Who's got the Best Male Voice in Rock, or Pop?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Did I mention Van Morrison? ...I don't think so, and I should have.

Along with Bob Dylan, Van's voice can reach some pretty deep emotional chords of my entire body & soul.

But more so with Van than Bob.

I vote Van Morrison my first top choice. :b

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am shocked, just shocked, that no one has mentioned Ian Gillian.
Also, David Gates.

pentatonic

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Boy I hate to be a newbie and bump a 1 month old thread, but this is something I actually thought of very much and with the help of my daughter even though is only 19 has some professional training and experience as a singer and dancer. I came up with my top 25 or so covering all rock and pop genres, even including Marin Gaye, Geoff Tate, M. Jackson, Gordon Lightfoot, Ian Gillan (which in his heydays was most probably the most naturally gifted rock singer and makes it at # 2 on my own list, Jesus Christ Superstar is a gem) and without a doubt with a very large margin was also my # 1, Freddie Mercury.

Yes he covered 4 octaves (and actually some more but was not advised to use that as it would have been detrimental to his voice), yes he was if not the most, in everyone I know top 3 list of performer, entertainer. But it's the way he traveled with rock in a way that as since not been seen, having fans from all walks and genres and it was ok for everyone. I had the immense pleasure of seeing him 5 times live (I was there on the blu-ray nights).

My daughter listens to everything and loves vocals and she thought that Freddie was so gifted that he made you forget just how awesome he was, and I give her credit for hitting it on the head.

Thanks for baring with me.

penta :)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Meat Loaf, only to be a bit different :)
But for me he can carry a lot of emotion in his voice.
Or Elvis Presley as he technically could be classified as rock/pop with some of his releases.

Then there is niche voices and how do you fit them into best voice, a lot of excellent niche vocal singers in rock and pop.
Or again if thinking about Elvis Presley, others such as Roy Orbison.
Ooh tough to narrow down to even 5 when considering best from many angles.

Cheers
Orb

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Justin Bieber

Just checking if you guys are paying attention. LOL.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
It seems everyone has different tastes. I much prefer to listen to someone like Tom Waits or Greg Brown, someone with experience and emotion in their voice. Meatloaf, IMHO, had none of this. One of the most talentless singers I've ever heard. Freddie Mercury? He seemed to scream more than sing. But hey, each to their own.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Steve,
I guess you were never a fan of Kurt Cobain as an angst emotional singer then :)
Agree each to their own, but I do wonder if some have a quality broad enough to be accepted by most in context of best singer for rock-pop; maybe Elvis Presley/Roy Orbison/and a few others already mentioned earlier.
I can understand why many mentioned would have those for/against, that can include being critical of say Freddie Mercury/Meat Loaf (sorry just could not resist recommending him :) )/etc.

Cheers
Orb

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Orb,
I wouldn't say I was a fan of Kurt Cobain, but to my ears, he sounded good on the type of music he played.
I also probably didn't stay quite in the context of "best rock or pop singer", just listed some singers that I like. I can't imagine anyone other than Robert Plant doing justice to Led Zep's music, his voice was perfect for their music. As for Meatloaf, well what is there left to say?

Steve,
I guess you were never a fan of Kurt Cobain as an angst emotional singer then :)
Agree each to their own, but I do wonder if some have a quality broad enough to be accepted by most in context of best singer for rock-pop; maybe Elvis Presley/Roy Orbison/and a few others already mentioned earlier.
I can understand why many mentioned would have those for/against, that can include being critical of say Freddie Mercury/Meat Loaf (sorry just could not resist recommending him :) )/etc.

Cheers
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although never a huge Queen fan, I must say Freddie had it all. Let me add 2 that some may not think worthy, but I feel that Phil Collins' voice shows great emotion and range, and Joe Cocker.... maybe one of the best blues/rock voices ever.

Let me also add Chris Rea to this.

For me it's not so much as to who is best, but rather who I enjoy the most. I'm not knowledgeable enough about the art of singing, but I do know what my ears like. ;):)

pentatonic

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal, Qc
Hi John, I just noticed Joe Cocker in your quoted post and agree on all counts, his version of "With a little Help..." is to die for.

Another oft forgotten singer who in my mind has one great voice is Burton Cummings ;)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John, I just noticed Joe Cocker in your quoted post and agree on all counts, his version of "With a little Help..." is to die for.

Another oft forgotten singer who in my mind has one great voice is Burton Cummings ;)

You know...I might even have some Guess Who vinyl around...will have to look.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing