Who's got the Best Male Voice in Rock, or Pop?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The best one ever? Freddie Mercury... 4 octaves!!

Incredible range and power, but I can't say I ever cared much for what he did with it. Speaking of which, I don't always love his choice of material, but Michael McDonald has one of the best voices of my generation.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For the males, as noted, Freddy Mercury.

For the females, it's Amy Lee.

They who spell doom for the American Idol contestants that try to sing their songs LOL

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Sam Cooke
Elvis Presley
Antony Hegerty (Antony and the Johnsons)
Al Green
Louis Armstrong
Robert Plant
Marvin Gaye

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It's an objective criterion/measure anyhow.

For Pop, I still say Michael Jackson.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The best one ever? Freddie Mercury... 4 octaves!!

I tend to agree, when you see the tribute concert done, none of the bands-singers came close to matching him.
Ok Freddie had the advantage as they were for him originally, but taking that into account it still stood out just how much better he was.
From a heavy rock perspective there is James Hetfield of Metallica fame; most trying to sing like that (and as good) would destroy their vocal singing ability without extensive training.

Anyway tough call as there are so many excellent singers, which we remember now and again; as an example there is also Mathew Bellamy (Muse), and from a more unique perspective Tom Yorke.
I guess it is how we define the best male voice;range,power,control,etc.

Cheers
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Although never a huge Queen fan, I must say Freddie had it all. Let me add 2 that some may not think worthy, but I feel that Phil Collins' voice shows great emotion and range, and Joe Cocker.... maybe one of the best blues/rock voices ever.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Another with a unique rock voice is Billy Corgan from Smashing Pumpkins.
But I feel the following two probably trumps most, although we are talking when both were in their prime in terms of singing voice.
Robert Plant (an incredible voice more on raw talent, these days has greater skill but lost the full capability of that voice going back to the major years of Led Zeppelin).
And Meat Loaf (Michael Aday), again his voice covered many aspects like Robert Plant that would be tick boxes to define best male voice in Rock-Pop, like Robert I feel his voice was better years ago.

Both can convey scale, range, emotion, power,etc, and would put them equal to Freddie Mercury and in some aspects are actually better.
Cheers
Orb

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Although never a huge Queen fan, I must say Freddie had it all.

He didn't have the dirt. Many would consider that a positive, but I love voices with a raspy, smoky character. I have a limited tolerance for the extremes, where Joe Cocker and Tom Waits work, but Plant, McDonald, Rod Stewart, Bruce, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holliday...and many great blues and rock n roll voices...these are great voices to my ear. YMMV. But Mercury had incredible chops. Had he not found Queen, he could have had a great career in musical theater.

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
One thing about the raspy/guttural type voice most people think it is quite simple and easy for these type of singers but reality can be very different.
Along with James Hetfield from Metallica there is Lemmy (Motorhead), both from what I remember had vocal training and conditioning, but critically also perform lengthy vocal warmup before going on stage to sing.
Sure it will surprise some people who may not had realised it can take skill and understanding of singing to perform in this vocal style.

Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
:)
I know it sounds funny but it is true.
But then that is heavy rock for ya.
Cheers
Orb

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
I tend to agree, when you see the tribute concert done, none of the bands-singers came close to matching him.
Ok Freddie had the advantage as they were for him originally, but taking that into account it still stood out just how much better he was.
From a heavy rock perspective there is James Hetfield of Metallica fame; most trying to sing like that (and as good) would destroy their vocal singing ability without extensive training.

Anyway tough call as there are so many excellent singers, which we remember now and again; as an example there is also Mathew Bellamy (Muse), and from a more unique perspective Tom Yorke.
I guess it is how we define the best male voice;range,power,control,etc.

Cheers
Orb

It truly is an individual preference and how one defines the criteria. Orb' criteria list begins with technical aspects of singing, where mine would star with emotive. For myself vocal technique comes second to the singers ability to convey emotion and expression.
At times I have considered John Lennon a great vocalist despite him not having a great voice. Try "Baby, It's You" from Live At the BBC if you can.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It truly is an individual preference and how one defines the criteria. Orb' criteria list begins with technical aspects of singing, where mine would star with emotive. For myself vocal technique comes second to the singers ability to convey emotion and expression.
At times I have considered John Lennon a great vocalist despite him not having a great voice. Try "Baby, It's You" from Live At the BBC if you can.

+1. In fact, and IMO, none of the Beatles had great voices. Their songs worked because of great writing, and as Leslie said...its about conveying emotion and expression.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Yeah I agree and good point, and to me it is a combination of both.
As you say the greatest singers convey emotion in their singing, although many rock-pop songs may not necessarily require this; Freddie Mercury while having many songs that do not require that emotion-expression, there are several incredibly well done songs focused on this.
Going along with your view is why I mention in my last post Meat Loaf, from a rock perspective he can do this strongly while also ticking technical factors, same with Robert Plant.
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
+1. In fact, and IMO, none of the Beatles had great voices. Their songs worked because of great writing, and as Leslie said...its about conveying emotion and expression.

Personally I feel their songs and music (which were amazing I agree) was stronger than their vocals.
But I appreciate many will have diverse views on such a topic as this., for me I feel we need to split the quality of the music-lyrics-rythm-etc from that of identifying best singer-vocalist, otherwise we would be looking at best songwriter-musician.
Just my take on it so room for all of us to disagree.
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing