What were your takeaways from RMAF? Still very impressed with NOLA's showing

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Based on what?

Based on my experience with cables. I have borrowed many cables from the cable company and that is my conclusion. I'm not saying good cables aren't important, I just think once you get to a certain level you really hit a point of diminishing returns. Now maybe my system is not revealing enough for the best of the best in cables. That I don't really know.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Based on my experience with cables. I have borrowed many cables from the cable company and that is my conclusion. I'm not saying good cables aren't important, I just think once you get to a certain level you really hit a point of diminishing returns. Now maybe my system is not revealing enough for the best of the best in cables. That I don't really know.

Antiflame suit on : :cool:

So right you are .. No!! People with uber-resolution systems were not able to distinguish their own uber-cables aka known as hyper-expensive cables from pedestrian Monster cable cable once the knowledge was removed (i-e you don't know which cables is in the system) ...

Cables ? Cables !!??!!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you can't tell MIT from Transparent, then something's very amiss. All you need to do is focus on the low frequencies.

And you know this isn't about sight but quick switching; all that proves is that our short term memory is fallible. That's hardly news and been written about in textbooks for years. Do you know that you can paralyze the body by giving the brain two stimuli within 100 ms of each other. It's because we do serial, not parallel processing, in short term memory. Not to mention that short term memory has very limited "hard disc" space.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm still impressed with the NOLA speakers as well. What 'scares' me is that they were driven by $60K of gear and cables. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the Nordost speaker cables $30K alone? The price ratio between speakers and speaker cables seems odd to me. Speakers: $10K. Speaker cables: $30K. Seems like this ratio is inverted. I would rather have a $30K pair of speakers with $10K of wires. But then one could certainly argue that Carl's pair of $10K speakers sounds better than some other people's $50K speakers.

The bottom line is that the Nola speakers were very special sounding to me. I loved them.

There's no doubt that Carl wanted his "modestly priced" speakers to sound as good as possible at the show. Yet at the same time, he could have gone for the higher priced ARC stuff that was in the Vanderstein room, but he didn't. Now, I am not a "cable denier" (nor do I believe that "cable deniers" should be jailed or banned), but I don't think that cables make that much of a difference, relatively speaking - maybe 10% at most. So I would guess that even if someone doesn't have the latest generation of ARC stuff, one could go back a generation or 2 and still get great sound.

Also, I hit HP's new site today, and he has a banner ad for the NOLA KO. Apparently, the KO will be his first review on the new site. And he has more gear thrown at him than girls throwing themselves to rock stars and start athletes. Definitely says a lot about the speaker.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Caesar-I think you and I are in violent agreement that the NOLA KO speakers sound great.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
And you know this isn't about sight but quick switching; all that proves is that our short term memory is fallible. That's hardly news and been written about in textbooks for years. Do you know that you can paralyze the body by giving the brain two stimuli within 100 ms of each other. It's because we do serial, not parallel processing, in short term memory. Not to mention that short term memory has very limited "hard disc" space.
So right: I've taken to listen for a week before I believe what I hear ;-) Re cables, iam using no nonsense Audio Consulting and Looking forward to Cardas Clear, will report..

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
I don't know, but I do know I feel the same way about them and I'm not with Nola.

I heard the more expensive baby grands reference about a year ago and thought them good , just not at that price point, the KO being of similar design and layout and less cost is a no brainer for Carl , as it possibly delivers 95% of the baby grand sound at a much lower cost, should make the KO very competitive ...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I heard the more expensive baby grands reference about a year ago and thought them good , just not at that price point, the KO being of similar design and layout and less cost is a no brainer for Carl , as it possibly delivers 95% of the baby grand sound at a much lower cost, should make the KO very competitive ...

Less than 20% of the cost!! In fact I wonder how NOLA will sell any of the Metro Grand Reference at ~$30k when one can get the KO for ~$10k?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I have the Baby Grand Series II. For those of you not wanting to take a second mortgage for wires, I can unequivocally state that the best wires I have heard in my system are the very reasonably priced MG Audiodesign cables. Just spectacular. I am using REF 250s with REF 5SE. I tried to get Carl to listen but he loves his Odins. For those of you considering the KO, I highly recommend trying these cables. They have a 30 day return policy. I can't speak for how these wires work with solid state, but with ARC and Carl's speakers, it is one of the best combinations I have ever heard. No I don't have any financial arrangement with them other than being an extremely happy customer but bummed that I spent so much for my initial cables that are now for sale.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Is caesar with Nola ..? :)

A. Wayne, actually I am not. Nor do I desire to be.

I have no idea how much Fremer paid for his new Alexandria XLFs, but we all know it was no where near the full price. And unlike Valin, I don't get to keep a $65,000 speaker on an indefinite loan. I am just an amateur in the truest sense of the word. There is no overt financial reward. And there is no covert financial reward. There are no special privileges, either. I am just on a demonic, passionate quest to find gear that puts music lovers into a state of flow, which is the highest form of happiness human beings can experience. I then spill my excitement on this board. Full disclosure, however: Carl's daughter did get me a water when I was listening and I may have taken 2 or 3 jolly ranchers or other bon bons when I was in the Nola suite (but it could also have been from another room).

caesar

May 30, 2010
I have the Baby Grand Series II. For those of you not wanting to take a second mortgage for wires, I can unequivocally state that the best wires I have heard in my system are the very reasonably priced MG Audiodesign cables. Just spectacular. I am using REF 250s with REF 5SE. I tried to get Carl to listen but he loves his Odins. For those of you considering the KO, I highly recommend trying these cables. They have a 30 day return policy. I can't speak for how these wires work with solid state, but with ARC and Carl's speakers, it is one of the best combinations I have ever heard. No I don't have any financial arrangement with them other than being an extremely happy customer but bummed that I spent so much for my initial cables that are now for sale.

Priaptor, congrats! Awesome speakers!!!!

It's great to actually hear from a Nola owner. What has been your speaker evolution, out of curiosity? And did you ever compare them to MBL 101e's?

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
A. Wayne, actually I am not. Nor do I desire to be.

I have no idea how much Fremer paid for his new Alexandria XLFs, but we all know it was no where near the full price. And unlike Valin, I don't get to keep a $65,000 speaker on an indefinite loan. I am just an amateur in the truest sense of the word. There is no overt financial reward. And there is no covert financial reward. There are no special privileges, either. I am just on a demonic, passionate quest to find gear that puts music lovers into a state of flow, which is the highest form of happiness human beings can experience. I then spill my excitement on this board. Full disclosure, however: Carl's daughter did get me a water when I was listening and I may have taken 2 or 3 jolly ranchers or other bon bons when I was in the Nola suite (but it could also have been from another room).

So no quid pro quo ...? ....:)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Priaptor, congrats! Awesome speakers!!!!

It's great to actually hear from a Nola owner. What has been your speaker evolution, out of curiosity? And did you ever compare them to MBL 101e's?

I have always loved small monitor speakers. In my younger days, I sold ProAc, Celestion among others, have owned Avalons, Wilson Watt/Puppies, X1s and most recently micro-Grands, Baby Grands and now the Baby Grands Series II. First, the difference between the series I and series II is huge so anyone with a series I should update.

I was leery about getting rid of the micro-grands but when the Babys became available I went for it. It is truly a unique speaker, that I find meets my taste perfectly. Like the MBL, few speakers disappear the way the Babys do, with a very wide and three dimensional sound soundstage while maintaining an accurate image and timbre. The Babys more than just about any full range speaker acts like a little speaker, with the benefits of monitors mixed with the benefits of a full range. They are like an MBL only as they disappear and to the extent of sound stage but are, IMHO, more accurate and listenable. Just a caveat. When I had my Wilson Watt/Puppies I made a huge mistake moving to their large X1s. I am not a fan of most large speakers, particularly Wilson.

His new cross over design is fantastic. With the Series I, there was a small mid-bass hump which I was able to correct to some extent with a Sliver Circle 5.0, which I still use. His new Series II is seamless.

I have not tried Carl's speakers with solid state, but have tried MC2301s and changed for ARC REF 250s, REF 5SE and am now using a Meitner DAC2X. My wires have ALL been changed to MG Audio Design as a result of someone who I met on the NET who recommended these cables. As wonderful as the Baby's were, these cables are a perfect mate for my equipment and Carl's Babys. Also CHEAP compared to ODIN, etc. I also have HP's recommended Rick Schultz CT-I interconnects and while excellent, not as good as Greg's amazing MG Audio Design. I can't think of a better cable to use with this system-I am cautious to recommend them for all systems because I just don't know but they have a 30 day return so I recommend anyone wanting to try them to try them as every system is different.

Lastly, while Carl didn't make it easy for the enduser to move the speakers but aside from that, they may be the easiest speakers to set up I have ever owned. No toe in, etc, just a matter of finding best location for your listening room and face them straight ahead. Starting with some of the standard formulas gets you 90% of what the speaker is capable of. Also they have a huge sweet spot

I guess the biggest compliment I can give the Babys is that I have a system where I now just listen. I am thoroughly happy with what I have.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Could you expand upon what you like with the MG AudioDesign cables compared say to other cables?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing