What is your favorite Live Recording?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
My take on Jazz at the Pawnshop is that I like it because it is "fun" music. The high-end is much better than the bottom end. I made a 15 ips 2 track recording from my LPs that contains side one from Sonny Rollins Way Out West which is followed by Jazz at the Pawnshop. After you finish listening to Way Out West and JATP comes on, you are bass starved. The bottom end is rolled off (at least on my copy) of JATP. Way Out West pretty much shames most recordings though.

Did I read somewhere that JATP was recorded on a Revox A-77 tape deck and played back through a Dynaco ST-70 amp?

I think Proprius used modded B77 while Opus 3 used an A77. Could have it reversed though.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East, followed closely by
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East, followed closely by
Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Yeah love that Allman Bros. album and have been meaning to pick up a replacement copy! Gotta love Duane!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Jill Scott revisited. After having listened to Jill Scott live in Paris several times and viewed the DVD I have to say the following. I have not gotten so moved by a recording since I heard Billie Holiday sing Good Morning Heart Ache. If you don't give this recording a chance you are doing yourself a disservice. There are no rap songs.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Jazz at the Pawnshop ...A little OT .. People. Jill Scott is real. One of the great voice in pop music. I agreee with Gregadd .. The album is simply extraordinary. Yes, I know we, audiophiles are given to hyperboles, not there .. The album (CD and DVD) is great...
Jazz at the Pawnshop still stands technicaly head and shoulder above most live recordings though, Jazz or otherwise ...

Frantz

P.S. It is only fair to acknowledge that JATP is good music... not great , not ground breaking , not excellent but it is hard to fault it as a recording ... Let also be a little open on music .. It has no border.. What we celebrate as American Classical Music is part of the world heritage...

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

Jazz at the Pawnshop ...A little OT .. People. Jill Scott is real. One of the great voice in pop music. I agreee with Gregadd .. The album is simply extraordinary. Yes, I know we, audiophiles are given to hyperboles, not there .. The album (CD and DVD) is great...
Jazz at the Pawnshop still stands technicaly head and shoulder above most live recordings though, Jazz or otherwise ...

Frantz

P.S. It is only fair to acknowledge that JATP is good music... not great , not ground breaking , not excellent but it is hard to fault it as a recording ... Let also be a little open on music .. It has no border.. What we celebrate as American Classical Music is part of the world heritage...

The 15 ips R2R sounds pretty spectacular too :)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Let's trace a musical evolution..

Not necessarily in order.

Three Dog Night Live
Grand Funk Railroad Live
Made in Japan Deep Purple
J. Geils Band Live
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush: Live
Hendrix at the Isle of Wight
Friday Night in San Francisco: DiMeola, McLaughlin, & DeLucia
Shakti: Live
Renaissance: Live at Carnegie Hall
B.B. King: Live at Cook County Jail
Eric Clapton: Unplugged
Nirvana: Unplugged
LangLang: Live at Carnegie Hall
Midsummer Mozart Festival Live
Swing Live Bucky Pizzarelli
Clark Terry: Live at the Village Gate
Jazz at the Pawnshop

Many classical recordings, which are made during live performances, are not included because the audience is forced to wear gags, rendering them silent.

Certainly not a complete list, but some of the musically significant recordings from 4 decades of listening.

There are also a great number of new live performances on BluRay disc, which will be/are mentioned in the BluRay section of the forum.

Lee

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I think Proprius used modded B77 while Opus 3 used an A77. Could have it reversed though.

Had it reversed as suspected ;) Proprius A77 and Opus 3 B77.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My favorite live albums:
1. Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall
2. Belafonte at Carnegie Hall
3. Windham Hill Live
4. Michael Franks and Crossfire Live in Australia
5. Kenny G Live
6. Jazz at the Pawnshop (half speed version cut by Stan Ricker)
7. Friday Night in San Francisco (CBS DM Japanese pressing)

Last edited:

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Yeah love that Allman Bros. album and have been meaning to pick up a replacement copy! Gotta love Duane!

Hi Myles,

You really need to pick the reissue up while it's still available. I'm lucky to have a mint orignal pressing that I play sparingly, but have spinning right now. The versions of Stormy Monday and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed are totally worth the money for those two tracks alone. :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
So many choices, but the one I always return to is Little Feat 'Waiting for Columbus'. Particularly the side with Mercenary Territory, Day or Night and Spanish Moon. Never fails to get my heart pumping, and the instrumental breaks by the Tower of Power horn section are amazing. The MoFi remasters are the way to go, and they are releasing another reprint or remaster soon.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Carpenters Live in Tokyo.

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
Grateful Dead 5/7/77 - The Betty Reel Recordings

Frank Zappa 1/20/76 and Philly '76

Widespread Panic 4/3/96

Phish 10/31/09

JJ Cale - Live

Derek Trucks Band - Songlines DVD

Woodstock Movie

Pink Floyd - Live in Pompei

Neil Young & CH - Weld and Live Rust

The Band - The Last Waltz

and the list goes on......

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm listening to the David Gilmour: Live In Gdansk 5-LP boxset, and I'm very impressed with the overall quality so far. It is only my 3rd listen to the entire set of LP's, but I can say without hesitation that it is more than pleasant in terms of audio quality.

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The one that comes to mind, which as so far gone unmentioned is Van Morrison's "It's Too Late To Stop Now."

P

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Has anyone actually listened to ALL of the cuts on JATP?? I've been listening to over 4hr. of tape now.. and most of it is boorrrrrrrriiinngggg!:eek:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hahahaha! Duck and run, Bruce.

LOL.... yeah, got the flame suit on. Proprius and FIM certainly chose the best cuts. The rest of the stuff should have ended up on the floor with the rest of the tape!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,

You really need to pick the reissue up while it's still available. I'm lucky to have a mint orignal pressing that I play sparingly, but have spinning right now. The versions of Stormy Monday and In Memory of Elizabeth Reed are totally worth the money for those two tracks alone. :)

Picked up the Classic Records version at their sale.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing