What is your favorite Live Recording?

Ocean56

Aug 26, 2010
Michigan
Rolling Stones - "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" might be my overall favorite...at least if one counts the number of times I PLAY it!....

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Keith Jarret - The Koln Concert
Alice in Chains - Unplugged
Michael Jonazz - Mr. Swing
Supertramp - Paris

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I know it's frowned upon by many true jazz lovers, but I love Jazz At The Pawnshop. I like it and if you don't....:p

John :)

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Kurt Elling- Live in Chicago
Kurt Elling - Dedicated to You:Sings of Music Coltrane & Hartman
Jessica Williams -Live at Yoshi's
Joe Locke- Rev-elation
Kenny Werner Trio - Peace
Mulgrew Miller- Live at Yoshi's Vol.1
Wayne Shorter- Footprints Live
Marian McPartland - 85 Candles
Stryker/Slagle Band - Live at the Jazz Standards
Kenny Barron's "Perfect Set" live at Bradley's
Bruce Barth- Live at the Village Vanguard
Tony Monaco-Intimately Live at the 501
Art Pepper- More for Les at the Village Vanguard
Jason Linder- Live/UK
Charles Lloyd — Rabo De Nube
Carla Bley Big Band - Appearing Nightly
Sonny Rollins — Road Shows, Vol.1
Mike LeDonne - Five Live

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Here are a few favorites:

Bee Gees: "One Night Only" (Yes, I'm serious)
Buena Vista Social Club: "At Carnegie Hall"
Johnny Cash: "At Folsom Prison"
Anat Cohen "Clarinetwork: "Live At The Village Vanguard"
Leonard Cohen "Live In London"
Miles Davis "Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk"
DiMeola,DeLuca, McLaughlin: "Friday Night in San Francisco"
Duke Ellington: "At Newport '56"
Gene Harris: "At Ste. Chapelle Winery"
Coleman Hawkins: "Alive! At the Village Vanguard"
Woody Herman: "A Concord Jam, Vol 1"
Hank Jones: "Live In Japan"
Oliver Jones & Charles Biddle: "Festival International De Jazz De Montreal"
Kinks: "One For The Road"
Thelonious Monk: "Live At The It Club"
Nirvana: "Unplugged"
Arturo O'Farrill: "Live In Brooklyn"
Joshua Redman: "Live At the Village Vanguard"
Talking Heads: "Stop Making Sense"
Sadao Watanabe: "Live at Brava's Club"

Last edited:

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
Recently, I have been listening to Roy Orbison and Friends, on the DVD Black and White Night. Great tunes.

Also, I have to agree with others when they mentioned Neil Young at Massey Hall.

I also like CSNY 4 Way Street.

Eric Clapton Unplugged, and Rod Stewart's MTV Unplugged and Seated.

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
Thanks. My comment was tongue-in-cheek by the way, I dont want to come off as pompous. Humor get lost in text.

As to the Mule, I do. I have a show that he played until 5:30 in the morning(started at 2) that was good enough keep me on my feet the whole show. Unfortunately Gov't mule isnt listed on LMA. I guess I could send space you a copy. 24/48 ok?

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Outstanding! Typical Mule, playing shows in excess of 3 hours. Which show? I'm going to see this year's Halloween show at The Fox Theater here in Oaktown. Undoubtedly it will be a special performance. I've got the '07 and '08 S.F. shows. I have the '09 show Warren and Derek did with The Allmans in Oakland as well as the show they did in N.Y. when Clapton joined them. I've also got a 6 song acoustical set with just Warren & Gregg Alllman. Maybe we can do some trading?

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
Its the All Good '08 set. I also have the ABB @ RR from last summer, and Mule from the Fillmore in Feb. I honestly don't collect much anymore due to the simple fact Im buried under my own tapes and never get time to listen to much else.

Are you familiar with bit torrent?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Its the All Good '08 set. I also have the ABB @ RR from last summer, and Mule from the Fillmore in Feb. I honestly don't collect much anymore due to the simple fact Im buried under my own tapes and never get time to listen to much else.

Are you familiar with bit torrent?

Please do not post any links to torrent downloads on the forum. What communications you hold in private is up to you.

Lee

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Marlboro Music Festival 40th Anniversary recording of Mozart Serenade no 10 and Sonata for Bassoon and Cello.
This is a live recording where you feel the musicians (and the audience) are enjoying the performance. If, at the end of both pieces you do not feel the need to join the audience in their applause, buy a new system or go to attend a live performance!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ok, but I'm curious why?

Our Terms of Service, from the "Announcements" forum, contains this warning:

10. Members should avoid posting copyrighted material and or anything of illegal nature of any sort include methods for circumvention of copy protected material. Violations will be dealt with swiftly and strongly. When referring to external sites, please provide a link so that people can go and read the material on that site if they so choose.

Many of the torrent downloads are used to distribute material that is otherwise copyrighted. I simply ask that we not endanger the forum by participating in this activity.

Thanks,

Lee

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
No worries I wont post them, but FYI none of my recordings are illegal. I only record taper friendly artists who allow free trading of their music. I think your view is a bit narrow.

Sites like bt.etree.org, tradersden.org, and cotapers.org only allow BT's of known trade friendly bands, not to mention the countless bands listed on archive.org that are 100% legal. To me as music lovers it silly to issue a blanket ban on great music thats waiting for a quality system to play it.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
No worries I wont post them, but FYI none of my recordings are illegal. I only record taper friendly artists who allow free trading of their music. I think your view is a bit narrow.

Sites like bt.etree.org, tradersden.org, and cotapers.org only allow BT's of known trade friendly bands, not to mention the countless bands listed on archive.org that are 100% legal. To me as music lovers it silly to issue a blanket ban on great music thats waiting for a quality system to play it.

Well, it's not my "view". It's what is contained in the Terms of Service. If you feel that you can post something that doesn't violate those terms, I have no issue with that! Please check with Steve or Amir before putting it up, though. I'd appreciate that. Not trying to be tyrannical here, just don't want to bring any kind of trouble to the forum.

Lee

Jimna

Jul 8, 2010
Denver CO
www.flickr.com
No problem. I won't speak of it again....although this thread is rather silly now isnt it since we can speak of where to get said favorite live recordings.

Perhaps this is the difference between music lovers and gear lovers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing