What makes someone a great chef?

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
The fact that there are more male leading chefs than there are female does not constitute a lack of ability in women. Watch Iron Chef Japan or Top Chef Master Edition and you will see many, many women who can and do extraordinary things on the fly. Again I maintain that the long, arduous working hours required for being a chef attracts less women to top restaurants. It's harder than raising a newborn. You will however see scores of them in the less demanding catering and private chef segments of the culinary profession.

No. Men question and challenge. Women verify and preserve. There are conferences dedicated to this in management, trying to explain why women make great managers. Obversely, it's why they don't improvise well - or rather, are not comfortable improvising, which is a prerequisite for the experimentation that sets a chef or restaurant apart from the crowd.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What year exactly do you think it is man?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
No. Men question and challenge. Women verify and preserve. There are conferences dedicated to this in management, trying to explain why women make great managers. Obversely, it's why they don't improvise well - or rather, are not comfortable improvising, which is a prerequisite for the experimentation that sets a chef or restaurant apart from the crowd.

Maybe in Norway but not in the US. Have you heard of Julia Childs?

Lots of good female chefs in the US esp. NYC. How about Donatella and Burke in NY? She's a darn good chef. And there are also lots of female pastry chefs too.

And how much of it do you think is due to the old boys club that blocks women from being chefs?

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Maybe in Norway but not in the US. Have you heard of Julia Childs?

Lots of good female chefs in the US esp. NYC. How about Donatella and Burke in NY? She's a darn good chef. And there are also lots of female pastry chefs too.

And how much of it do you think is due to the old boys club that blocks women from being chefs?

I have her book.
Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a cook by numbers recipe compendium with detailed instructions, containing the results achieved by cooks who improvised those solutions.

There's no reason to be PC-uncomfortable, wonder whether I know what century or year this is. I have eaten in the finest restaurants of the world, and had meals served to me by private chefs while a guest of discerning hosts.

The original poster wonders what it takes to be a great chef. If the question is what it takes to be a good cook, then we can discuss that. Start with understanding the basics.

Again, there are numerous high-level conferences and studies dedicated to the female verify/preserve dimension. i am personally very pleased that trait has established itself. It is invaluable. For a starter (bad pun intended), the survival of infants and children depends entirely upon it.

Last edited:

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Soundproof, show your responses to this thread to your mother and then get back to me in a few weeks:eek:, LOL. I have a funny feeling, that like I said before, you are going to be one hungry Norwegian....:(

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ehem. If only 10 out of 2500 restaurants has a female executive chef, 106 out of 2,500 are 3 Stars awardee restaurants yet 1 in 106 is female that tells the opposite of your assumption doesn't it? 1 out of 10 vs 105 out of 2,490. That's 10% of females that get to the magic 106 vs 4% if men.

The question is why there aren't more of them. I still believe the reason is not a lack of creativity but rather the very high physical demands of the profession.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Ehem. If only 10 out of 2500 restaurants has a female executive chef, 106 out of 2,500 are 3 Stars awardee restaurants yet 1 in 106 is female that tells the opposite of your assumption doesn't it? 1 out of 10 vs 105 out of 2,490. That's 10% of females that get to the magic 106 vs 4% if men.

The question is why there aren't more of them. I still believe the reason is not a lack of creativity but rather the very high physical demands of the profession.

If you apply yourself, I am confident that your math skills can be improved.

So your claim is that physical inferiority is the explanation?

PC fright aside, this is a studiously researched area, and improvisation, or inability to improvise, is a key element. There are even studies regarding gender related differences as to the willingness to follow recipes.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Soundproof, show your responses to this thread to your mother and then get back to me in a few weeks:eek:, LOL. I have a funny feeling, that like I said before, you are going to be one hungry Norwegian....:(

Luckily, I grew up in an intellectually honest home where dissembling and obfuscation were frowned upon.
My mother is alive, cooks wonderfully and never improvises. She and I have discussed this often, and I learned extensive basic cooking skills from her.
I can serve up a five course meal for six people from a kitchen that looks unused when the last course has been served, alone in the kitchen. While also taking part in dinner conversation.
I learned that from her.

There's no need to wave arms about, think I will go without food, or consider me troglodyte. To the math/reasoning addled above, I recommend close study of the relationship btw the count of "ten female chefs in the Michelin guide" out of a total of 2.500 rated restaurants. To help you out, you can take away a zero from 10 and a zero from 2.500 and ponder where from your 4% arose.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
LOL.

There are 2490 male executive chefs in the 2500. 105 of them got the three stars, the others got two or one. What percentage of all men got three stars?

There are 10 females in the 2500. One of them got three stars, the others got two or one. What percentage of all females got three stars?

Better?

sincerely,

Addled

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
LOL.

There are 2490 male executive chefs in the 2500. 105 of them got the three stars, the others got two or one. What percentage of all men got three stars?

There are 10 females in the 2500. One of them got three stars, the others got two or one. What percentage of all females got three stars?

Better?

sincerely,

Addled

No. You're still off by a significant factor, mildly put, that definitely doesn't assist your argument.

There's quite a difference between 4% and the number you should be looking for.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's your number for men in the 2500 that made the three star grade? How can you ignore the base, weighted population in a comparative?

It's a totally different story if both genders had equal numbers of 1,250 and only one lady got in and 105 guys did. Get it?

Sincerely,

OBASF

(Off by a Significant Factor)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, may I ask that we please stick to the topic of the thread? I would like to think that we are better than arguing over the sex of a chef and the numbers or percentages associated.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
What's your number for men in the 2500 that made the three star grade? How can you ignore the base, weighted population in a comparative?

It's a totally different story if both genders had equal numbers of 1,250 and only one lady got in and 105 guys did. Get it?

Sincerely,

OBASF

(Off by a Significant Factor)

No, the cited link made that very clear, with 10 out of 2.500, which should make your calculation very simple, and by factors different from what you claimed. As to the last poster - one does not argue about math. That's its beauty.
On the other hand, there is math it isn't worth arguing about, that's another matter entirely.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gentlemen, may I ask that we please stick to the topic of the thread? I would like to think that we are better than arguing over the sex of a chef and the numbers or percentages associated.

Will do Tom. :D

What is the Topic again? Oh yeah, "What makes someone a great chef?"

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Will do Tom. :D

What is the Topic again? Oh yeah, "What makes someone a great chef?"

My last "friend" said that if I just wore an apron she'd be happy.;) I suppose my "cooking" skills are better appreciated outside the kitchen. :p. Still, it's a skill! :cool:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Thanks, Jack. ;)

I will say this. The tools one has at their disposal, along with the knowledge and experience of how to use them, has a lot to do with the success or failure of a dish.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
What does it take to cook well.
One doesn't need a lot of utensils, but it's good to have the right ones. Knives, cutting boards, equipment for deboning meat and fish, a good processor, a well laid out counter and sink. If it's easy and comfortable to make food, with the right tools, you'll make more food.

And then the basic skills. Heat management's been mentioned. Crucial. How do different foods respond to heat, and heat sequences - and why do men always use too much heat? Probably impatience. To make good food, one has to be patient. My mother spends three days on her gnocci sauce. A good friend spends from Monday-Friday on a meal he'll serve for us, when he invites us over twice a year for a gathering. Those are extremes for home cooking, but a lot of these processes can take place while you're doing other things.

Start with the basics. Explore the kinds of omelette it's possible to make, and what kind of heat you should use, how to add the ingredients - until you end up with the perfect omelette, every time.
Do the same with something as prosaic as pancake batter, studying how the flour absorbs moisture, and what that does to the texture and taste of the pancake. How many eggs? What heat to use? How thin/thick should the pancake be? What makes the pancake dry in your mouth, what makes it feel and taste succulent, in spite of its basic ingredients?
And do the same with pizza dough - with or without yeast? Tipo 00 flour mixed with durum, what proportions? Thick or thin crust - how to get the crust perfect in a normal oven, do I use a pizza stone, or are there other tricks? What about yeast - what temperatures are best to get a good rise, if that's what you want? How to work the dough?
Move on to baking bread - which corns to use, sour dough or flour and yeast? Join a bread baking class at a good private bakery. Bake bread for your own family, and arrive at the family's preferred recipe. That gives one a wonderful sense of accomplishment.
Investigate how produce, vegetables and fruit respond to heat - and make certain you get the rice perfect.
Advance to creating sauces, reducing them, thickening them.

Fish. Types of; ways to prepare.
Meat. Types of; ways to prepare.
Overall goal with both - preserve taste, flavor, succulence - enhance texture, make it savory, avoid blandness. How to promote the raw material into something that works well complemented by other ingredients, sauces. How to make tough meat tender, how to ensure that tender meat remains so after cooking/grilling/etc.

Start with salmon loins and cuts, and explore what can be done with these with a skillet and a little butter. Study the structure of the side of whole salmon as you separate different cuts from it.

End up with telling your butcher how to cut hanger steak from the plate of cattle, and serve it to astonished friends.

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Anyone can learn to cook. Many can learn to cook well. Some can learn to be great at it. Few can become expert chefs.

Expert chefs are experts because they understand and are completely familiar with every single ingredient they use. This allows them to be more creative and create dishes we otherwise would never consider trying.

There are other reasons obviously, but I think this is one of the primary ones.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very true John. I watch reality cooking shows where they give them random ingredients that seem to be impossible to put together and these people have intuition that allows them to still create a tasty dish. And so under time crunch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing