What ethernet cables are members using?

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
for those running Fiber Optics: do you use the same model Ethernet cable pre and post FO or do you place more emphasis on the cable post FO?
Yes I do and I found it makes a difference.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
I really like the Belden RevConnect RJ45 termination tool and jacks. They are light years ahead of the standard residential grade ethernet tools and connectors.
Use Belden cable.
Use Deoxit G100 on all the terminations.
Thats your behind the wall foundation.
Spend what you want from the wall to the equipment. But I bet its a much lesser heard cable unless you have an issue. A switch or router will have a larger influence on performance than a well applied spec cable terminated properly
Thank you for a cogent and informed opinion. Spend the extra $ on room treatments or music.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
IME, shielded cables (CAT6a, CAT7, and CAT8) beat unshielded twisted pair cables (CAT5e and CAT6). My opinion of the audiophile ethernet cables I've tried:
Blue Jeans Cable CAT6a - Musically good but bass is a bit loose, soundstage a bit constricted and transients are softened slightly. Not shield-tied, which can be an advantage, depending on the grounding situation.
Supra CAT8 - Tight bass and revealing treble but the bass range is shelved down, causing a bright and uninvolving sound.
Audio Sensibility Supra Super - Same downsides as Supra CAT8, but more dynamic transient performance.
Melco C100 - Sounds very much like Supra CAT8, but a bit messy. May outperform Supra where there is a shield-tie grounding issue, but I was disappointed in this cable, I expected more.
Furutech LAN-8 NCF - Beats all of the above cables. Good tonality and musicality, bass is a bit loose, instrument separation is not top class.
Audio Sensibility Signature - Excellent detail, bass is very tight and present, treble is clean and balanced. Overall sound is cool and fast, which may or may not suit a particular system. The AS Signature cable is 100mbps, not gigabit.
Sablon 2020 - Superb detail, instrument separation and soundstage. Rich and warm sound, which may or may not suit the system. Not shield-tied.
for those running Fiber Optics: do you use the same model Ethernet cable pre and post FO or do you place more emphasis on the cable post FO?
I have three ethernet cables in the chain feeding the main system;
NAS to Silent Angel N8, N8 to opticalModule and Etheregen to Playpoint streamer
I hear major differences in ethernet cables, regardless of whether they are upstream or downstream of the fiber optic conversion.

I was using three Furutech cables, one of which was modified with Telegartner connectors, the other with Telegartners and shield ground lifted at one end. I was not happy with bass and transient snap, so I added the Audio Sensibility Signature between the ER and streamer. This was a big improvement, but I was still not completely satisfied, because it was a little bit aggressive with some music. I warmed the sound up by adding the Sablon between the NAS and N8. This change added weight and warmth, with better instrument separation and soundstage.

I would swap positions of the AS Signature and Sablon, but there a some practical concerns:
1. The Sablon cable is stiff, and needs to bend a lot in my installation, which pushes the ER off the shelf.
2. The 100mbps rating on the AS Signature limits use further back in the chain. It is fine where it is, as the ER is also 100mbps on the B-side.
3. I have four audio systems in the house, and having the juicy Sablon at the NAS benefits all.

I do not intend to pursue any ethernet cable changes for a while. I am thrilled with the sound right now, and I have other priorities. Later I may try a second Sabon in place of the Furutech. I suspect three Sablon cables could tilt my system too much to the warm side.

So, to answer your question @harsheel_dbs, I am inclined to mix and match cables, seasoning the sound to achieve the musicality, tonality and transient performance that I am seeking.

Last edited:

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
IME, shielded cables (CAT6a, CAT7, and CAT8) beat unshielded twisted pair cables (CAT5e and CAT6). My opinion of the audiophile ethernet cables I've tried:
Blue Jeans Cable CAT6a - Musically good but bass is a bit loose, soundstage a bit constricted and transients are softened slightly. Not shield-tied, which can be an advantage, depending on the grounding situation.
Supra CAT8 - Tight bass and revealing treble but the bass range is shelved down, causing a bright and uninvolving sound.
Audio Sensibility Supra Super - Same downsides as Supra CAT8, but more dynamic transient performance.
Melco C100 - Sounds very much like Supra CAT8, but a bit messy. May outperform Supra where there is a shield-tie grounding issue, but I was disappointed in this cable, I expected more.
Furutech LAN-8 NCF - Beats all of the above cables. Good tonality and musicality, bass is a bit loose, instrument separation is not top class.
Audio Sensibility Signature - Excellent detail, bass is very tight and present, treble is clean and balanced. Overall sound is cool and fast, which may or may not suit a particular system. The AS Signature cable is 100mbps, not gigabit.
Sablon 2020 - Superb detail, instrument separation and soundstage. Rich and warm sound, which may or may not suit the system. Not shield-tied.

I hear major differences in ethernet cables, regardless of whether they are upstream or downstream of the fiber optic conversion.

I was using three Furutech cables, one of which was modified with Telegartner connectors, the other with Telegartners and shield ground lifted at one end. I was not happy with bass and transient snap, so I added the Audio Sensibility Signature between the ER and streamer. This was a big improvement, but I was still not completely satisfied, because it was a little bit aggressive with some music. I warmed the sound up by adding the Sablon between the NAS and N8. This change added weight and warmth, with better instrument separation and soundstage.

It could try to swap positions of the AS Signature and Sablon, but there a some practical concerns:
1. The Sablon cable is stiff, and needs to bend a lot in my installation, which pushes the ER off the shelf.
3. I have four audio systems in the house, and having the juicy Sablon at the NAS benefits all.

I do not intend to pursue further ethernet cable changes for a while. I am thrilled with the sound right now, and I have other priorities. Later I may try a second Sabon in place of the Furutech. I suspect three Sablon cables could tilt my system too much to the warm side.

So, to answer your question @harsheel_dbs, I am inclined to mix and match cables, seasoning the sound to achieve the musicality, tonality and transient performance that I am seeking.
Great post and feedback.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I have moved from Supra Cat8 to Sablon 2020 cables. Having mixing cables pre and post fiber did not sound right in my setup. I have just put the second Sablon cable in and have not had time to listen properly but things sound very pleasant and promising.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I have moved from Supra Cat8 to Sablon 2020 cables. Having mixing cables pre and post fiber did not sound right in my setup. I have just put the second Sablon cable in and have not had time to listen properly but things sound very pleasant and promising.
IME, using Supra CAT8 anywhere in the chain lowers sound quality. Even compared to my favourite generics.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
IME, using Supra CAT8 anywhere in the chain lowers sound quality. Even compared to my favourite generics.
For me, the Supra cable has been a solid performer but might switch out the upstream cable from router to switch to the Furutech cable and see how that goes. I want to like it but there has been a clash previously, I will revisit now that the Supras are out.

Republicoftexas69

Supra have worked great in my setup pre and post fiber.
Marked improvement over BJC Cat6a.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
Supra have worked great in my setup pre and post fiber.
Marked improvement over BJC Cat6a.
agreed, that was my upgrade path as well: whatever was in the router/switch box -> BJC Cat6 -> Supra Cat8.

At this point the weakest link is probably whatever contractor grade cable is in the walls. I don't know how difficult it is to replace that with decent cable or fiber.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

agreed, that was my upgrade path as well: whatever was in the router/switch box -> BJC Cat6 -> Supra Cat8.

At this point the weakest link is probably whatever contractor grade cable is in the walls. I don't know how difficult it is to replace that with decent cable or fiber.
Exactly. I have pulled all the contractor grade out on the first floor of our home and pulled Supra Bulk Cat 8 that was for 2 rooms, office and listening room. 2nd floor will wait...

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

I would swap positions of the AS Signature and Sablon, but there a some practical concerns:
2. The 100mbps rating on the AS Signature limits use further back in the chain. It is fine where it is, as the ER is also 100mbps on the B-side.

I do not intend to pursue any ethernet cable changes for a while. I am thrilled with the sound right now, and I have other priorities. Later I may try a second Sabon in place of the Furutech. I suspect three Sablon cables could tilt my system too much to the warm side.

Thank you Audiobomber, nice write-up.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
AAI Maestozo

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Exactly. I have pulled all the contractor grade out on the first floor of our home and pulled Supra Bulk Cat 8 that was for 2 rooms, office and listening room. 2nd floor will wait...
I ran a 20m Supra Bulk CAT8 during building works simply because it was going to be in use and exposed for several months and I didn't trust the builders not to damage a normal CAT6a. It is robust, fire retardant and I assumed the Telgartner would offer better protection from building dust.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of CAT7 or CAT8. Most domestic modems operate at 1 gbps, some at 2.5 gbps and very few higher. CAT6a is designed for 10 gbps, so far exceeds the data speeds possible in a home. CAT8 is theoretically much higher, quoted 40 gbps, and is only of any value in high speed data centres. You have to be in a really high-noise location with bunched cables for shielding (CAT7 or 8) to be needed, such as a power station.

Belden/BJC are tested to meet the internationally agreed standards. Belden advise that about 80% of ethernet cables fail, generic from Amazon and expensive audiophile stuff, but it isn't going to make a performance because the speed/bandwith required for audio is so much lower.

For many years I had internal contractor grade CAT5e running externally over the roof for AV and audio, with no problems. A good reason for using it is that it is certified or 100m. CAT 6 is 50m and CAT 8 30m (I think). The biggest issue for contractors is likely to be length of run, not speed, hence CAT 5e is still a good choice in some circumstances.

Reactions: Bso

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Audio: 1m of BJC CAT6a either end of 20m of fibre

Otherwise, generic Amazon cables to 5 Ubiquiti access points which support up to 100 wireless devices, including HD audio (24/192) to 30 devices in 8 zones.

Data speeds are limited only by the incoming fibre speed, which Speedtest from around 250 to 550 mbps.

I was beta testing most of these wireless audio devices and with poor signal strength I got drop-outs. Thankfully software upgrades now result in excellent signals. The same thing happened trying to stream wired HD audio 15 years ago.

Last edited:

Republicoftexas69

I ran a 20m Supra Bulk CAT8 during building works simply because it was going to be in use and exposed for several months and I didn't trust the builders not to damage a normal CAT6a. It is robust, fire retardant and I assumed the Telgartner would offer better protection from building dust.

Otherwise, I don't see the point of CAT7 or CAT8. Most domestic modems operate at 1 gbps, some at 2.5 gbps and very few higher. CAT6a is designed for 10 gbps, so far exceeds the data speeds possible in a home. CAT8 is theoretically much higher, quoted 40 gbps, and is only of any value in high speed data centres. You have to be in a really high-noise location with bunched cables for shielding (CAT7 or 8) to be needed, such as a power station.

Belden/BJC are tested to meet the internationally agreed standards. Belden advise that about 80% of ethernet cables fail, generic from Amazon and expensive audiophile stuff, but it isn't going to make a performance because the speed/bandwith required for audio is so much lower.

For many years I had internal contractor grade CAT5e running externally over the roof for AV and audio, with no problems. A good reason for using it is that it is certified or 100m. CAT 6 is 50m and CAT 8 30m (I think). The biggest issue for contractors is likely to be length of run, not speed, hence CAT 5e is still a good choice in some circumstances.
Okay, glad That worked for you. YMMV.

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I've just ordered an upgraded switch with better clocks, insulation, components and power. Probably a lot more important than the cable.

Anything built to a technical specification (digital cables, fuses etc.) I'd far rather buy mass produced by machines, I think all my analog cables are hand assembled. In the UK there are minimum conductor diameters for current specifications of power cables, but that's probably about it (besides power cables requiring legally compliant plugs and fuses).

Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 11.39.00.png

Last edited:
Reactions: harsheel_dbs

Republicoftexas69

I've just ordered an upgraded switch with better clocks, insulation, components and power. Probably a lot more important than the cable.

Anything built to a technical specification (digital cables, fuses etc.) I'd far rather buy mass produced by machines, I think all my analog cables are hand assembled. In the UK there are minimum conductor diameters for current specifications of power cables, but that's probably about it (besides power cables requiring legally compliant plugs and fuses).

View attachment 119114
Already did that and would agree. Also I switched to fiber optic , huge improvement over standard Ethernet switches.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Already did that and would agree. Also I switched to fiber optic , huge improvement over standard Ethernet switches.
I have fibre installed under thew floors and behind walls.

I never managed to find a low noise switch with an SFP socket. I have a couple of bigger switches, an ancient Cisco and a Netgear, but they have PoE and internal transformers as they run off mains voltage. Also run quite warm. The guy who builds the above switches said I'm better off with a short cable from my main 12v unmanaged switch to the media converter I already have.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing