What's your favourite LIVE!!! Album?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You do mean extremely poorly recorded, don't you? One of the most dynamically compressed albums in existence, and it actually sounds worse than many of the free Bruce Hornsby MP3's offered by livedownloads.com (some are the exact same performances, but the free MP3's have up to 6+ dB more dynamic range).

Well of course what was I thinking. Forget the fact that it's great music. What the hell was I thinking? I have to wonder what it's like to post something here and not get attacked. Tell you what rbb..whatever, I'll delete my post so as not to mislead anyone. Does that work for you?

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Just discovered this gem:

http://www.amazon.com/Bride-Noisemakers-Bruce-Hornsby-The/dp/B004WB0QNE/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_2

2 discs and not a weak track in the bunch; extremely well recorded.

UPDATE: forget what I said guys. rrbertttrret..whatever says I am dead wrong so disregard the above. My apologies to anyone who mistakenly bought this turkey per my advice. It's a piece of crap.

es347, If it was me i would remove your update, why ????? because whe are ALL old enough to make up our own mind if this is or not a good album, but MOST IMPORTANT is that YOU believe so.:)

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I can do that of course but recently I've found that expressing one's opinion on WBF, at least my opinion, is often met with a totally unwarranted attack. The Hornsby double live cd is great music but I was told in no uncertain terms that it was compressed and I was more or less a fool to give it props. And here all along I thought this hobby was all about the music....yeah right.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I can do that of course but recently I've found that expressing one's opinion on WBF, at least my opinion, is often met with a totally unwarranted attack. The Hornsby double live cd is great music but I was told in no uncertain terms that it was compressed and I was more or less a fool to give it props. And here all along I thought this hobby was all about the music....yeah right.

There are all kinds of people in this world audio forums are not different you can please some but you can't please every one, you're opinion is just as good as anyone elses if they don't agree SO WHAT it will never stop me from giving it, the only way to shut me up is to banned me and it as been done on other forums, if there is no freedom of speech on a forum i don't want to belong to such a forum plain and simple, be polite - don't insult - BUT you have a right to your opinion.

Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Right you are MrA. My intent wasn't to turn this into a melodrama but when someone expresses an opinion regarding a cd or LP they like even if I don't agree I never push back on their post. Opinions are like rectums...everybody has one...maybe not everyone, and I have always heard that they were entitled to it. Perhaps some here don't subscribe to that theorem. Ok enough on this topic...before Steve pulls the plug :D

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think sometimes too much emphasis is placed on the quality of a particular recording, whether that be compression, mastering, country of pressing origin and the like. I'm not discounting the importance of them, but I also don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment, should I have an inferior copy.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Last edited:

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I think sometimes too much emphasis is placed on the quality of a particular recording, whether that be compression, mastering, country of pressing origin and the like. I'm not discounting the importance of them, but I also don't let it get in the way of my enjoyment, should I have an inferior copy.

A big amen to that John! After all, isn't it all about the music?...well almost

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

prerich

May 21, 2012
Kirk Whalum "The Gospel According to Jazz Volume II". This album was hot! It featured George Duke, Ta Ta Vega, Johnathan Bultler and many other splendid musicians and singers.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Having little to do with recording quality and nothing to do with "audiophile" quality. Not in order:

Bill Evans Village Vanguard Recordings
Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now
Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Miles Davis - Live at The Plugged Nickle

That's a good "top five." But I love live albums and there are many more.

Tim

prerich

May 21, 2012
Kirk also has a Vol. III that has a particular number called "Fit for Battle". It's a three-way "battle" between his 86 year old uncle, his son, and himself! That song was off the chain, the old man could still blow at 86!!!!!

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Audiophile live album,Paul Berner

Having little to do with recording quality and nothing to do with "audiophile" quality. Not in order:

Bill Evans Village Vanguard Recordings
Van Morrison - It's Too Late to Stop Now
Allman Brothers - Live at the Fillmore
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Miles Davis - Live at The Plugged Nickle

That's a good "top five." But I love live albums and there are many more.

Tim
Great list!
Let me recommend a new audiophile;) live album;
Monty Alexander's former bassist Paul Berner has released a gorgeous Bill Frisell inspired Elvis tribute or maybe a musical narrative on the life of Elvis would be a better description.
The music was recorded by the Sound Liaison people in Amsterdam in the studio in front of a live audience.
The sound quality is incredibly good, and so is the playing and choice of repertoire.
Reed player Michael Moore is puttin 'in what maybe his most touching and melodic performance ever, Pieter Teehuis of Metropol orchestra fame is clearly enjoying the freedom of a small setting and the almost telepathic interplay with 2nd guitarist ED Verhoeff.No drums in this quartet and they are not needed with Paul Berner keepin' the whole thing in place with his majestic bass playing.

The only downfall of the album is that you have the audience applauding between tunes.I wish they had edited that out when mixing but in all fairness I have the same problem when listening to i.e. Bill Evans at the Vanguard or Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note. The music on those album takes me to certain mental state and somehow the applause always comes too soon,(waking me up?)
But anyhow highly recommended.
The album is available as a 24/96 Studio Master Wav download at the Sound Liaison website;http://www.soundliaison.com/
One can listen to all tracks, full length, in Mp3 format on the website

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hadouk Trio - - - - - Live à FIP

Hadouk Trio     Live à Fi P.jpg

Sorry double post. :mad:

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Michel Jonasz - - - - - La Fabuleuse Histoire De Mr. Swing.

Jonasz Michel     La Fabuleuse Histoire De Mr Swing.jpg

Sorry double post.:mad:

Last edited:

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
This one is from back in the day when the young Lions were still young, and it proves that all the fuss about this new generation of straight ahead Jazz musicians was justified

Last edited:

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Applause waking up 24bit :)

Great list!
Let me recommend a new audiophile;) live album;
Monty Alexander's former bassist Paul Berner has released a gorgeous Bill Frisell inspired Elvis tribute or maybe a musical narrative on the life of Elvis would be a better description.
The music was recorded by the Sound Liaison people in Amsterdam in the studio in front of a live audience.
The sound quality is incredibly good, and so is the playing and choice of repertoire.
Reed player Michael Moore is puttin 'in what maybe his most touching and melodic performance ever, Pieter Teehuis of Metropol orchestra fame is clearly enjoying the freedom of a small setting and the almost telepathic interplay with 2nd guitarist ED Verhoeff.No drums in this quartet and they are not needed with Paul Berner keepin' the whole thing in place with his majestic bass playing.

The only downfall of the album is that you have the audience applauding between tunes.I wish they had edited that out when mixing but in all fairness I have the same problem when listening to i.e. Bill Evans at the Vanguard or Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note. The music on those album takes me to certain mental state and somehow the applause always comes too soon,(waking me up?)
But anyhow highly recommended.
The album is available as a 24/96 Studio Master Wav download at the Sound Liaison website;http://www.soundliaison.com/
One can listen to all tracks, full length, in Mp3 format on the website

Yes I have that one too and agree with you that ''the only downfall of the album is the applauding between tunes'' , same goes for the now often bespoken album from the same company, recorded in the same series, the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' download/album from Carmen Gomes, but less for the Benny Green album mentioned above.
The music that Miss Gomes and band is making and indeed Paul Berner too, is somehow so calming and soothing that you don't want to be taken away from that state of mind that the music puts you in.
The Sound Liaison people has just released a new album,''After Silence'' which has been recorded in the same studio but without an audience. ''After Silence'' has the same effect but without the ''waking you up'' between the tunes. And the trumpet player Andre Heuvelman is incredible, where does Sound Liaison find these musicians!?

and they are giving away 2 downloads as well:
http://www.soundliaison.com/;)

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
This one is from back in the day when the young Lions were still young, and it proves that all the fuss about this new generation of straight ahead Jazz musicians was justified

+1! I've used this as a demo disc for years.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing