What is the best DAC under £250?

craigy

May 17, 2015
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a new DAC for under £250, im using Iphone 6 and a pair of Bower & Wilkins P7 headphones,
would appreciate some help with this,

Thanks,

Craig

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've heard the ADL/Furutech X1. It plugs directly on the iPhone, and will provide a nice boost to your B&Ws.
Even better is the iFI iDSD, both in Nano and Micro versions (I think the Micro might be dearer than the 250 UKP you specified). Also, you will need the Camera Connection Kit adapter.

alexandre

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello.. I beleive there aren't much choices to quality production dacs in this price.. I would recomment ifi nano idsd , (have been auditioned), very nice sound, good hardware & chipware, and DSD/DXD compatible.. with 180 euros.. and can be used indepentently in your system too..

regards..

craigy

May 17, 2015
I've heard the ADL/Furutech X1. It plugs directly on the iPhone, and will provide a nice boost to your B&Ws.
Even better is the iFI iDSD, both in Nano and Micro versions (I think the Micro might be dearer than the 250 UKP you specified). Also, you will need the Camera Connection Kit adapter.

alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

thank you for the reply :)

I've had a look at some reviews on youtube for the nano and micro and nobody really mentions which one is the best, i beleive both can me used as a portable device?
the micro looks a little bulky not that that's a problem if the sound is good, how much better does it actually sound.?
Ive also looked at the Teac HA-P50 and the DENON DA10SPEM ?
i just don't want to waiste 250 pound if it's just a slight improvement.

thanks again :)

craigy

May 17, 2015
Hi, yeah it does sound like a good choice, i don't know just how much it's going to improve on what i've already got?
i have also replied to alexandre's comment,

thank you

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi Alexandre,

thank you for the reply :)

I've had a look at some reviews on youtube for the nano and micro and nobody really mentions which one is the best, i beleive both can me used as a portable device?
the micro looks a little bulky not that that's a problem if the sound is good, how much better does it actually sound.?
Ive also looked at the Teac HA-P50 and the DENON DA10SPEM ?
i just don't want to waiste 250 pound if it's just a slight improvement.

thanks again :)

I have not heard the Denon nor the Teac unit you're talking about but I have the IFi micro iDSD and it is a fantastic unit.its ampifier section is good and very powerful. It will drive any headphones out there including the extremely inefficient but so wonderful sounding Hifiiman HE600 which is a beast to drive.. It doubles as a 4000 mAH battery back-up for your mobile devices ... Highly recommended ..l I believe however it is above your price point, about $500 .... the nano doesn't have all the features .. I haven't heard it but all reviews mention similar performance
As for "slight" vs "dramatic". it has to be your call ...

craigy

May 17, 2015
hey thank you once again for your replies :) much appreciated, i'll be making a decision next couple of days :)

Craig

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I haven't compared the micro x nano directly (we sold out of micros before I could)... But I think the main difference might be just the ports and features. Sound-wise, they might be almost equivalent.
As I said, to use these directly with a portable device, you'll need the Apple Camera Kit adapter. With the ADL/Furutech X1, you don't.

alexandre

craigy

May 17, 2015
so i take it you can supply me the nan if need be because if i decide i'll order from yourself :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing