Why Some Audiophiles Fear Measurements

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
My apologies if that's what came across. It was meant to be encouraging, namely that one can crack the books, call up colleagues, etc., and learn a lot about room acoustics.

Armed with this knowledge makes one an intelligent consumer. The Smokester was, with some basis, pointing out how money is often spent on equipment, services, etc., that didn't really seem to deliver much value. And who's fault is that? If we put the effort into coming up to speed ourselves, we'll get better results all around, at least IMO.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Voices from the great beyond

Regarding the emphemeral and perhaps ethereal voice of the ex, does this mean you still miss her?

Of course, if you had parrots, you'd be familiar with the mysterious appearance of persons inside one's house. These birds can do killer imitations. Or as Jim MacArthur (Danno in Hawaii 5-0) once mentioned, you haven't lived until you've seen and heard yourself dubbed in Farsi :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Regarding the emphemeral and perhaps ethereal voice of the ex, does this mean you still miss her?

Of course, if you had parrots, you'd be familiar with the mysterious appearance of persons inside one's house. These birds can do killer imitations. Or as Jim MacArthur (Danno in Hawaii 5-0) once mentioned, you haven't lived until you've seen and heard yourself dubbed in Farsi :)

In some ways and truth be told, I do miss some of the things about her. After all we spent a quarter-century together. Much like I miss my Pioneer SA-9500II and Klipsch Heresy's...there were certainly some good memories.

John

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
My apologies if that's what came across. It was meant to be encouraging, namely that one can crack the books, call up colleagues, etc., and learn a lot about room acoustics.

Armed with this knowledge makes one an intelligent consumer. The Smokester was, with some basis, pointing out how money is often spent on equipment, services, etc., that didn't really seem to deliver much value. And who's fault is that? If we put the effort into coming up to speed ourselves, we'll get better results all around, at least IMO.

No problem, Nicholas. I read your post in a positive and light-hearted light as also mine was intended.

Indeed, that is what I was trying to point out. I think most audiophiles are willing to evolve their systems as they become aware of aspects of it for which suspension-of-disbelief is no longer possible or when listening is no longer pleasurable due to some bothersome aspect of system performance. Also, the system itself can change its operating parameters as it ages. The issue then becomes what to change and how to make the change with, in my case at least, a tractable amount of confusion, time and money.

One of the ways of assisting this is by measuring parameters so that you at least have a chance of characterizing the change or hypothesizing what may need to be changed and then validating it after it is made. Measurement also allows one to return to a previous state if the planned changes don't work out.

I think it is better to have a science-based model for generating hypotheses. That is, the better understanding one has of the engineering, physics, chemistry and mathematics involved the faster and better one can winnow out the best chances from the many possibilities and converge on a solution. If you don't have this then you are shooting in the dark and it will take longer and probably cost more if you can get to satisfaction at all.

Or, you can have a good buddy who knows what he is doing. That works too. :D

I never have and never would buy a hi-fi on specs alone. And, what characterization of my own system has been done has been done by me...or at least with me in the room. I don't trust nobody.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com

Dear Jeff: IMHO we audiophiles don't fear measurements/specs. All of us have a brain that give us the possibility to " think/discern " and be " rational " on any subject.

What this could means?: why should I take my time in audio item measurements that can't tell me its quality performance and if that quality performance could match my priorities?.

In the other side all of us already learn through the AHEE teaching that " measurements/specs are not important. What is important is what we like through our ears. " So we learn that we don't have to look or take care about: output impedance, frequency response, IMD, THD or RIAA eq, channel gain, accuracy, etc, etc, that our ears are more than enough.

This has a price to pay ( and I'm not talking about money high money we invest on ) and that all of us are paying with inaccuracies and high colorations/distortions in our system quality performance that could be fixed if we cares a little on mesures and specs.

All the members of the AHEE goes in that WRONG ( IMHO ) direction: no magazyne ( virtual or in paper. ) but Stereophile made/make measurements on the audio items they review, so even the reviewers does not care or don't have a " measurements references " and I think don't ask for.
But even in Stereophile the reviewers don't tell us the true about those measurements, we have a lot of Stereophile reviews some of them " dramatic " ones where what the reviewer states is contrary to measures that shows the audio item is a mediocre unit and the reviewer say is first rate.

What could tell me this reviewers behavior?: wrong ears? wrong audio perception? wrong bias priorities? wrong music/sound know-how? corruption? wrong test audio system? or a combination of all those " wrongs ".

In the past I trust and respect J. Atkinson measures and his comments about, this was true for me till last week when I read the Vitus phono stage measures and the JA statement that IMHO is a kind of corrupted statement that I never imagine could comes from a person like the editor in chief of STP J.Atkinson for whom I had a lot of respect like reviewer:

we can read and see the Vitus RIAA response where the Vitus has a RIAA deviation ( we have to remember here that a normal/standard high end phono stage RIAA deviation is: 0.1db from 20 hz to 20 khz ) of -1.5db!!! at 20hz ( for whatever reason. ), as a fact the Vitus has a very significant fall in the RIAA frequency response from 500 hz and down.

J.Atkinson states in his review: " the error in the preampliifer's RIAA correction was very low ( fig.1) ". JA is not an ignorant and he knows that that " error " was not not only " very low " but inadmissible by any circumstances/standards for any phono stage but that that happen in a 60K dedicated phono stage design like the Vitus : has no name!, for say the least. Why not disclose the true of those measures?, J. Atkinson could think we are " stupid " audiophiles?. IMHO he made more harm with his statements that if he said nothing. Maybe he thought to " protect " Vitus but that's not the way to do it: evidence/facts ( like those measures. ) has no protection.

M. Fremer review on that Vitus phono stage told us: " The MP-201's dynamic presentation at both ends of the scale was nothing short of ridiculous: ITS BASS EXTENSION, CONTROL AND WEIGHT WERE GRANITIC ".

How comes how is that with that Vitus severe midbass/low bass roll-off? . MF has a very nice system that there is no doubt can shows what is happening " down there " along that he is not an ignorant.
So why MF stated what he states in his review?. just incredible.

This was not the first time MF made that kind of reviews, he made the same when he reviewed the Dartzeel Phonolinepream ( that he own. ) that measures “ terrible “ ( +2.5db at 20hz and +1.8db at 20khz!!!! ) on that same RIAA subject and not only that in the Dartzeel is worst because both channels measures ( have errors/inaccuracies ) way different !!! and even that he " bought " it.

Dear friends, remember that each frequency RIAA error affect not only that single frequency but due that the RIAA is a curve each one of those errors affect almost three music octaves!!!!

How can we in the future to trust in reviewer/AHEE opinions that are corrupted!!!! Btw, I prefer ignorance that corruption.

The manufacturers give us some kind of specs and not always the ones we need, example: in loudspeakers there are IMHO at least two important specs first THD and second IMD at say 85db SPL and 95db SPL, even they don't tell us under which cirmcustances were made those manufacturer specs/measures. Manufacturers with complex electrical impedance/phase speakers that recommend tubes electronics that has inherent high output impedance values that preclude an accurate performance: they are recommended a mistmatch between their speakers and amplifiers!!! unveliable that this is happening but it is happening, Wilson is one of them but there are a lot of examples.

The audio dealers/distributors are not prepared either to make the " job " and are not interested in to.

We almost don't understand what in theory the measures/specs means and how could help us.

All these IMHO makes that we are not interested on measures but not because we have fear about.

Gentlemans, TILL TODAY NO ONE DISCLOSED ANYTHING ABOUT MEASURES/SPECS AND WHAT REALLY MEANS. NO ONE IN THAT AHEE ( MANUFACTURERS, AUDIO DEALERS, REVIEWERS, tec, etc. ) TELL/TOLD US THE TRUE AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUE, all these people has no single respect for each one of us and not only because they don't tell us the true but because they lies to us day after day thinking we are " blind " or stupid people and you know what?: WE ARE NOT!.

I think that we have to begin to learn ( by our self. ) about measuresa/specs and how use it along our ears to make audio items choices. I think we don't have to know/learn the mathematics theory behind all those different specs but more important is understand it and why could help us.

Frequency response alone could means almost nothing on an audio item but for example if we take that FR and output impedance in amplifiers then this has a meaning that could tell us how good could match with our speakers if we have too the speaker electrical impedance curve.

I think that are some specs that are critical on audio:

IMD on speakers, amplifier output impedance, RIAA eq. deviation on phono stages, THD/TIM on electronics or frequency response. We have to understand how to use it not stand alone but in combination for we can have a " meaning ".

There are measures that we can read in Stereophile that are important and almost no one cares: frequency response on both channels or gain on both channels. These examples are extremely important because IMHO accuracy is the first target that can shows measures and if we want a " decent " quality performance system we need first than all: accuracy. Do you know if the frequency response or gain in both channels of your electronics are the same?, probably not and almost here begin our each one distortions/colorations problems with our audio system that we could fixed when we know what is happening.

Our ears are not enough we need the right measures and understand it and we have to have the music knowledge because: how can we take any audio item choices if we don’t know how a Flute or a Cello sounds in a live free environment?

Unfortunately the AHEE is doing nothing in favor but only making things worst, put us in deep “ ignorance “ that goes in favor of NOTHING and against the AHEE where we audiophiles/customers are IMHO the most important part of that AHEE.

IMHO the science always can help in audio, problem is that there are no scientific " models " that can relate in precise way audio measurements with what we heard as quality performance at different quality levels. But this not means that all what we heard has no scientific answers because those answers exist and my hope is that in the future we can have those precise answers!!!

Jeff: +++++ " Why Some Audiophiles Fear Measurements " +++++

I'm sure we did not. I'm more worried and with fear that that whole " measurements " subject be and stay in the WRONG hands inside the AHEE.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
So Kal, what do you think of the idea regarding the 'I prefer these speakers which measure more poor;y than those speakers'?
Preference is fine.

In other words, the usual conclusion is that 'accuracy' can get in the way of 'musicality' based on that logic.
I do not believe in 'musicality' as distinct from "accuracy." In fact, I do not believe that "musicality" is a meaningful term although I have used it, infrequently, to describe something I liked despite hearing and knowing it to be inaccurate.:rolleyes:

BTW, what or who is AHEE?

Kal

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Surely you remember Eisenhowers warning: "we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the Audio High End Establishment"?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Preference is fine.

I do not believe in 'musicality' as distinct from "accuracy." In fact, I do not believe that "musicality" is a meaningful term although I have used it, infrequently, to describe something I liked despite hearing and knowing it to be inaccurate.:rolleyes:

BTW, what or who is AHEE?

Kal
Musicality is faithful to real music and is both consonant and disconsonant. So if you used the term to describe something you liked knowing it to be inacrrate then you misused the term. A truly musical system would pass a bad recording as just that. That includes making it sound "pleasant." Yes a bad recording manipulated to sound pleasant is still bad.

terryj

Jul 4, 2010
bathurst NSW
Yes a bad recording manipulated to sound pleasant is still bad.

ah, the spartan school eh? is not the whole idea to enjoy listening to music?

I feel sorry for you that music listening can be a pain.

how much did you spend on your system to achieve this level of enjoyment?

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
A truly musical system would pass a bad recording as just that. That includes making it sound "pleasant." Yes a bad recording manipulated to sound pleasant is still bad.

So with this in mind what's wrong with just using accurate to describe a system with those traits?? Basically it's simply fidelity to the source.

Rob;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ah, the spartan school eh? is not the whole idea to enjoy listening to music?

I feel sorry for you that music listening can be a pain.

how much did you spend on your system to achieve this level of enjoyment?

Brilliant comeback.

OTOH I represent many people who have succumbed to societies devices designed to make them feel ecstatic. They are usually temporary and often disastrous. I can think of many good ways to achieve euphoria;one of which would be to listen to my truly musical system.:)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So with this in mind what's wrong with just using accurate to describe a system with those traits?? Basically it's simply fidelity to the source.

Rob;)

If someone would tell me how we can know what the source sounds like I would never argue this point again. Please don't say null test.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Can we agree that the "Source" is the CD/SADC/Vinyl ??

Rob:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing