sub-tower by approximately a half dB yesterday, maybe 1 dB in total for all 6 subs… It cleared up the whole soundstage making everything sound REAL tight, exact, with a nice brilliance to it. After that I didn’t want to stop playing music at all… so very late last night, haha.

/ Jk

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Single 12", modest box dimensions, 5hz.
Yes, 5Hz doesn't make sense to me either. 10Hz appears in the spec of the Thor's Hammer, which with two 15 inch drivers in a big box makes some sense.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The most seamless way to blend a sub with another speaker(s) is by using the high level inputs. It’s disappointing that Wilson didn’t include HL inputs, especially at this price point.
This is a controversial view, because otherwise extremely serious companies like Wilson and Goebel would agree with you, and they obviously do not.

I have been very happy with RELs, and speaker level input makes sense to me. I wish the Divin Sovereign had a speaker level input. (I know you can just attenuate the speaker level signal and feed it to a line level input, but that is Mickey Mouse.) But I have never done the difficult comparisons to figure this out for myself.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Paul McGowan at PS Audio has talked about this before. Looks like REL also recommends the high level (speaker cable) inputs to a sub. This way the tonal characteristics of the amp feeding the main speakers is maintained.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This way the tonal characteristics of the amp feeding the main speakers is maintained.
I understand the reasoning. As I said, it makes sense to me.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Paul McGowan at PS Audio has talked about this before.
So? As with almost everything in this subjective hobby each view has its adherents and proponents.

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I have 8 subs in my room. 6 in front, 2 in the back. All with continuously varible phase adjustments. Very hard to tune in, to get everything to time with the front speakers. But very rewarding now ..;) .. and is a kind of a swarm, so to speak. To get this to work a 100% I have the amazing Krell EVO-707 8.4 preamp to control it all. Bass respons is very smooth, tight and accurate and goes flat way below 15hz. Church organ is very pleasent to listen to… feels like sitting in a cathedral.

Btw: did actually lower each front sub-tower by approximately a half dB yesterday, maybe 1 dB in total for all 6 subs… It cleared up the whole soundstage making everything sound REAL tight, exact, with a nice brilliance to it. After that I didn’t want to stop playing music at all… so very late last night, haha.

/ Jk
had the Krell EVO-707 processor twice...how do u stream 4K ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing