Which turntable do you prefer and why?

I guess with Vyger, there’s also the issue of (un)reliability too.

The control unit and compressor have been entirely re-designed from scratch, named the TITAN . One may read about the details in the following thread :

IMG_9530.jpeg

Yeah, I have that with the Kuzma arm. Multiple carts pre-aligned on the Kuzma head shells. But it’s surprisingly time consuming still. I’m never really going to swap out head shells for just one record and then swap back, for example. If I’m going to swap, it’ll be for the duration of a listening session.
Swapping arm/cartridges for one record does not work well for me either, unless i am doing compares where i have both arms running simultaneously on the record. It takes at least one side for a cartridge to play decent, they need warmup time. I normally group records that i want to play on one arm together, occasionally a record is to warped for play with the LT arm and i will do a emergency use of the radial arm instead. :oops:

Swapping arm/cartridges for one record does not work well for me either, unless i am doing compares where i have both arms running simultaneously on the record. It takes at least one side for a cartridge to play decent, they need warmup time. I normally group records that i want to play on one arm together, occasionally a record is to warped for play with the LT arm and i will do a emergency use of the radial arm instead. :oops:
Ok, hmm. I can't say I've ever noticed a cartridge warmup period. How long is the cool down period before a cartridge needs to be warmed up again?

The control unit and compressor have been entirely re-designed from scratch, named the TITAN . One may read about the details in the following thread :

View attachment 118291

Is this seriously the turntable control unit and vacuum compressor?

WOW. a picture is worth a thousand words. This is as big as some amplification.

Reactions: bonzo75
Is this seriously the turntable control unit and vacuum compressor?

WOW. a picture is worth a thousand words. This is as big as some amplification.
Whilst there is a touch of foreshortening present in that image , but yes one might say that it has presence.
This image should give a better idea of scale. Not my system btw.

IMG_9334.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, hmm. I can't say I've ever noticed a cartridge warmup period. How long is the cool down period before a cartridge needs to be warmed up again?
Half an hour maybe ? And i am currently using the built in phono stage in my Primare 928 preamp, just switching input from mc to mm, so not a big change in electrical path. TT runs constantly, and is started one hour before use, so pumps and motor are steady and warm. All electronics are warmed up one hour before use, but sound best after a couple of hours o_O

Reactions: PeterA
Ok, hmm. I can't say I've ever noticed a cartridge warmup period.
Are you serious? All cartridges in my experience take at least a full record side of play before they reach their normal sound. Actually it’s more like halfway through the second side. That’s what I hear each morning when I start playing records.

I can’t believe any experienced vinyl fan wouldn’t notice this.

Half an hour maybe ? And i am currently using the built in phono stage in my Primare 928 preamp, just switching input from mc to mm, so not a big change in electrical path. TT runs constantly, and is started one hour before use, so pumps and motor are steady and warm. All electronics are warmed up one hour before use, but sound best after a couple of hours o_O

I definitely notice a cartridge warm up period. About one LP side. Easy to hear. The music just opens up after a while. This occurs with all of my cartridges.

Are you serious? All cartridges in my experience take at least a full record side of play before they reach their normal sound. Actually it’s more like halfway through the second side. That’s what I hear each morning when I start playing records.

I can’t believe any experienced vinyl fan wouldn’t notice this.
I am serious. So if I play the same record side back to back, then I should hear the heavens open up and angels coming down on the second playback by these accounts. I'll try it.

The transducers (cartridge and speaker) are the two most dominant signatures in a system.

Perhaps the cartridge on the K3 is not yet warmed up.

• Haha
Reactions: bazelio and Lagonda
It's like the Vyger is shipped with a Pilium amp now lol. Is this the same unit that ships with an Atlantis as well?

Pino (The Vyger owner) had the Pilium for voicing his speakers initially (when I visited), he did not voice the speakers with the TT but did so with an Oppo, as the speakers might be bought by digital owners, not necessarily Vyger TT owners.

The speakers played with the Viva amps at Munich, which seem to be in the photo. I wasn't at Munich this year but iaxel and byrdparis were impressed by that room.

Pino now has got some powerful GM70s made to run the speakers, I think. I would love to listen to them with those amps.

I am serious. So if I play the same record side back to back, then I should hear the heavens open up and angels coming down on the second playback by these accounts. I'll try it.

Generally, I never find it particularly musical when the play starts, and it does warm up and get more musical (more engaging, better flow, tone, openness, not sounding constrained) towards the end of the side.

Reactions: Bobvin and matakana

I do not think anyone was recounting the heavens opening up and angels coming down, but sure, depending on the system's resolving abilities, it can make quite a difference. It also depends on the cartridge. My Colibri does not take as long as the vintage Ortofon or Technics MM. It's quite easy to hear, but it seems not all notice it.

Generally, I never find it particularly musical when the play starts, and it does warm up and get more musical (more engaging, better flow, tone, openness, not sounding constrained) towards the end of the side.

Dynamics improve also. The sound generally becomes more natural as the cartridge warms up.

Reactions: Bbock and bonzo75
For me it takes two Lp sides to warm up a cartridge.

After a 30 min idle warm up period it takes 1.5 hours playing to warm up the whole setup (amps, speakers, etc) and 3.5 hours listening at full performance.

Last edited:
Sorry, you only get the "Angel" part when you play Emmylou Harris with a VDH cartridge, and sometimes the sibilants makes her sound like she is lisping ! ;)IMG_2425.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing