Who's got the Best Male Voice in Rock, or Pop?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Joe Cocker.... talk about bringing emotion and feeling to the table.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If anybody says "Bob Dylan" we can safely disregard anything else he has to say!!!!:D :D :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Peter Cetera and Barry Manilow are pop singers who have very good voices.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Peter Cetera and Barry Manilow are pop singers who have very good voices.

Both have distinct voices, like when you hear them sing any song you can identify them instantly. I grew up with Manilow songs in high school, and being in a co-ed high school, the girls love to talk about his voice and songs, as his hits are mostly of the 'love song' nature, very romantic and meaningful to those who are in a relationship or even out of it. :D If I recall right, he's still performing in Vegas of late.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Marian Gold - Alphaville

For rock, Jack Black of Tenacious D is probably sadly overlooked due to the comedy style act, but the man can sing classic hard rock like few

Ronja

Jan 12, 2013
Amsterdam - the Netherlands
-- Hi Ronja, and Welcome! :b

Here's three more:

* Chris Cornell (Soundgarden - Audioslave)
* Trent Reznor (NIN)
* Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

Bob

Thnks NorthStar/Bob! Chris was the 4th on my list above but I wanted to stick with 3.

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
-- Manilow? ...Ain't my cup'a'tea.

Cetera? ...Who's he? ...From the same band as Manilow? :D

Gary, about Tom Jones?

The thread doesn't ask if you necessarily LIKE him, it asks about the voice, but I do like some of Manilow's recordings.

Peter Cetera was a lead singer in the group Chicago for many years.

Tom Jones, uh-uh. He sings with affectations kind of like the white boys (also white girls, black boys and black girls--EVERYBODY) on American Idol or America's Got Talent (who's contestants by and large don't have any) when they sing a soul song because they think it's cool (and they all suck at it) because they exaggerate what they think it is supposed to sound like.

We should have a companion thread to this one, "Singer-Songwriters who should have someone else sing their songs because their voices suck."

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I don't think he ranks as one of the greats, but I really like Chris Rea.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Yes Gary, I'm familiar with the band Chicago. ...I just didn't remember that Peter Cetera was its lead singer. ...I feel bad. :( ...I have a special place in my heart for Chicago.

* Tom Jones too was popular with the ladies.
...And I think Neil Diamond too; and James Taylor as well.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing