Whiplash

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've heard Simmons isn't really supporting actor as hes onscreen the entire movie- true? Would he win in the Best Actor category?

looks like Birdman is favored to win Best Picture now post-DGAs.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've heard Simmons isn't really supporting actor as hes onscreen the entire movie- true? Would he win in the Best Actor category?

looks like Birdman is favored to win Best Picture now post-DGAs.

I really felt JK Simmons was indeed a Best Actor role as I also believe that Steve Carrell was Best Supporting not Best Actor category. Had that been the case I believe JK Simmons would have won Best Actor and Steve Carrell would have been Best Supporting.

I hope that Birdman does win. Hollywood has been going gah gah over Boyhood and its 12 years in the making. I thought the concept was novel but the movie IMO was ordinary and far from Best Picture. I also hope that Alejandro González Iñárritu wins for Best Director.

Having said all of this Whiplash was still my favorite film of the year

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Don't watch movies much (do buy a lot of discs later). Thanks for bringing this one to my attention, Steve, never would have gotten it from the name!

Making a decent living paying music is extremely hard and keeps getting harder. All sorts of horror stories (and a few good ones) on the trumpet site I help moderate.

Buddy Rich has quite a rep himself for rants and there are a few videos floating around... Interesting the stories those who played with him tell (good and bad).

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I don't really get the Birdman for best picture talk. While I enjoyed it and thought it was good, I thought The Imitation Game and Whiplash were far better.
I'm sure it's a taste thing but to me it wasn't even close.

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hollywood loves them some Hollywood...if Birdman wins, the trend continues.

Steve- I hope to see both Birdman and Whiplash this week. I've heard Birdman is a B+ masquerading as best picture, but will see. Agree that Boyhood was a snoozer and overhyped.

Steve Williams

Given the favorites and assuming Whiplash and Boyhood are non contenders, I would narrow it down to between Birdman and The Imitation Game. Why I would choose Birman was the depth of the main character (Michael Keaton vs Benedict Cumberbatch) as well as the direction of Alejandro González Iñárritu over Morten Tyldum because of the different levels of Birdman. Benedict Cumberbatch acted fairly even throughout the film whereas Michael Keaton went from someone looking totally normal in one scene to a raving lunatic in another. I was also fascinated by the camera work in Brirdman where virtually one camera is used throughout following the actors from room to room and down long hallways. It was brilliant whereas The Imitation was overall a very fine and well told story.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
In reality, all of these films are lucky there hasn't been a movie version of Banshee made yet. That would smoke them all :D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Certainly a down year for movies. I've been surprised that "Calvary" has garnered any awards...

Steve Williams

Certainly a down year for movies. I've been surprised that "Calvary" has garnered any awards...

Especially when nominees can now number as many as 10.

How about Selma and the snub for no Best Actor or Best Director nominations for David Oyelowo and Ava DuVernay

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Especially when nominees can now number as many as 10.

How about Selma and the snub for no Best Actor or Best Director nominations for David Oyelowo and Ava DuVernay

In DuVernay's case, I think its because it was her first real, big release feature film. There also is some controversy regarding her portrayal of LBJ which may have spooked some.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great movie. Never imagined a movie about drummers can be so gripping.

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
The one thing I think the movie failed to convey is the discontinuity between the amount of work, dedication, years of practice, cost, devotion and love of music/instrument

VS.

the measly pittance most musicians are compensated for all their effort. It is definitely a work of love and not of money for most, but it is often also something that you do because you just can't help yourself. It just must be so.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I found this interesting:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/whiplash-getting-jazz-right-movies

Still look forward to the movie on DVD, though.

Here's what jazz drummer extraordinaire Gregory Hutchinson had to say on his FB page

Whiplash is horrible really Hollywood fu....Up again really stop making movies about music because yall [sic] never get it right...just remember masses of people see this and go wow and thats so sad realy...I'm sorry i never had a teacher like that the first time anyone of my teachers would have tried to slap me would have been the last time he his hand

The other comments are interesting because many come from professional musicians....

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
finally saw Whiplash last night- really good movie. Not sure it was ever a Best Picture competitor to be honest.

as a musician growing up, I would agree that the entire concept is pretty outlandish. i read its "adapted" from a short film, no basis in reality. it felt like Full Metal Jacket in many parts.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Here's what jazz drummer extraordinaire Gregory Hutchinson had to say on his FB page

Whiplash is horrible really Hollywood fu....Up again really stop making movies about music because yall [sic] never get it right...just remember masses of people see this and go wow and thats so sad realy...I'm sorry i never had a teacher like that the first time anyone of my teachers would have tried to slap me would have been the last time he his hand

The other comments are interesting because many come from professional musicians....

Unfortunately, I was completely turned off by Whiplash, and for many of the reasons Hutchinson and Peter Erskine allude to. Just none of it rang true.

This however, looks great:

http://www.indiewire.com/article/wa...er-for-documentary-talent-has-hunger-20160127

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
'Whiplash' is a Hollywood film (for grand public impact, grandeur of style, money 'splasher'). This, America.

But this one, that's more like it (I agree, looks the real deal, must be the real deal, is the real deal):
? http://www.traileraddict.com/talent-has-hunger/trailer ?

Hi Bob,

Yes, I should have mentioned it's a documentary. Doh!

That will, of course, make it a very different film from Whiplash. But I still wish Whiplash had sought to dramatize something approximating real life, rather than simply dramatizing drama.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Hi Bob,

Yes, I should have mentioned it's a documentary. Doh!

That will, of course, make it a very different film from Whiplash. But I still wish Whiplash had sought to dramatize something approximating real life, rather than simply dramatizing drama.

Like Star Wars ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing