What is your favorite Live Recording?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No problem. I won't speak of it again....although this thread is rather silly now isnt it since we can speak of where to get said favorite live recordings.

Perhaps this is the difference between music lovers and gear lovers?

I am a music lover first and foremost, so your comment doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned. The Rules of the Forum are more important.

John

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Glad this has been worked out. Let's take it to PM. Maybe in the (near) future we can sort out the bit torrent matter. I think there may be a way and this whole forum would benefit from it without running the risk of crossing any lines that are not to be crossed (why does that sound like something out of a Harry Potter story).

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Jimna was trying to provide a cool contribution to the forum. As stated, we'll work this out and keep WBF in the clear.

Thanks to all parties for the civility and generosity in this matter!

Lee

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Peter Gabriel Plays Live and Secret World
Genesis Live Seconds Out
Dweezil Zappa Zappa Plays Zappa
Renaissance Live Royal Albert Hall
Frank Zappa Broadway the Hard Way
Gentile Giant Live
Good Rats Live Obscure Local band
Yes Live at Monreux 2003

Just a few of many more

Rob:)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Peter Gabriel Plays Live and Secret World
Genesis Live Seconds Out
Dweezil Zappa Zappa Plays Zappa
Renaissance Live Royal Albert Hall
Frank Zappa Broadway the Hard Way
Gentile Giant Live
Good Rats Live Obscure Local band
Yes Live at Monreux 2003

Just a few of many more

I knew I liked Rob when he described his fondness for JBL speakers, but this even better! Hey Ken, it looks like we have another prog head here!

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Hello Ron

Nothing like making a guy feel welcome! A little off topic may be want to start a new thread but any new bands you recommend?

I didn't even get into

UK Live
Greg Lake Live When he had his own band KB Flower Hour
King Crimson Anything at all
Steve Hackett Live in Tokyo
Kansas
Rush
ELO
Triumvirat Only Studio saw them live
Refugee only Studio I album Wonder
The Nice Compilation 3 cd set
PFM Cook
Nectar
Asia Live in Moscow
John Wetton Chasing the Dragon
Ambrosia

And so on

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
I knew I liked Rob when he described his fondness for JBL speakers, but this even better! Hey Ken, it looks like we have another prog head here!
Saw that. We're gonna have to resurrect the Prog Thread. ;-)

Rob, I saw GG perform at the Whisky or Roxy (can't recall which) back in '71 or so. Very small venue and they were superb!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Gee, I'm surprised I have one that everybody missed "801 LIVE"

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sinatra: At the Sands

Les McCann & Eddie Harris: Swiss Movement

Albert King: Live Wire/Blues Power

Art Blakey Quintet: Night at Birdland 1 & 2

Cannonball Adderley Quintet: Live in San Francisco

Hendrix: Band of Gypsies

Thelonious Monk: Alone in San Francisco

Joni Mitchell: Miles of Aisles

Leonard Bernstein: Mahler's 1st Symphony Concertbouw Amsterdam

Allman Brothers: Live at Filmore East

Neil Young: Massey Hall

Eva Cassidy: Live at Blues Alley

Michael Tilson Thomas: San Francisco Symphony Mahler Symphony Series

Patricia Barber: Modern Cool

Cream: Wheels of Fire

Donny Hathaway: These Songs For You

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ones I've played the most in the last year?

Neil Young, Sinatra, Allman Brothers, Hendrix, Donny and Joni.

But, in the past few years, any and all of those can and have gotten stuck in my player for awhile, depending on the current mood.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Young, Sinatra, Gilmour's Gdansk are the ones I've played more than any others. Just took out my copy of Three Dog Night: Captured Live at the Forum. Will be giving that a spin after work.

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Picked up the German 180g pressing of Eric Clapton Unplugged today....have never owned it on vinyl before, so this will be a treat.

John

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Wow, I just copied and pasted the lists people here were generous to provide. I will make my Christmas list out of a selection of these. Thank you all.

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I generally tend to prefer live recordings of the music types I listen to most--classical and jazz. Even in the rock genre, the spontaneity of live recordings often outweighs studio wizardry. Besides the added spontaneity of recordings which are not made in snippets and where there is a real live audience to create a feedback loop between performers and audience, live recordings tend to be recorded with less microphones. Less mikes generally means better sound--again, even in the rock area.

I think it is just a fact that good musicians play better when they have an appreciative audience, regardless of the genre of music. And to the extent that even the best musicians will occasionally make mistakes, I'd rather listen to that type of more human recording than the note-perfect productions which most studios feel obligated to turn out.

As far as actual choices for my favorites, I'll first echo a few that have already been mentioned:

Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall 1965
Harry Belafonte at Carnegie Hall
Eva Cassidy, Live at Blues Alley
Chuck Mangione, Land of Make Believe
Sinatra 57
Clark Terry, Live at the Village Gate

Someone else mentioned Patricia Barber's Modern Cool. While I also admire that recording, unless there is another version with the same title, that one is a studio recording. As far as live Patricia Barber recordings go, I'd put Companion on the list.

In terms of audiophile recordings, I'd pick two from the Reference Recordings catalog:

Your Friendly Neighborhood Big Band
Red Norvo, The Forward Look

For any Grateful Dead-Heads out there, I'd put Live Dead on the list, as well as any number of the Dick's Picks recordings--too numerous to mention. These days, however, if I want a Dead fix, I usually just turn on the Greatful Dead Channel on Sirius satellite radio.

Also in the rock area, I'll add my "guilty pleasures" recording: Kenny Loggins, Outside from the Redwoods. Fabulous sound (if your system is not balanced too brightly) and rousing performances. I know, some find Loggins (and Messina) insipid, but not me and especially not here.

I'll also mention the Harry James recordings on Sheffield Lab. While not live recordings, they were made direct-to-disc in a single take per LP side and thus have much of the spontaneity of live recordings and have very simple miking, the main mike being a single-point stereo pickup.

As to Jazz in the Pawnshop, my two cents is that while the recorded sound is outstanding, especially for the time, the performances are not captivating. Try the Red Norvo, The Forward Look recording instead. This was Keith Johnson's first recording with his then-brand-new Ampex 3-track tape recorder, and the liner notes say it was made on 12/31/1957. The sound is every bit as fine as on Pawnshop and the musicians--well, let's just say that they play better jazz.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
Another Reference jewel is "Nojima Plays Liszt." I am talking about the first pressing, the RR -25CD, not the new HDCD version. On my system the unmodified recording is more live sounding than any other piano recital in my collection.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing