What were your takeaways from RMAF? Still very impressed with NOLA's showing

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Could you expand upon what you like with the MG AudioDesign cables compared say to other cables?

Myles,

One thing I always have an issue when discussing cables is, I have found, more than any "component" it brings out some of the most polarized opinions from people.

First, these cables can not be used in biwire configuration. They have copper and silver variants and they are unshielded so if you need RCA ICs beyond a certain length look elsewhere.

As I have said, I use Audio Research REF 5SE and REF 250s and no solid state other than the incredible Meitner DAC2X, so I cannot speak to how these cables perform with solid state. I have had Nordost, MIT and most recently Rick Schultz's High Fidelity Cables, which I think most will see HP raving about in the very near future and a possible "Odin slayer".

Their cables are pretty "delicate" as they are made of foil, not shielded and are most delicate at their termination due to the foil. However, despite their being delicate, they are not really as delicate as one would think based on their foil design.

My first try, was the Planus II speaker wire, made of copper, with one end having rhodium spades and the other having silver spades. While there is no "directionality" to the wires, they recommend starting with the silver spades attached to the amp. I was pretty skeptical to say the least, but this is one of those products that was a game changer the first I heard. Incredible detail, much better defined bass, resolution and space and took a great soundstage and created a surreal, but accurate one. Instead of listening to Coltrane, he was in my room. Carl's speakers as you know use Raven ribbons, which and depending upon cross-over config, etc, can sound bright, etc. I, having been a former Wilson owner for many years, found quite the opposite. The MG gave me much more life to the music, without what I would call the fatiguing sound of a Wilson. I have had several ground breaking products that impressed me from the moment they entered my life sans "burn in", which I will list. The original ProAc Tablette, Lazarus Pre-amp (if you weren't careful they would blow up your speakers) which cost only $899 back in 85, Koetsu Rosewood, Ref 250s and the Planus II.

His Planus AG and CU interconnects are a different story. They weren't the kick me off my chair factor I got from his speaker cables upon first listen. In fact, they were a little hot but having been the first distributor of Siltech cables back in the day, I was well aware of the long burn in time of silver and just left them alone for a couple of days until burning in. After about 70-100 hours the cables really come alive, detail extended even more and spatial cues become amazing. There is no distortion of soundstage or musicality to achieve these changes. Lower octaves truly become snappier and incredibly well placed in the stage. As I write this, I still have Schultz's CT-1 RCA IC running from the Meitner SE output to the SE CD input of my REF 5SE and have a Planus AG running from balanced output of the Meitner to balanced Tuner input on the Ref 5SE so I can continue to compare. Ensuring the SPL levels are the same I have been doing some comparison. Schultz's cable is fully burned in, whereas this particular MG cable is just three days old. Even without burn in I am finding the MG much better, more accurate with a better stage. I literally cannot leave my system. As all wonderfully accurate equipment, they are not forgiving.

I have never heard the Nola's sound this good and I am trying to get Carl to try this find.

Just to set the record straight, I have absolutely no financial interest in MG other than the money I paid for these cables. Just my opinion, but I believe they are worthy of a trial by others given their generous return policy, although recognize they are not for all, especially since they are not shielded they cannot be used in long run SE configurations nor can the speaker wired be used in biwire. The other aspect I like about his cables are that you can "tune" your system using their different configurations mixing CU with AG. There was an interesting end-user review written by a fellow named Ted, who tried all the configurations of all the different wires before choosing what he liked best and why and ultimately because a customer. For those interested in his AG interconnects, I can't stress enough just how important long burn in can be. At least 70 hours before you get a sense and closer to 100 hours to get most of what the cable is cable of.

My understanding is there will be a Planus III speaker wire coming out in the near future.

They are also pretty nice looking and extremely flexible .

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing