Why are the WBF servers so slow? PLEASE READ FOR FINAL UPDATED ANNOUNCEMENT

We can all take a deep breath as our web host worked a miracle as the site was off line only briefly. Crisis has been averted, patch done and WBF is A-OK. Sorry I can't say more about it but it's over and I was worried we would actually be off line for aperiod of several hours. I bolded my post because of my concern for the issue. Everything is done at our end :cool:

We can all take a deep breath as our web host worked a miracle as the site was off line only briefly. Crisis has been averted, patch done and WBF is A-OK. Sorry I can't say more about it but it's over and I was worried we would actually be off line for aperiod of several hours. I bolded my post because of my concern for the issue. Everything is done at our end :cool:
I don’t know what the patch has done. The issue which I can’t access via VPN is resolved.

Reactions: Steve Williams
Now that the smoke has settled and a fire was quickly put out last evening I am hoping everyone is noticing the speed now at which the forum moves. Further I am hoping everyone is also noticing the search function and how quickly responsive it is down to 3 symbols unlike typical search engines which only drill down to 4 symbols

Once again should anyone discover any issues, please use this thread to post your concerns as we will use it also to reply to members' concerns

One issue that I dislike that came with the recent Xenforo major update is the big black drop down arrow below each members username. We had the same finding with our previous major Xenforo update. Julian was masterful in being able to minimize the size of this drop down arrow and I have asked him when he is able to get his tired body out of bed and finds the time, to do the same with this present one. Any changes to the platform ,however minor it might seem to those who request some changes, have to understand that any change could break the platform. Im hoping my request to Julian can be easily done without incurring dire consequences.

So I am now going to open this thread up to members' suggestions as a "wish list" with the understanding that we will investigate and implement any and all suggestions which we feel reasonable and doable. Understand once again that over the past 3 months we have done the following tasks to bring this to fruition and we want to now entertain members' thoughts. Please understand that not everything is possible even if the ideas are great. The beauty of Xenforo platform unlike our former platform is that it has the ability to morph into something special and Xenforo coders are eager and willing to help us achieve our goals. All of this cost a truly large amount of money to get where we are presently but we are always of the feeling to never let the forum become old and stagnant .....hence we appreciate suggestions within reason and cost
1. Updated our forum to the most current PhP version
2. Updated Xenforo to the very latest platform
3.. Updated all of our plug ins that make our forum appear the way it does as well as providing so many functions other than the standard Xenforo shell
4. We have purchased a new server which has considerably more memory than our old server plus the new server has 8 engines which make it lightening speed responsive
5. We have worked incessantly to make our search function not only amazingly quick but have finally been able to incorporate Elastisearch which I purchased several years ago but was never successfully implemented. Elastisearch by its very nature of drilling down to 3 symbols needs considerable power to perform its' tasks. I am astonished as to how quickly it finds 3 symbol words

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing