Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easy Listening

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Flamenco

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Album of the Year, got her 4 or 5 Grammy Awards, Platinum many times over and it continues to sell better today than many artists can only dream of. You must have been REALLY busy to miss this one Gary. It was HUGE. It marked the return of Neo-Soul.

Between 1985 to 1999, I was too busy to even search for a mate. Most of the women I dated were either colleagues or sisters of colleagues. I had to retire in order to start seriously looking for a wife to spend the rest of my life with. The way I acquired my music was to leave my credit card at two record shops in Singapore. Obviously, the really saleable albums they sold to walk-in customers!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I can imagine. You were one of the ICT pioneers of SG. You really must have been busy!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This was the first thread where in the last two weeks I became active: I voted. ...In the first category, at the top.
...I'm from the 25% WBF category of music preference (Class), from the average population of music voters (37 right now). :b

* New Age would have been swell to include, as well World, and Alternative. ...I know some folks here who fit those music genres.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This was the first thread where in the last two weeks I became active: I voted. ...In the first category, at the top.
...I'm from the 25% WBF category of music preference (Class), from the average population of music voters (37 right now). :b

* New Age would have been swell to include, as well World, and Alternative. ...I know some folks here who fit those music genres.

Bob, when I started the poll, i tried to think of all of the various music styles that are fairly common to the western world. I had posted the poll and forgot a couple of styles, which Steve was kind enough to correct.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to include other forms, such as the one's you have suggested...Mods??

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Bob, when I started the poll, i tried to think of all of the various music styles that are fairly common to the western world. I had posted the poll and forgot a couple of styles, which Steve was kind enough to correct.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to include other forms, such as the one's you have suggested...Mods??

We are still missing R&B.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I didn't vote because I wanted to tick off several boxes and poll only lets you choose one. I equally enjoy, electronica, jazz, classical, rock, and singer-songwriter. Can you adjust the poll to allow more than one choice?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyway we can do poll allowing people to indicate what % of time they spend on which time of music? Then when summed, we know the % of the total participating population of WBF combined for each genre ( ie, if one person does not enter for a genre...give him 0% for that genre and that gets averaged in.). Would be interesting if collectively WBF listens to 35% classical and 25% jazz or whatever.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Unfortunately there is a maximum number of choices and you reached it

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I didn't vote because I wanted to tick off several boxes and poll only lets you choose one. I equally enjoy, electronica, jazz, classical, rock, and singer-songwriter. Can you adjust the poll to allow more than one choice?
Peter, I think many of us, including myself, like many different forms of music. However, I do have a slight preference for one form and therefore that is my favorite. Do you not have a slight preference for one type of music? One that floats your boat just that little bit more than the others.:)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Anyway we can do poll allowing people to indicate what % of time they spend on which time of music? Then when summed, we know the % of the total participating population of WBF combined for each genre ( ie, if one person does not enter for a genre...give him 0% for that genre and that gets averaged in.). Would be interesting if collectively WBF listens to 35% classical and 25% jazz or whatever.

Lloyd, i think that is an excellent idea, why don't you start such a thread/poll? OTOH, since most of the forum doesn't seem to actively participate ( not sure why??), I'm not sure how accurate the poll would be for the forum members:(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Davey, your thread (music poll) is perfect.

-- Me too I've read the entire thread (and many more other threads) and all comments; like members saying that they would have like to have a multi-choice option. ...And also some members mentioned other genres of music; just like I me too I did, a simple mention, not a criticism.

There are ten choices; good enough, which include at least the four main ones.
And, one choice only is just fine, because we all have one genre we listen to more than the others; nowadays.
I'm in the same boat as everyone else; I like several genres (dozens perhaps), but Classical which includes a wide variety of derivatives (Orchestral, Chamber, Opera, etc.) is at the top of my list. I don't need to select more when one is the one I listen the most to.
Then of course Jazz at number two, and Blues at number three, and World (International) at number four.

But as it is right now this poll is a very good representation of the member's overall first top choice music listening preference. ...Here at WBF.

And we all knew already that Jazz is very strong here (1).
And for Classical to be at number two is a 'classique' revelation (2); the music of sophistication, mathematics, power, full gamut of emotional chords, and all that historic progressive classic jazz.
Rock makes sense 'tree' (3); everyone grew up with Rock more or less (Zeppelin, Stones, Doors, Jimi & Janis & Jim, etc.).
Blues (4) is very cool; the devil music. :cool:

* Andre would have voted for New Age but he can still vote, if he didn't already, for his next second best choice, with the addition of a special note in his post on why RAP is not his bag in particular. :b

Reggae, I like, sometimes. ...RAP, never. ...I got one Eminem CD: The Marshall Mathers LP.
...Oh, and some very old Ice-T, Tone Loc, Public Enemy, L.L. Cool J, Young M.C., ... but they are under a foot of dust and from a time when I was lost.

Classical music is what I listen the most, by a very good margin (Best). ...And Jazz & Blues are just behind, for those type of days, when it's sunny and raining at the exact same time. :b

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
At Christmas time, very colorful. BTW, it is spelled with a "w" in front.

Seriously, listen to some of the early Dylan - it was called "Talking Blues". Also Rex Harrison in "My Fair Lady." He couldn't sing, so Lerner and Loewe created speaking to music parts for him. "Why can't a woman be more like a man" is early rap. Also the recitatives in 18th and early 19th century opera are spoken to typically non orchestral accompaniment.

Larry

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I voted Jazz as that seems to be my go-to genre when I can't think of anything else to pick. I listened to a lot of New Age/Ambient when I was stressed during my ICT days - so Windham Hill, Tangerine Dreams, etc. Celebration of "wins" was usually with Rock/Blues. My favorite album used to be Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking for whatever strange reason. Lately, it has been a lot of EDM. My guilty pleasure would be Stylistics and Serge Gainsbourg ;)

Zydeco is always a good bet to irritate audiophiles :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I voted Jazz as that seems to be my go-to genre when I can't think of anything else to pick. I listened to a lot of New Age/Ambient when I was stressed during my ICT days - so Windham Hill, Tangerine Dreams, etc. Celebration of "wins" was usually with Rock/Blues. My favorite album used to be Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking for whatever strange reason. Lately, it has been a lot of EDM. My guilty pleasure would be Stylistics and Serge Gainsbourg ;)

Zydeco is always a good bet to irritate audiophiles :D

Yo, Buckwheat!:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing