What's the best sports convertible for $60K in cash, new or used?

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
You can always get one of these ....:).chassis built in So Africa ..

Is that a Superformance GT40 do they cost $60k only thats the most bang for the buck car?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Great conversation! My wife is telling me she wants a back seat for our toddler and a 94 lb German Shepherd. Is the back seat functional at all on the 911? My impression was always that Porsche was wasting money putting the back seats in their cars. So seems like M3 is the most likely choice, now.

Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Great conversation! My wife is telling me she wants a back seat for our toddler and a 94 lb German Shepherd. Is the back seat functional at all on the 911? My impression was always that Porsche was wasting money putting the back seats in their cars. So seems like M3 is the most likely choice, now.

Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions?

I've owned an M3 (circa 2005, a convertible) and several Porsches (all 911 variants). The back seats of the Porsche are basically shelves for your bags or briefcase, they are not useable. (Perhaps for little kids, not big dogs, and I'm not sure I like the idea of either a toddler or a big dog in a sports car). The M3 is a fast car, I'm sure the latest ones are faster than the one I had, but you sit upright, it doesn't feel like a sportcar, it feels more like a smallish 'uber-sedan' if that makes any sense. (We still keep BMWs, we are probably on our 7th one now- my wife has a new 335 coupe, which is a ball to drive given that it is a 'sporty' coupe, with a stick, but it is not a sports car in the true sense). So, different cars in my estimation. Lot's of people look at 0-60 speeds which are pretty irrelevant. And while BMWs have a lot of nice road feel for what they are- better, in my estimation than any M-B or Audi I've driven, they still don't (and can't) give you that low center of gravity, turn on a hair quality that a true sports car can. (Here, I'm not judging by price, but by nature of the car, in the sense that even something like a Miata is more of a sportscar than an M3). The M3 will be faster, but that's not really the point of a sportscar in my estimation.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've owned an M3 (circa 2005, a convertible) and several Porsches (all 911 variants). The back seats of the Porsche are basically shelves for your bags or briefcase, they are not useable. (Perhaps for little kids, not big dogs, and I'm not sure I like the idea of either a toddler or a big dog in a sports car). The M3 is a fast car, I'm sure the latest ones are faster than the one I had, but you sit upright, it doesn't feel like a sportcar, it feels more like a smallish 'uber-sedan' if that makes any sense. (We still keep BMWs, we are probably on our 7th one now- my wife has a new 335 coupe, which is a ball to drive given that it is a 'sporty' coupe, with a stick, but it is not a sports car in the true sense). So, different cars in my estimation. Lot's of people look at 0-60 speeds which are pretty irrelevant. And while BMWs have a lot of nice road feel for what they are- better, in my estimation than any M-B or Audi I've driven, they still don't (and can't) give you that low center of gravity, turn on a hair quality that a true sports car can. (Here, I'm not judging by price, but by nature of the car, in the sense that even something like a Miata is more of a sportscar than an M3). The M3 will be faster, but that's not really the point of a sportscar in my estimation.

Whart, I think you make some excellent points. I have owned a Miata, and loved the handling, but was always wishing for more speed. What is your definition of a sports car, out of curiosity?

Interestingly, here's a Car and Driver comparo b/w the 2009 M3 and 911, and they favored the M3. I wonder how similar or different their criteria is to yours.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2009-bmw-m3-page-3

Also, for what it's worth, other than the 3 series, I think BMW has really evolved into a luxury car brand. Not quite an M-B or a Lexus, but more luxury than sport. Definitely not the raw driver's machine it used to be, excepting the M cars. My Audi is definitely more sporty than my father's 5 series.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My wife has one of the new Miata's with the retractable HT and 6-speed manual. It's very nimble and can take a corner like nobody's business. I really don't see it lacking in speed as long as you keep the rev's up.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Caesar: I'm not sure my criteria are objective, but here goes:
1. I guess lap times might be a defining characteristic of 'best' performance, I gather that was one of the reasons the Car&Driver comparo chose the M3 over the Porsche, but I'm not racing, competitively or otherwise, so, like a measurement of a piece of audio gear on a test bench, that's one criteria, but may not be telling. A car with paddle shifters, and computer controlled everything might deliver more performance, but have all the character of a Sub-Zero refrigerator on wheels.
2. I have been veering away from electronic aids, high horsepower, overweight cars. I'd put all the uber cars into that category; frankly, even the newish Porsches are too big and heavy- I actually like the size of the Cayman better than the 911, but a 911 is iconic- sort of like a Rolex Daytona- not the best watch around, but hard to argue with.
3. I'd say a rough definition for me is lithe, tossable, nimble, corner carving, visceral, low center of gravity, low seating position, no extra room for golf clubs,no cup holders, no electric seats, chuck the sound system kinda car. By these standards, the 3 Wheeler from Morgan is more of a sports car than a 911 Porsche, and that's hardly fair- but it is a question of degree. I never loved the build quality of Lotus, but Colin Chapman's edict about 'adding lightness' is more meaningful than ever.
4. I'm not sure BMW ever built a true sportscar- the 507 is classic, but still a boulevardier. (So, too, was the two seater they made circa 2000 modeled on it. I haven't driven the current 2 seater BMW's but sort of like the look of them).
5. I also like open cars- again, most hardcore track guys would eschew these for rigidity and safety. But, I like the feeling of driving in an open air car.
6. Ultimately, its a personal choice, based not only on practical and financial considerations, but what turns you on.
7. Having said all of that, I'd still love to own a 20's Bentley, which is a truck by these standards.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
4. I'm not sure BMW ever built a true sportscar- the 507 is classic, but still a boulevardier. (So, too, was the two seater they made circa 2000 modeled on it. I haven't driven the current 2 seater BMW's but sort of like the look of them).

I would consider the BMW M1, Z1 Z3, Z4 and Z8 sports cars. the M3 is a sports coupe and shares its chassis with a sedan variant and wouldnt be considered a sports car. if i were younger and my budget were ~25k id look at the Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ, i drove one and its a great little sports car in the early datsun Z mold.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My e46 was crazy good in the twisties. Fast, balanced and communicative with little body roll. Still I think it did make compromises for comfort and daily usability so perhaps it couldn't be called a pure sports car. It sure could bring the adrenalin though. Sporty enough for me.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I would consider the BMW M1, Z1 Z3, Z4 and Z8 sports cars. the M3 is a sports coupe and shares its chassis with a sedan variant and wouldnt be considered a sports car. if i were younger and my budget were ~25k id look at the Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ, i drove one and its a great little sports car in the early datsun Z mold.
Puro- we rarely disagree and I'm not going to start now. I had completely forgotten about the M1- pretty rare bird. The Z8, however, was to me, in the spirit of a boulevardier or GT style car- if memory serves, when BMW quit distributing them, they were branded Alpina, but only came with a slush box to my knowledge. Beautiful car- yes. Hard edged sports car, not so sure. (Frankly, just to put my skewed perspective into context, I'd put most of the standard issue modern 12 cyl. Ferraris in the GT category as well- big, fast, powerful, far too heavy, but quite comfy doing the Autobahn thing. On a track, the ones I drove were pigs). Ditto, Lambo. On the Z-3/4, I think you are right, they are sports cars. Never much cottoned to the look of the Z3, but the current one is good looking.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
from this side of the pond Lotus 340R

777.jpg

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

rrr

May 17, 2010
Mercedes??? we re talking sportscars not taxies :D

Ha!
Guess you have never ridden in a 12 cylinder SL600! (It's the one with TWO seats.)

SL 600: 0-60= 3.5 seconds
Porsche 911 GT2: 3.8 seconds
Dodge Viper: 3.9 seconds
Amsterdam Taxis: ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I just looked at several SL600s on autotrader. This car is now on my short list.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Sl600 = 4300 lbs
996 GT2 = 3200 lbs

no doubt the sl600 is quick, but which do you think corners and brakes better?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing