What's your favourite LIVE!!! Album?

ADGold

Feb 7, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I should have seen this one coming .... I dunno - to me it is just (very) good improvised music for solo instrument.

When I am in the mood to listen to "Jazz" I would never play the Koln Concert. My Koln Concert mood is more similar to say Indian raga (hariprasad chaurasia) or say Anouar Brahem). Not sure what label to stick on it.

I just picked this album up yesterday and completely agree with this post.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Alison Krauss - Live
David Sanborn - Straight to the Heart
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Revisited

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Dave Brubeck - Carnegie Hall is becoming is real favourite and Speakers Corner just released a 2LP set of this. I might have to order it!:)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Lots of fine titles mentioned!

Live at Ronnie Scott's - Claire Martin
200 More Miles - cowboy Junkies

colonel66

May 30, 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
My votes go to:

Art Pepper - The Complete Art Pepper at Ronnie Scott's Club
John McLaughlin- The Heart of Things Live in Paris
Keith Jarrett - At the Blue Note
Dave Holland - Extended Play Live at Birdland
Sonny Rollins - A night at the Village Vanguard

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I could give a whole list of the usual suspects Miles,Trane,Cannonball,Wes Montgomery,Art Blakey,........
But if I may recommend 2 living and performing artist recorded in excellent quality...
Carmen Gomes inc.and Paul Berner Band recorded in the studio before a live audience in the
Sound Liaison Studio Showcase Series.
SSS1.jpg Paul Berner Band.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It sounds fabulous, and worth $20.98 - 10%; I do think that the ECM's are generally overpriced, but OTOH they almost always sound exceptionally good.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
the Sound Liaison downloads are great sounding 24/96 wav files and I paid 16.50 euro for a whole album,

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Last edited:

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Carmen Gomes

this is from a recording for Dutch Television,the versions on the Thousand Shades of Blue album
,sounds even better.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Here is another old classic, Michel Jonasz -- - La Fabuleuse Histoire De Mr Swing.

michel-jonasz-la-fabuleuse-histoire-de-mister-swing-13748.jpg

Last edited:

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Hadouk Trio - - - Soft Landing from the album Air Hadouk

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Just discovered this gem:

http://www.amazon.com/Bride-Noisemakers-Bruce-Hornsby-The/dp/B004WB0QNE/ref=ntt_mus_dp_dpt_2

2 discs and not a weak track in the bunch; extremely well recorded.

You do mean extremely poorly recorded, don't you? One of the most dynamically compressed albums in existence, and it actually sounds worse than many of the free Bruce Hornsby MP3's offered by livedownloads.com (some are the exact same performances, but the free MP3's have up to 6+ dB more dynamic range).

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Don Ellis-Live in Montreaux

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing