Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com

Locrian Audio, Dallas, Texas​

The Locrian Audio team and our business partners are happy to have become sponsors at WBF. We have appreciated (and enjoyed) the coverage of all aspects of our hobby the forum and its members have provided so far, the thoughtful participation of its members and the collaborative efforts to improve understanding of all elements of sound reproduction at home for better enjoyment of music produced by our favorite artists. We promise we will do our best to contribute in this collective effort.

About Us​

Locrian Audio was founded in April 2023 by Basile Theodoropoulos, a long-term audiophile, and is a specialized dealer based in Dallas focused on assembling "end-game" audio systems. We established Locrian Audio to present another view of the high-end audio with components not readily available in the US market, where we allow space for experimentation, comparisons in a controlled environment without the pressure of sales people. We gravitate around open baffle and omnidirectional speakers and electronics with realistic dynamics, natural sound and are built to last. We would love to jointly listen to your favorite music in our systems and get the pleasure of a new listening experience.

IMG_0246.jpeg

We are the US distributor for German Physiks omnidirectional loudspeakers and IO Sound Design open baffle speakers. Furthermore, we are dealers for Ypsilon Electronics vacuum tube and hybrid amplification products, Accuphase, the digital line from EMM Labs, Shelter Cartridges and Tri-Planar tonearms. We have available for audition multiple loudspeakers from German Physiks, most of the Ypsilon Electronics products, Shelter and key digital components from EMM Labs and Accuphase, including the C-47 phono and AC-6 MC cartridge.

Curated Systems

To celebrate our sponsorship and the launch of Locrian Audio at What’s Best Forum we would like to offer the opportunity for WBF members to experience some of our unique products. For that purpose, we have created four curated bundles that are 25% off list price. The discount applies for the entire bundle or any two products within the bundle. They have been designed to address different listening room sizes and listening philosophy.

1. “No holds” System

This is a no-compromise solution, and it is comprised of EMM Labs DA2V2 DAC, Ypsilon Electronics PST-100 MK2 preamplifier and Hyperion mono amplifiers, connected to German Physiks PQS 302 Loudspeakers. Cabling is all custom-made pure silver from Ypsilon Electronics.

We love this system because it replicates the large scale of orchestral events without any signs of stress, even for the most demanding musical material and at high SPL, when needed. It reflects the “being there” feeling, independent of the size of the orchestra, musical genre, and performance venue, being live or studio recording. The system can be further complemented with the EMM NS1 streamer which allows full access to world internet radio and Qobuz and/or Spotify. For the analog lovers, we propose to add the Accuphase C-47 phono stage, which sounds immediate and natural while it provides multiple optimization functions and connections for multiple tonearms. We like multiple cartridges but our go to model is the Shelter Harmony, which performs well above its price point. It is extremely versatile, handles accurately all genres and reproduces graciously average recordings. For those that opt to use their current speakers, the Ypsilon Aelius Silver monos may be an outstanding alternative and realize some savings.

Picture1.jpg

2. Purist System

This is built around the German Physiks single driver, horn-loaded omni-directional Unicorn mk2. It is complemented by the Ypsilon Phaethon Silver Edition integrated amplifier and the EMM DA2 V2 DAC. Cabling is all pure silver, custom made, and provided by Ypsilon Electronics. The Accuphase DP-1000 SACD transport can be added and/or the EMM Labs NS1 Streamer. For analog, the Accuphase C-47 phono will be our first pick. For those that prefer to go with separates, they can replace the Ypsilon Phaethon SE with the Accuphase A-80 class A stereo amplifier and the Ypsilon Electronics PST-100 MK2 preamplifier.

We love this system because of its energy, pace, natural sound and beautiful rendering of jazz, blues, chamber, and world music. Absence of speaker crossover and the linearity of the DDD driver make it an excellent choice for those audiophiles pursuing a simple yet outstanding high-end offering. Most audiophiles, that have heard the system, have admitted is the closest they have heard to live music.
07_03.jpg

Phaethon 1.jpeg

DA2 Front.jpg

Accuphase-system.jpg

3. Italian Extravagance

This is another “No-holds” system built around the IO Sound Design Naked model, a skeletonized open baffle speaker. It has an extreme design with the Italian flare pushed to its limits in terms of engineering, workmanship, and sound performance. It is the only directional speaker offered in our bundles. It is paired with Ypsilon’s PST-100 MK2 preamplifier, DAC 1000 and Aelius mono amplifiers. The speakers are also well matched with the Ypsilon Phaethon SE. We love this system for its open and natural sound, efficiency, and diversity. We are certain that this system will generate lots of comments by those who see it, both for its looks and sound performance.

Munich 2023 HR.JPG

IO-Naked.jpg

4. “Apartment Living”

This is built around the German Physiks HRS-130 speakers, which provide a perfect all-around performance for all music genres with the quick pace, natural timbres, and wide and deep soundstage. The HRS-130 is a very slim loudspeaker design with a 10-in down-firing bass unit that can be placed in any living space without over imposing with its presence. It allows proper full sound reproduction even at low volume levels. We pair it with the with the Accuphase E-800 integrated amp. Digital is provided by the E-800’s own module and the EMM Labs NS1 streamer or the EMM Labs MA1 DAC and the NS1 streamer, at a higher price point. We love this system because it can easily be placed in any living room or small dedicated listening room without fuss and attains a truly high-end sound without obstruction to the rest of the house décor. Cabling is provided by Accuphase.
German-Physics-103-1.jpg
E-380_front_face_open.jpeg

Locrian Audio Brands​

Amplification – Integrated Amplifiers, Preamplifiers, Power Amplifiers​

Accuphase
Ypsilon
EMM Labs

Analog​

Turntables: Reed
Tone arms: Tri-Planar, Reed, Ikeda
Cartridges: Shelter, Air Tight, Accuphase
Phono: Accuphase, Ypsilon
SUT: Ypsilon, Ikeda, Shelter

Digital​

CD Transport: Accuphase (includes SACD)
CD Players: Accuphase, Ypsilon
DAC: Accuphase, EMM Labs, Ypsilon
Streamer: EMM Labs

Loudspeakers​

German Physiks Omnidirectional Speakers
IO Sound Design

Our Contact Details

Basile Theodoropoulos
(469) 438-1761
basile@locrian-audio.com
www.locrian-audio.com

Last edited by a moderator:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Basile, welcome to WBF! Your German Physics speakers are fascinating and a welcome addition new option on the scene to the many cone and dome designs now getting much of the attention today. Let us know if you will be showing them at the Southwest Audio Festival as I would love to experience them!

Reactions: Steve Williams

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Basile!

I would love to hear the big German Physiks loudspeakers!

And the open baffle ones look very interesting!

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
@gleeds @Ron Resnick Thank you both for your kind welcome. I will be happy to see you in Dallas, if your travels bring you in this direction. Otherwise, we will have a chance to meet at the SWAF. Thanks again, Basile

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
@gleeds @Ron Resnick Thank you both for your kind welcome. I will be happy to see you in Dallas, if your travels bring you in this direction. Otherwise, we will have a chance to meet at the SWAF. Thanks again, Basile
Having been talking to Basille for the past several weeks, I believe he is an absolute audiophile to the Nth degree. He loves talking audio and certainly has some wonderful brands that he represents. Congratulations and welcome to WBF, Basile.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Very cool stuff Basile! Those IO speakers are really intriguing (not that the German Physics aren’t, but I know them having listened to them at a friend’s many times - they’re fantastic).

welcome to What’s Best!

Reactions: MD Zenoble
Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Having been talking to Basille for the past several weeks, I believe he is an absolute audiophile to the Nth degree. He loves talking audio and certainly has some wonderful brands that he represents. Congratulations and welcome to WBF, Basile.
Thank you Steve. Your help and encouragement along with Julian's support meant a lot to me. I look forward to positive contribution at WBF!

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Very cool stuff Basile! Those IO speakers are really intriguing (not that the German Physics aren’t, but I know them having listened to them at a friend’s many times - they’re fantastic).

welcome to What’s Best!
Thank you Robert. The IO Naked are a trip! They are being broken-in as we speak. I have not spent time with them yet. I will wait for critical listening when they hit at least 500 hours of play. I am curious to compare the pre-production version memories from Torino with the actual speaker in my studio. What is hilarious with the IO speakers, though, is that 4 women that visited my studio and saw them, they all though it was the "coolest" pair of speakers they have seen. haha IMG_0932.jpeg IMG_0933.jpeg
9831936f-99c6-4289-9b31-41b46dd8e38f.jpeg
f40e9fec-3023-42e8-ab76-7f2b9c6bfd95.jpeg
With respect to German Physiks, I believe they are on a class of their own. I hope, with the exposure we are providing for the brand via the WBF, more people will have the opportunity to experience them. All their models are outstanding but the Unicorn and the PQS-302 are very special.

Thank you again for your kind words. I hope to meet you one day during our audiophile journey. - Basile

Reactions: Robert Young

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Welcome Basille. What a terrific line up! Your two speaker imports are both fascinating designs. I'll make the pilgrimage to Dallas early in the New Year as I must hear the PQS-302's and meet the man who literally thinks "outside the box"! Besides, we will have a blast swapping stories about our mentor and dear departed friend the incomparable Mike Kay:)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Basile, I was reading a bit more about the Unicorn and sensing it has the coherence and purity of a Classic Quad, perhaps more akin to the 63 US monitor than the 57. All speakers have their limitations, but for me as a lover of straight ahead jazz and small classical works this could be the one.

Can you elaborate a bit more on its sonic attributes, as well how the external equalization network works and allows the single DDD driver to remain tonally balanced throughout its range? Also, would you say the Unicorn works best with solid-state or can tube amplifiers be substituted with similarly excellent results? .

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Welcome Basille. What a terrific line up! Your two speaker imports are both fascinating designs. I'll make the pilgrimage to Dallas early in the New Year as I must hear the PQS-302's and meet the man who literally thinks "outside the box"! Besides, we will have a blast swapping stories about our mentor and dear departed friend the incomparable Mike Kay:)
Thanks Gary, you are welcome any time. During your visit, on top of listening to music and indulging in stories from our years in NY, we will add a culinary experience from Greece! I am looking forward to meeting you.

Apr 17, 2023
Dallas
locrian-audio.com
Basile, I was reading a bit more about the Unicorn and sensing it has the coherence and purity of a Classic Quad, perhaps more akin to the 63 US monitor than the 57. All speakers have their limitations, but for me as a lover of straight ahead jazz and small classical works this could be the one.

Can you elaborate a bit more on its sonic attributes, as well how the external equalization network works and allows the single DDD driver to remain tonally balanced throughout its range? Also, would you say the Unicorn works best with solid-state or can tube amplifiers be substituted with similarly excellent results? .
Hi Gary, thank you for your kind words but most importantly for your thoughtful questions. To be frank, it took me a day to think about it, as your first question on the sonic attributes, required some soul searching and why these speakers are special to me as a music lover. I hope, I have addressed your questions below:

1. How do they sound (sonic attributes)?

If I had to describe them in a few words, I would say they are fast, focused with 3-D soundstage, articulate and harmonically accurate. They have a wider sweet spot than conventional speakers and provide the “being there” sensation.

They are my favorites, because it is a relatively inexpensive speaker, by high-end standards, and allows to immerse myself in the performance more than any speaker I have owned for medium size listening room. Being omnidirectional with palpable sound, in good recordings, you feel that you may walk into the stage. It sounds great and realistic even behind the speakers.

The Unicorns are not polite speakers. Their dynamics and transients are felt like you are sitting close to the stage. It is not uncommon to jump off your seat, startled. The micro-dynamics appear holographically in space, yet they are part of the performance and link the listener to the emotions conveyed by the notes played on the instruments or the voices. Transients come alive when the musical material encompasses them. This may be a function of the DDD phase linearity and absence of distortion. The midrange is very pure and engaging. The highs equally realistic and transparent. Listening to drum solos and the cymbal sound, many times is identical to my Gabriel drum set and the Istanbul cymbals in our family’s music room.

Are they the perfect speaker for everyone? No, it is not. Those that seek the deepest bass will not be the target audience. Please do not take me wrong. The bass is adequate and fulfilling but is not as deep as in their German Physiks larger siblings. Even though, the specs say 40Hz, it feels lower and hits you in the chest. However, those audiophiles immersed in chamber music, pre-classical, jazz, world music, blues and rock (with some reservations) will appreciate it immensely.

2. Tube vs. Solid State

I prefer listening to the Unicorns with relatively small and qualitative solid state class A amplifiers, stable at 2.5 Ohm. There are many of those in the market (new and vintage). It would make a long list to mention one by one in this reply. Some tube amps sound excellent but, those tried were very expensive and did not justify the investment. At the end of January, I will receive the newly introduced Accuphase A-80 (60 w/ch), which I will test and report on.

3. External Equalization Network

First of all, the Unicorn is the only German Physiks design that uses a single DDD driver to cover almost the entire audio range: 40Hz to 24kHz.

Obviously, considerable work went into designing the Unicorn’s horn system and making the speaker seamless across its frequency spectrum. Firstly, the design comprises a high gain horn coupled with a tuned bass trap. The bass trap keeps mid-frequency energy out of the horn. This would otherwise lead to smearing due to time differences between the DDD driver’s direct radiation and the horn, as well as cause a bump in the mid frequency response. To achieve a completely even frequency response in the transition region, a small amount of equalization is applied to the input signal by a network which is housed in a separate case. The excellent qualities of the DDD driver in its native mode of operation are exhibited in the bass produced by the horn. It is fast, agile and extremely clean. There is no hint of bloat or overhang, while distortion is impressively low.
unicorn network.jpg
Secondly, an electronic equalization network (pictured above) is placed between the power amplifier output and the loudspeaker to protect the DDD driver from being damaged by large low frequency signals. This was especially important with the early version of the DDD driver that used a titanium foil diaphragm, as this was easily damaged when subjected to large excursions. The current carbon fiber diaphragm DDD driver is much more robust in this respect. The network also provided adjustment of the low frequency roll-off and the high frequency level.

Furthermore, in the Unicorn Mk 2, the original passive equalizer can be replaced by a DSP-based unit, which sits between the preamplifier and power amplifier. This allows the Unicorn to be connected directly to the power amplifier. However, the passive equalizer is the standard component in the US market, as we prefer its sound signature.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful questions.

Best regards, Basile

Last edited:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Thanks for the reply Basil. I am more intrigued then ever. I'll get down to Dallas for a listen in the New Year. Happy Holidays!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing