What kind of listener would you classify yourself as?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I consider myself a chameleon listener--that being, I possess several of these traits, but at different times, depending on mood, type of music, and whether anyone else is within 100 yards of my house at the time.

Image freak - Definately, when listening to Classical music. I love to close my eyes and mentally float about the orchestra as each section plays its key role in the music.

Bass head - When listening to J-pop music or Bob Marley.

Detail oriented listener - Mostly with the Classical music, and some Jazz.

Loudness listener - Again, J-pop, rock and Reggae music. Gotta feel the bones vibratin'!

Audiophile listener - Best with my own recordings.

Music aficionado - When the music really reaches me on an emotional level, I forget about all the rest.

Tone listener - The 3rd trumpet flatted that note just now!

Accuracy listener - Classical and Jazz. I want it to sound like I'm there.

Volume listener - Only on weekends. Sometimes I do a marathon and sit for many hours in front of the speakers.

Frequency listener - Particularly if it's pipe organ and if it's Bach, Widor or Messiaen.

Realistic listener - No Radio Shack stuff, please! :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I checked for Image, Tone and some Realistiv listener, I grew-up surrounded by Macs, JBLs, Thorens/AKG and Nakamichi gear, all early SS designs...aagghhhhh.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Right now I'm a Casual listener. I've got some Enya playing quietly in the background while I'm perusing several sites.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Educated :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There's nothing wrong with having high standards if the means to achieve them are available to you.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Right now I'm a Pissed Off listener as my lady friend hates Kate Bush and I really want to listen to her new album!:(:p

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I do think there is utility in having a sense of one's sonic preferences (or prejudices). Definitely useful to have an internal sonic compass for assessing gear; with the caveat that too much of a good thing can be problematic. Without such a template, it's easy to fall into the trap of confusing 'different' with 'better'.

If the sound of a system misses perfect neutrality (and they all do), my preference is to miss to the side of euphony i.e. character commonly ascribed to tube equipment. I primarily value dynamic bandwidth, tone color, and instrumental decays/attacks. Imaging, sound staging and ultimate frequency bandwidth are much lower on my sonic wish list.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I have another type of listener I never thought I would find, but here goes.

The Relaxed Listener - This type of person is fully content with what they have. They have read up upon and researched what it is they have so extensively that no matter what else is brought to their knowledge...or even their own rig, what they have is the absolute best. Why? Because it's relaxing. They want no more detail, texture, dynamics, clarity or betterment toward there system. They are perfectly content with what it is they have. Nothing, no matter how it changes their system for the good or bad can change their mind. They are set in their sound and will not waver. Technological advances mean nothing to this person because they are set in their ways. Though the sound to them may be bliss, to others, it may be equated to others as an out of focus picture [if you will] that needs focusing or a high definition print but to them? It's perfect. No need for change.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One so I can get to Two. :) It takes a lot of alcohol to get me to 3 and I almost never drink that much anymore.

Thomas.Dennehy

Jan 5, 2012
Bloomfield Hills MI
Right now I'm a Pissed Off listener as my lady friend hates Kate Bush and I really want to listen to her new album!:(:p

I bought 50 Words for Snow as a 24/96 FLAC download and had to remind myself a week later that I had not yet played it. (Since corrected.) Somehow the arrival of music as bits-only doesn't trigger the same buzz of anticipation as buying phsyical media in the old days.

And, for the record, I consider myself a music aficianado listener. I want music anywhere in the house I happen to be. I understand that my speaker placement in the kitchen/dining area isn't optimal, which is where my wife and I listen most of the time, but it doesn't diminish our enjoyment of music while preparing and eating meals. And I seldom conduct deliberate listening.

TGD

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hmmmm, makes me think about adding one more. The format listener. I'll give a bit of time and thought on that one, though.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing