Why Tube Amps Sound Different (and better) Than SS Amps

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he/she is actually not mentally ill the claim would certainly bear investigation. I'm not sure exactly what "alternative explanation" there might be (I include drug/substance use in the mental illness category because it is).

More Fox News from you. I always answer everything. Please show a question on this forum that you believe I ducked. If you can't do that then you owe me an apology.

I'm going to make one final point here, which applies to all the threads I've been in lately, and then leave people to their beliefs.

Suppose someone you know well, who is not mentally ill, tells you they were abducted and anally probed by purple aliens in a flying saucer late one night as they drove home from the local tavern. They are adamant that it happened, and they reject any alternate explanation you offer. Do you believe them? If not, why not?

At what point do you conclude their perception is flawed, and assume there must be another explanation even though they're certain of their experience? Now change "certain they were anally probed" to "certain they heard a difference between two measurably competent AC power wires."

You're welcome. :D

--Ethan

Aliens are known to be butt diddlers, but I would have asked if they were sure they were purple aliens because everyone knows aliens are grey.

The most expensive mechanical watch in the world doesn't come close to the performance of the clock that came in your phone. The simple logic of you get what you pay for is still in place, you're just paying for something other than performance. Does this apply to high-end audio? Absolutely. There's a ton of prestige appeal built into high end products. It is typical for an amplifier's case to be its most expensive component. The "look" of your Wilsons is a very expensive component (perhaps the most expensive component) that has absolutely nothing to do with their performance. The list is long. The logic is not simple.

Tim

That statement is absolutely untrue and I can't believe you said that. For the most part with speakers, form follows function and so it is with Wilson. The size, shape, and material used in their construction has everything to do with their performance.

Your poor analogy might hold up if there was one person claiming power cords made a difference, but falls apart when there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions worldwide, claiming power cords make a difference, and an entire industry is built on that fact. At what point do you stop and admit you are wrong?

Millions?!? You think there are that many audiophiles? ;) Even hundred of thousands may be a stretch . Back to the schedule discussion :)

Your poor analogy might hold up if there was one person claiming power cords made a difference, but falls apart when there are hundreds of thousands, maybe millions worldwide, claiming power cords make a difference, and an entire industry is built on that fact. At what point do you stop and admit you are wrong?

I can't believe you seriously asked that question. The answer is never. You need to go back and reread what was said earlier about infallibility and how it relates to being tossed from audio forums. It makes the alien anal probing story look like it quite possibly happened.

More Fox News from you. I always answer everything. Please show a question on this forum that you believe I ducked. If you can't do that then you owe me an apology.

I'm going to make one final point here, which applies to all the threads I've been in lately, and then leave people to their beliefs.

Suppose someone you know well, who is not mentally ill, tells you they were abducted and anally probed by purple aliens in a flying saucer late one night as they drove home from the local tavern. They are adamant that it happened, and they reject any alternate explanation you offer. Do you believe them? If not, why not?

At what point do you conclude their perception is flawed, and assume there must be another explanation even though they're certain of their experience? Now change "certain they were anally probed" to "certain they heard a difference between two measurably competent AC power wires."

You're welcome. :D

--Ethan

News flash: the same old tired, rehashed threats again?

Just a couple off the top of my head. JKenny and I both asked you what internal controls were used in your pseudoscientific trials. Deathly science. Yeah, news flash dude. One person anecdotal reports went down the scientific glory hole four decades ago. You were also asked what equipment was involved. Deathly silence. You were also asked where you got your engineering degree. Deathly silence. The list goes on and on. I don't have the time to list them all. Did an alien have your tongue?

BTW did you give free copies of your book to all your Pro buddies and tell them to stuff the amazon review box? Even Pulitzer Prize winning author Ernest Hemingway didn't get 20-5 star reviews on his Pulitzer Prize winning book The Old Man and The Sea. And brother you're no Hemingway

No, you owe the forum an apology for subjecting the posters once again to your tired old antics. Audiofools are tired of you and don't need to be nor asked for you to be saved. Take your Holy Crusade back to wreck.audio.high-end.opinion where you belong.

Last edited:
You know, after giving the matter a little more thought Ethan's ET analogy may be even worse than Tim's cell phone watch analogy. Most degreed scientists in astronomy and cosmology believe in the likelihood of extra-terestrial intelligence, in fact over the years there has been a substantial amount of both public and private funding in this area. Whether or not we have actually encountered alien intelligence is open to debate; I think most reasonable thinkers discount it not because it is unlikely but rather because there is a lack of credible data at this time. But Ethan may not be aware of this; after all, despite his protestations to the contrary his education and experience probably lie in the bottom half or even quarter of active participants in this forum. That's not meant as a personal attack, just a statement of fact.

Suppose someone you know well, who is not mentally ill, tells you they were abducted and anally probed by purple aliens in a flying saucer late one night as they drove home from the local tavern.

Happened to me once. Very traumatic experience.

Last edited:
Yes. I was reincarnated as a delusional audiophile buying shunyatan power cables as punishment for my bad behavior as a newt. Only thing more cruel I can imagine would be to come back as Newt Gingrich.

We all see things differently. I don't know why there is always the need to convince the other half to come across to your point of view. Can't we just get along and enjoy the music?

glass-half-empty-glass-half-full-always-full.jpg

Sorry, but it is tribalism. Hardwired into our DNA. People always break into camps, regardless of what the subject or interest is. There will be those who will argue to the death that the glass is half full and others that it is half empty. Just the way it is. I just express my opinion and then move on.

Sorry, but it is tribalism. Hardwired into our DNA. People always break into camps, regardless of what the subject or interest is. There will be those who will argue to the death that the glass is half full and others that it is half empty. Just the way it is. I just express my opinion and then move on.

No. It is a western cultural thing. Probably traceable to monotheistic religion. Buddhist don't have this problem. Read Bart Kosko's "fuzzy thinking", for a primer on oriental thought.

The problem as I see it is you have someone who has devoted their life to 'debunking' the high-end and appears to hold the high end in disdain. When you counter that with people who have spent very considerable sums of money on their systems to better their sound quality, you are going to have issues.

--Ethan

Hi all,

Maybe I'm taking Mr. Winer's words out of context but I don't think so. I believe he is calling those who "trust their ears" versus those that "trust their measurements" the "someone" he describes above. A classic example of a passive / aggressive personality.

Notwithstanding the personal insult on the intelligence and integrity of all the someones who post on this site, the above post is frankly petty, childish, immature, and disgusting and a big FU to many of us who aspire to a higher level of musical reproduction (and emotional connection to the music) in our homes using those silly things on the sides of our head.

If there was ever a reason for a permanent ban this, IMHO, clearly meets that standard.

A personal request to Mr. Winer. Please stop posting on the WBF.

Your move moderators.

GG

Last edited:
If their was ever a reason for a permanent ban this, IMHO, clearly meets that standard.

A personal request to Mr. Winer. Please stop posting on the WBF.

Your move moderators.

GG

If he is banned, it would be another badge of honor for Mr. Weiner. I don't think we should give him that satisfaction.

The watch analogy is bogus in more ways than that. The "clock" in a cell phone really isn't very good, it only appears that way because it continually corrects itself by referencing the cell tower time which is linked to one of the atomic clocks. Try taking your cell phone out of a service area for a day or so, then check its time before it has a chance to self-correct.

Well, mine is always in a service area, it always self-corrects, against an atomic clock, and it does so to a higher degree of accuracy than than any wrist watch. The analogy works fine for me.

Tim

Christian,

Valid point but look at the upside.

It's, I believe, the very same reason that the moderators chose to end his dedicated "room acoustics" section on the home page.

GG

Well, mine is always in a service area, it always self-corrects, against an atomic clock, and it does so to a higher degree of accuracy than than any wrist watch. The analogy works fine for me.

Tim

Tim, it's not a watch, it's a radio receiver. Apples and oranges...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing