Will RTR be around in 5 years?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
ok thanks.

btw, i'm with you on SACD and dsd. it's absolutely wonderful. IMHO, YMMV and all that stuff.

agree..with ANY format YMMV.:)

I also think high sample rate, 24 bit PCM can be stunning as well. I am not a format absolutist, which I see much of around here.
I like all flavors.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Cool link; bring back fond memories indeed.

Cool, Bob :D

I just spoke with John Austin, Sprague Magnetics/CA, and discussed zenith, height, tangency, and wrap adjustment, for a Studer DIN/butterfly headstack I'd just sent him.
It was marvelous to have the illustrations/explanations from this source available as it enabled me to communicate with John with a modicum of competence :cool:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
That is an amazingly over reaching generalization that is strictly your opinion. That is the equivalent of some one saying that the quieter the music,
and the smaller the scale, vinyl fails due to the surface noise etc.

No, they're not equivalent, as there would actually be some objective truth to the latter. "Fail?" Fail is a big, judgmental word. But noise is more audible when there is less signal to mask it. That's just the simple reality, and I don't have to have ever written a review to understand it. :)

Tim

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
To answer the original question...

Reel to Reel format will be around not only next 5 years but 50 years and beyond (IMHO...)- even long after most of us are gone.

So as long as there will be next generation of audiophiles with common interest, desire, and drive to get as close to the "real thing" as possible in pursuit of the audiable perfect illusion, there will be analog tape format and need for R2R machines. It was the number one reason why I got into tape.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I don't know how long will it last but what I am sure is after listen to Ed's master tape then you will know how close to the real. and Ed is welcome who like to have a try when he is near our area
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing