Amps for Ron to consider

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Ron,

I suggest that you finish your room and set up your system and live with it a while, fine tuning it as best you can. Then, once you have a very good sense of how it sounds, what you like and dislike, then it might be appropriate to consider replacing a component that you think will improve what ever area of weakness you identify. You may find that your VTL amps are not the weak link. Who knows?

Is this amp discussion just an exercise to research possible future options, or are you planning to buy a new pair of amps before your system is back up and running? Hasn't it been a couple of years since your system was assembled? Why are you inquiring about different amps already without first hearing them in your new space with your new speakers? It kind of reminds me of Marc's threads about replacing his analog source before he even hears the one he already owns in his new room after a lengthy absence.

If you tell us why you are investigating alternatives to your VTL and why you think that you may not like them with the Pendragons, then perhaps recommendations will be more specific or focused on a particular sonic solution.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi Ron,

I suggest that you finish your room and set up your system and live with it a while, fine tuning it as best you can. Then, once you have a very good sense of how it sounds, what you like and dislike, then it might be appropriate to consider replacing a component that you think will improve what ever area of weakness you identify. You may find that your VTL amps are not the weak link. Who knows?

Is this amp discussion just an exercise to research possible future options, or are you planning to buy a new pair of amps before your system is back up and running? Hasn't it been a couple of years since your system was assembled? Why are you inquiring about different amps already without first hearing them in your new space with your new speakers? It kind of reminds me of Marc's threads about replacing his analog source before he even hears the one he already owns in his new room after a lengthy absence.

If you tell us why you are investigating alternatives to your VTL and why you think that you may not like them with the Pendragons, then perhaps recommendations will be more specific or focused on a particular sonic solution.

Quite....live with VTL's driving the Pendragon's for a while ( remembering to SR Black them first ) then perhaps arrange a home demo of the CAT for starters.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
The prerequisites for an SE design putting out 100W+ leaves very little options of choices if that is a hardline requirement. You have Wavac and you have NAT and not much else. If you are looking for ease and headroom, that comes with higher powered amps (better components overall) vs the weaker transformers and power supplies in most low powered SET's.

Or maybe you just like triodes and should really listen to more of those both in SET and PP?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joshua, I keep telling Ron he needs those Magmas.
He absolutely loved the SE2SEs at mine, from all accounts the Magmas are truly stellar.
Not just the overall power in pure Class A, but the absolutely monstrous transformers and psus that mean the 170W/ch is probably conservatively rated, and outputs w no strain.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Ron I have refrained from making any suggestions up to now because I'm not a valve fan, but can I commend to you the new Vitus SS 103 reviewed in the November HiFi Plus by Chris Thomas. He is a top class professional guitarist who knows what he is talking about and writes very well too.
What is particularly impressive about his reviews, and this one in particular, is not only the quality of the review itself, but the identification of the qualities to look for in an audio component.
In fact whether or not that is of interest to you, or to anybody else, it really is worth reading for the sheer educational value of his review.
So herewith FWIW

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron I have refrained from making any suggestions up to now because I'm not a valve fan, but can I commend to you the new Vitus SS 103 reviewed in the November HiFi Plus by Chris Thomas. He is a top class professional guitarist who knows what he is talking about and writes very well too.
What is particularly impressive about his reviews, and this one in particular, is not only the quality of the review itself, but the identification of the qualities to look for in an audio component.
In fact whether or not that is of interest to you, or to anybody else, it really is worth reading for the sheer educational value of his review.
So herewith FWIW

Barry I recommended him Vitus much earlier, also Danon of mono and stereo uses it on Pendragon and Kodo, and Ron liked what he heard of the SM 102 at Rhapsody, but he does not want a transistor in his chain. We have to get him there slowly. First step kronzilla, so that he gets transistor in the input stage

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
let's see. looks like these are your check lists;

List A; non-negotiables.

tubes, class A, 150+ watts, smooth and edge free and a bit forgiving, a 'sound' you love.

List B; integration.

linear enough in the upper and mid bass under duress to integrate perfectly with the active solid state powered bass towers,

List C; intangibles.

enough authority for great 1st watt on Gryphon panels, current state of art refinement, lively, low noise, ultra detail.

----a few good to great List A choices, but List A with B get's tougher, then with A + B + all of C get's even tougher.

have fun Ron.

Yes, indeed, Mike! That is the mission statement! :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

This amp discussion in my mind is "just an exercise to research possible future options." I definitely am not "planning to buy a new pair of amps before [my] system is back up and running."

The MB-750s will be somewhere between "fine" and "great." With their original capacitors I believe stock MB-750s are not up to current standards of transparency achieved by the current generation of tube amplifiers (e.g., NAT, Jadis Mk. II, CAT JL7, VTL Siegfrieds, KR Audio, etc.) By switching to JA200 Mk. II I can avoid a bit of distortion (going from Class AB to Class A), keep the high power (200 watts), and achieve greater transparency -- without giving up a warm, natural, beautiful, all-tube midrange.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wavestream V8 monoblocks or the El34 monos. Call the Analog Room in San Jose Ca.

Wavestream seems too one-man band/garage shop for me.

Is the V8 Class A?

What is the output on the EL34 amplifier? Is that a parallel SET design?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Joshua, I keep telling Ron he needs those Magmas.
He absolutely loved the SE2SEs at mine, from all accounts the Magmas are truly stellar.
Not just the overall power in pure Class A, but the absolutely monstrous transformers and psus that mean the 170W/ch is probably conservatively rated, and outputs w no strain.

Marc, do you actually know anybody who right now owns and is using NAT Audio Magma New amplifiers? I really want to get some hands-on report about dealing with those GM-100 tubes.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Barry I recommended him Vitus much earlier, also Danon of mono and stereo uses it on Pendragon and Kodo, and Ron liked what he heard of the SM 102 at Rhapsody, but he does not want a transistor in his chain. We have to get him there slowly. First step kronzilla, so that he gets transistor in the input stage

Thank you, Barry.

HAHAHAHA Kedar!

For the record, as much as I love tubes, at Rhapsody I found the Kondo on the Magico M3 to be a little soft all around and not adequately transparent and detailed. I felt like it was a very traditional tubey kind of tube sound. I preferred the Vitus there, but it was an outlying data point.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This amp discussion in my mind is "just an exercise to research possible future options." I definitely am not "planning to buy a new pair of amps before [my] system is back up and running."

The MB-750s will be somewhere between "fine" and "great." With their original capacitors I believe stock MB-750s are not up to current standards of transparency achieved by the current generation of tube amplifiers (e.g., NAT, Jadis Mk. II, CAT JL7, VTL Siegfrieds, KR Audio, etc.) By switching to JA200 Mk. II I can avoid a bit of distortion (going from Class AB to Class A), keep the high power (200 watts), and achieve greater transparency -- without giving up a warm, natural, beautiful, all-tube midrange.

Ron, what you stated makes perfect sense.
I am amazed at how great the new Jadis Mk2’s are. My JA30mk2’s are easily some of the best sounding amps I have ever heard....and I have been in this hobby for over 40 years!
The new design is so much more transparent and resolving than any other amp I have heard. So much so, that I believe anyone considering any new tube amp absolutely needs to hear the new Jadis Mk2’s, if at all possible.
Considering the new JA200 mk2’s would certainly be very high on my list.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Dear Brad,

Does not the KR VA200 have a transistor input stage?

I think the Joule Electras are Class A OTL.

Thank you, again!

No, the Joule Electras are not pure Class A...they are high bias AB. The KR, like all KRs, is a transistor/tube hybrid. Transistor input/driver and triode output.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Dear Brad, it is not about need. It is about headroom for musical ease and absence of compression or hardening. See MikeL posts to this effect. (I have the same view on this.)

Understood, but IMO you are sacrificing the purity of sound within your power envelope in order to gain that headroom for dynamic peaks. If your first watt is compromised...

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So do I. In fact Berning distributor recommends 200w quadrature over the 30w for horns. Avant-garde uses 150w amps to run their trios. Henk puts in 2 kw. Though for horns I am ok with less

Avantgarde's own amps sound like crap...sorry they do...headroom be damned. I just heard them again recently at the Swiss High End show and it made my ears bleed. If Berning recommends a 200watt amp for horns then what in god's name is the 30watt amp for?? Why bother even making it as nothing is more sensitive than horns. Henk's STAX amps are not 2kW.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Avantgarde's own amps sound like crap...sorry they do...headroom be damned. I just heard them again recently at the Swiss High End show and it made my ears bleed. If Berning recommends a 200watt amp for horns then what in god's name is the 30watt amp for?? Why bother even making it as nothing is more sensitive than horns. Henk's STAX amps are not 2kW.

not the Stax, but the Stax plus the the ones he uses to bi amp

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Understood, but IMO you are sacrificing the purity of sound within your power envelope in order to gain that headroom for dynamic peaks. If your first watt is compromised...

Alternatively, not sure why someone would build a SOTA system sacrificing dynamics and scale. There is a happy medium.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
What about custom amps Ron ?
One of Gryphon Tube amp :cool: ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing