How would you spend my money?

Antonio66

May 16, 2023
7. decent starter analog rig.
Why would this up grade his already good system? The only thing I can see this doing is downgrading the op's bank account.
It's nearly two years since I sold off my analogue components and vinyl, couldn't be happier, especially since I now seem to have more time to listen to music.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Why would this up grade his already good system? The only thing I can see this doing is downgrading the op's bank account.
It's nearly two years since I sold off my analogue components and vinyl, couldn't be happier, especially since I now seem to have more time to listen to music.
You probably can't hear the full benefits of vinyl, not everyone can. The OP on the other hand has said he appreciates vinyl playback so it makes sense he gets a turntable, particularly if he likes analogue recordings.

Reactions: bonzo75

Antonio66

May 16, 2023
You probably can't hear the full benefits of vinyl, not everyone can. The OP on the other hand has said he appreciates vinyl playback so it makes sense he gets a turntable, particularly if he likes analogue recordings.
I've just looked again on this thread and I can find no mention of the OP saying he appreciates vinyl playback, although I have just seen the thread 'Admitting my error'. All the OP's vinyl has been sold, the cost of replacing even his favourite 500 records would double his outlay for replacing his turntable/cartridge/stage. Also for your info I owned a decent quality vinyl system for 40yrs, understand the pluses of the sound of vinyl, but the simplicity and cost of digital has won me over.
I would say to the OP, spend your budget on upgrading what you have and don't look back, spending it on a new vinyl set-up will not improve the sound of your current system.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Also for your info I owned a decent quality vinyl system for 40yrs, understand the pluses of the sound of vinyl, but the simplicity and cost of digital has won me over.
No offense, but when “simplicity” or “comfort” used describing choices in hifi SQ becomes redundant. Unfortunately SQ and comfort have inverse relationship in this hobby.

Reactions: Rexp

Antonio66

May 16, 2023
No offense, but when “simplicity” or “comfort” used describing choices in hifi SQ becomes redundant. Unfortunately SQ and comfort have inverse relationship in this hobby.
I have never heard so much tosh in my life. Feeling good, great surroundings, all add to the sq in your brain. I'm listening to music now through a great sounding system and it's great to look at as well.

Last edited:

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Add a second sub and listen to everything improve
If you can borrow some, try some Symposium Rollerblocks, starting on your front end. They are now unfashionable because they aren't updated every 5 minutes and the price hasn't quadrupled in the last two years, but after experimentation their improvement is reliable & they made a huge difference in my system.
Had R Block Jrs under my streamer. I found them so unstable every time I moved the unit I was chasing ball bearings all over the floor. lol.
OTOH I’m considering a Sympsium platform for an amp stand.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Had R Block Jrs under my streamer. I found them so unstable every time I moved the unit I was chasing ball bearings all over the floor. lol.
OTOH I’m considering a Sympsium platform for an amp stand.
Lol.
I only use the Series 2 double stack, one above and one below the ball bearing, or the Junior HDSE which are also double stack. That way although the unit wobbles its pretty stable, even for under my turntable. FWIW I have found a Symposium platform to work really well under my PX25 amp, with three Junior HDSE. In that example its really pretty stable because the amp weighs so much!

Reactions: dgale

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I had Mscaler and Dave both with SJ Power supply, before moving to Lampi Pacific and then Horizon. I would get that second power supply. And the Wavestorm interconnects between the mscaler and Dave if you dont have them already and grounding for all 4 units.
Yes, The Wave High Fidelity STORM digital BNC interconnect cables make a BIG difference with the Chord DAVE and Chord M Scaler. So much so, I would say they are a MUST for DAVE & M Scaler.
They were specifically designed and built for the Chord Blu, Chord DAVE and Chord M Scaler !
And Nick Bacon is a great guy to do business with to (he is only an hour's drive from my base in the UK).

And as you have already got a Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4 ELPS for your DAVE, I would get the same for your M Scaler.

Then with the STORM digital cables you have a top notch digital source for only the cost of another Sean Jacobs ELPS (should be cheaper for the M Scaler than the DAVE) and the cost of the STORM cables !

Chinese whispers last year or so are saying that a new Chord M Scaler will be coming out maybe this year (possibly for the Choral line) that hopefully will take the Chord DAVE set-up to another level !

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I vote for: 7. Decent starter analog rig.

The cable "up-grade" options make no sense to me, because just because a cable is more expensive does not mean you will prefer it subjectively over the incumbent cable between any two particular components.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
It is worth trying Line Magnetic 805 amp.

Lengthy discussion on the amp and tube rolling.

It will work well with your Tannoy speaker.

By the way I also enjoy Dave modified with Farad LPs.

Antonio66

May 16, 2023
No mention of isolation, have you thought of Townshend bars/platform / Iso Acoustic Gaia feet or something similar for your speakers. Change of amplifier could be another way to go, I think you would have to draw up a shortlist and then go to a few demonstrations.

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
No mention of isolation, have you thought of Townshend bars/platform / Iso Acoustic Gaia feet or something similar for your speakers. Change of amplifier could be another way to go, I think you would have to draw up a shortlist and then go to a few demonstrations.
Have Gaia Thx. Very happy with my amp.

Reactions: Antonio66

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing