Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What about country rap? Yo, Y'all. :)
Actually, country is pretty diverse too. Old country, blue grass, country blues, western music, Western swing, are all pretty cool in my book, but it took me a while to get my head around it. "New" country is essentially 70's pop: some good, some banal.

Lady Antebellum would support this :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hate rap in general, but I recognize genius when I see it. Eminem is a genius and I own all his albums....

Yes Mathers is good. Lots of substance in what he says.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I like Old School Rap.... Sugar Hill Gang, Cameo, Tone Loc, US3 and Sir Mix A Lot

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I haven't heard enough rap to comment in any meaningful way about it, but I have heard rap I like.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Quite simply, RAP, Hip-Hop and the like just plain sucks.

It isn't music, it's just noise made by society's misfits.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like Old School Rap.... Sugar Hill Gang, Cameo, Tone Loc, US3 and Sir Mix A Lot

Partial to late 80's and 90's myself. Of the new guys I like NeYo who can both sing and rap. Heck of a showman as well.

There's this one collaboration between Legend and Ludacris that was ridiculous (in a good way)

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
How do I check "folk rock"?

Don't like rap at all except when it appears in small doses in songs by artists I like (ex REM).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

prerich

May 21, 2012
Cameo isn't considered rap, it belongs to the R&B/Funk group ;) .

When it comes to rap, you have to have something to say. Most of todays rap is much like the movie "Idiocracy" - dumbed down nothingness!!!!

I voted Gospel but there are varied styles in gospel to include rap. Some of the most talented rappers belong to Gospel (Phanatik from CMR just to mention one). Gospel aslo includes Jazz (Kirk Whalum, Johnathan Butler, Ben Tankard just to name a few). Gospel even has country (called Southern Gospel). I remember playing an instrumental passage from a Florida Mass Choir album (recorded live) for an audiophile, and he was very impressed!!! Asked me who it was - and I blew his mind when I told him that's gospel choir music. He never knew gospel could have complexed passages like that of classical, and he went on and on about dynamics. I guess with me, I like all styles of music - depending on what you have to say :) (Oh and I love all types of Jazz too).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Rappers are like candy. You have to remove the wrappers to enjoy them.

Tom

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
By the way, Easy Listening, Gospel, and Flamenco made the list but R&B didn't?!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Quite simply, RAP, Hip-Hop and the like just plain sucks.

It isn't music, it's just noise made by society's misfits.
Same thing said about:
Elvis
The Beatles
etc.
And Jazz
And Beetoven

I guess time will tell. The crap gets filtered out over the years.

In addition, good music (rock, classical and jazz, even gospel and other types, gets performed by many artists / orchestras and operatic companies because it is the music that's good, not the allure of some slimeball, criminal rap performers who appeal to the lower common denominators of society.

I don't hold it against "upstanding citizens" who listens to rap, I just don't want to be there while it's happening.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This thread could have been labeled "Who likes root canals?"

prerich

May 21, 2012
Well they certainly rapped "Word Up"
In rap culture - that's not considered rap (it was very reminisent of 70's Parliment/Funkadelic stuff with 80's R&B pop....as a matter of fact - Cameo - when they were 11 members strong - was assoiciated with P-Funk on the Chocolate City division of Casablanca - where they had the funk hit "Rigor Mortis"). R&B music was "rapping" before it was even called that ;). Word Up, Single Life, and Candy - are all considerd R&B to African Americans - we'd never put it in the Rap catagory (flow, inflections, and basic rythmic style would indicate R&B - if we called it rap - we would say its pretty bubble gum, but because of its style - we recongnize it as R&B).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
In rap culture - that's not considered rap (it was very reminisent of 70's Parliment/Funkadelic stuff with 80's R&B pop....as a matter of fact - Cameo - when they were 11 members strong - was assoiciated with P-Funk on the Chocolate City division of Casablanca - where they had the funk hit "Rigor Mortis"). R&B music was "rapping" before it was even called that ;). Word Up, Single Life, and Candy - are all considerd R&B to African Americans - we'd never put it in the Rap catagory (flow, inflections, and basic rythmic style would indicate R&B - if we called it rap - we would say its pretty bubble gum, but because of its style - we recongnize it as R&B).
Prerich: did you post in my thread re gospel choir music on vinyl? Love to hear from you if you haven't.
And isn't one of the 'first' rap records considered 'The Revolution Will Not be Televised"?

prerich

May 21, 2012
And Jazz
And Beetoven
Oh yes!!! They called jazz noise because of some of the very same reasons they call rap noise (mind you ...a lot of rap is noise)! Here are a few reasons - no discernable melody, too much syncopation, bass timing on the 2 and 4 instead of the 1 and 3, and the over use of rhythm i.e. drums. Musical taste - that's what it boils down to. My taste goes past genres. I like Classical (but not all Classical) I like most Jazz, and most Gospel has its roots in Blues and Jazz (some would like to tell you its the other way around - Thomas Dorsey - the Father of Gospel Music - was a Blues/Jazz musician first).

I think a lot of people get lost in the syncopation of most rhythmic styles of music. Because of this syncopation - you must actively listen to hear the lyrics (especially in rap). The "beat" can hypnotize you - but if you are used to hearing that - you tend to focus on other aspects of the song - you literally dissect a song into its individual layers - for my jazz train of thought:

Rhythm section and Bass - holding the groove together
Lead instruments and melody - the basic thought or feel of the song
What I like to call tasties - or incidentals (or dynamics) - things that give a song its character soft to loud ratio, ect.
And if it has vocals - what is the artist saying - and how are they presenting their message.

These are the things that go on in my mind when I first hear a song - with rap, my train of thought is a little different

Content, flow, style, and cadance - I listen to what you have to say first - if its poppy - or bubble gum - click - next!
If you pass the content test - next I listen to what have you borrowed from more traditional styles of music (samples, patterns, are their any real instruments being played, are your samples creative and obsure).
I'm not going to list the beat because it's always there.

I approach different styles a different way. Most people that I know that enjoy all genres - generally do this. Those that are stuck - usually look for the same things on every type of music, It's like going to Pizza Hut and ordiering seared Yellowfin ... you're not going to get it, and you leave disappointed. I know how to enjoy prime rib, but I know how to enjoy a good hot dog too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing