? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
View attachment 125218 .
My first post to this thread and the Forum as well. While I listen to many "jazz" war horses of the genre I tend to share those that may be more obscure or challenge the notion of the genre. Personally I prefer a brief summary of the music to guide the curious listener, vice only posting an album cover. This Detroit ensemble led by Faruq Z. Bey on Emerging Field is a fine example of spiritual creative music from the Motor CIty creative music. Simultaneously introspective and probing.
Welcome Sunra, great recommendation and share your thoughts on Faruq Z. Bey.

Last edited:

Sunra

Jul 16, 2018
Welcome Sunra, great recommendation and share your thoughts on Faruq Z. Bey.
I think I did. Those that lean towards Art Ensemble of Chicago are certain to like it. 8<)

This Detroit ensemble led by Faruq Z. Bey on Emerging Field is a fine example of spiritual creative music from the Motor CIty creative music. Simultaneously introspective and probing.

stirlingtrayle

Re-discovering Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. Such a beautiful album. Why have I not played it more...?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I think I did. Those that lean towards Art Ensemble of Chicago are certain to like it. 8<)

This Detroit ensemble led by Faruq Z. Bey on Emerging Field is a fine example of spiritual creative music from the Motor CIty creative music. Simultaneously introspective and probing.
I wrote that poorly, I meant it was a great share of your thoughts on Faruq. My bad for writing it that way. I enjoyed your recommendation and hope you will keep sharing these.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunra

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Re-discovering Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs. Such a beautiful album. Why have I not played it more...?
Thanks! Another great recording digitally mastered by Ron McMaster.
For more of Ron's work, Tidal users can check link below, don't think Qobuz has this search function unfortunately.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Great review of the album;
"This album deserves recognition as one of the best vocal albums released in 2023.
If you're a blues fan, get this album. If you love female vocals, get this album. If you simply enjoy great music making, get this album. Did I say this enough? Get this album. You'll love it.
The album is 15 tracks of pure enjoyment—excellent contemporary blues that honors the traditions of the genre and the music of Robert Johnson
Carmen Gomes Inc. previously paid tribute to blues great Robert Johnson on their excellent album Up Jumped The Devil, released in 2020. With Stones in My Passway, Gomes Inc. moves to a higher level of music interpretation. Her phrasing, dynamics and inflection are simply remarkable. She sings directly, honestly, without unnecessary embellishment or vocal manipulation. Her sultry delivery of inspired interpretations of this music immerses one into the soundscape being created by the collaborative work of Gomes and her band members. And the work of her accompanying band members truly shines in this recording. The percussion work of drummer Bert Kamsteeg makes a strong contribution, often a central one, complementing the vocals of Gomes. Contributions from guitarist Folker Tettero and double-bassist Peter Bjørnild are equally strong. These four musicians are beautifully in sync, consistently complementing and extending each other's contributions to the music.
The recording quality is among the best recordings I've heard from Sound Liaison recording engineer Frans de Rond. And he's made quite a few of my favorite recordings. But, when recording Carmen Gomes, Frans seems to rise to yet another level. Frans has been Carmen Gomes' preferred recording engineer for 27 years for good reason! ." Positive Feedback, USA

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiofreak71

APP

Oct 1, 2014
View attachment 121364
Another great recording and these guys cook. 32/352.8.
+1 and a fine review in JazzNu;

“The Ghost, The King and I, swing with a deep and magnificent groove in unique interpretations of George Gershwin classics.”
“Recorded earlier this year in the sacred sanctuary of Studio 2 at MCO Hilversum,
'We Got Rhythm – The Music of George Gershwin' is a live performance documented in the presence of a studio audience. Notably, the audience's presence adds a distinct quality to the recording.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Lots of interesting jazz records being released as part of record store day 2024:

Sampler from the Art Tatum live at the Chicago Blue Note, 1953 (previously unissued):

Some are LP only, some are issued on both LP and CD.

02:03 - Cannonball Adderley - Burnin' in Bordeaux 04:09 - Cannonball Adderley - Poppin' in Paris 06:03 - Monty Alexander Trio - Live at the Montreux Festival 07:11 - Chet Baker & Jack Sheldon - In Perfect Harmony 09:48 - Brother Jack McDuff - Ain't No Sunshine 12:11 - Nat King Cole - Live at the Blue Note Chicago 13:45 - Manu Dibango - Manu 76 14:59 - Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans 16:43 - Kenny Garrett - Who Killed AI 18:31 - Astrud Gilberto - That Girl From Ipanema 20:01 - Vince Guaraldi - It Was a Short Summer, Charlie Brown 22:20 - Yusef Lateef - Atlantis Lullaby: The Concert From Avignon 23:43 - Shelly Manne - Jazz From the Pacific Northwest 25:19 - 2 titles by Wojtek Masolewski - Spirit to All & Live Spirit 26:58 - Christian McBride & Edgar Meyer - But Who's Gonna Play the Melody? 28:11 - Charles Mingus - Reincarnations 30:16 - Charlie Parker - Jazz at the Philharmonic 31:58 - Dave Pike - The Doors of Perception 33:41 - Pucho & His Latin Soul Brothers - Yaina 35:05 - Sonny Rollins - Freedom Weaver 36:25 - Pharoah Sanders - Harvest Time 7" 37:39 - Gil Scott Heron & Brian Jackson - Winter in America 39:03 - 2 titles by Sun Ra - Pink Elephants on Parade & At the Showcase 41:25 - Art Tatum - Jewels in the Treasure Box 43:35 - Jazz Dispensary - Freedom Sound The People Arise 44:06 - Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy - The Mighty Warriors 46:33 - The 8 Hardest RSD Titles to Grab plus 2 others

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
You may be curious to hear a young Miles Davis. This session was recorded on October 18, 1946 during his tenure with Billy Eckstine's band. He was 20 years old.

Gene Ammons, 21 at the time, on tenor saxophone is the real star of the session. I wish his solos were longer!

There are 3 takes of that song. It is always interesting to compare versions and see to how these guys improvised:

• Miles Davis - trumpet
  • Gene Ammons - tenor saxophone
  • Linton Garner - piano
  • Connie Wainwright - guitar
  • Tommy Potter - bass
  • Art Blakey - drums
  • Ann Hathaway - vocals

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
You may be curious to hear a young Miles Davis. This session was recorded on October 18, 1946 during his tenure with Billy Eckstine's band. He was 20 years old.

Gene Ammons, 21 at the time, on tenor saxophone is the real star of the session. I wish his solos were longer!

There are 3 takes of that song. It is always interesting to compare versions and see to how these guys improvised:

• Miles Davis - trumpet
  • Gene Ammons - tenor saxophone
  • Linton Garner - piano
  • Connie Wainwright - guitar
  • Tommy Potter - bass
  • Art Blakey - drums
  • Ann Hathaway - vocals

23 years later, in 1969...still swinging!

P.S. This album is available on Qobuz (and I assume other streaming services) paired with his previous album "The Boss is Back":

Last edited:

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io

Same song, performed live. Cool video. Sound is not great, but it gives you an idea of the energy these guys put out.

Gene Ammons' solos are better on the album version. I find them really fascinating. The track is challenging for our "sophisticated" systems. The guitar is on the left channel, the drums on the right channel, and the bass, organ, and sax in the center. You don't want the whole thing to sound disjointed, and it's not easy getting the sax to sound full, clear, and powerful, not drowned out by the rest. Give it a try (album is available on streaming services)!

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing