What do Audiophiles REALLY want ? Ask Mark Levinson / Nov 18, 2019

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And if you're into it ... skip all the intro and jump right in starting @ 6:16

And yes I've watched/listened everything entirely that I post (every single video, all of them), and I've read everything entirely that I post (every single article, all of them). ...Plus much much more.

I mention that in case someone ask me. And I spent days, weeks, months, years in selecting photos that I posted in the past.
It's like high dedication, similar to assembling a sound system throughout a life's journey...a montage, a painting taking a long time, a forest you explore ... I work/ed my best through my sweat like all of you do/did.

I like the man, his style, his audio engineering designs...I hope you do to...it's each person's own decision.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I know that @ times it seems to be a task to follow Mark, but it's worth it, very.
He confirmed what all serious audiophiles already know ... the sound, the reproduced sound, the music ... the closer to analogue the more faithfully true to happiness.
Digital done right ... bestest nearest to happiness ... ANALOGUE soul receptivity, digital sounding analog.
Something close to that anyway...you should watch/listen to that first video interview ...
It's only ten minutes; ten minutes confirming what audiophiles REALLY want but are too afraid asking, in general.

Last edited:
Reactions: HughP3

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks for posting.
Is Mark presuming all analog is good? I have had more than my share of bad analog recordings, all Journey recordings are rubbish in fact most rock is poor. No software can fix an unknown.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The spot where I retained the most was from 3:00 to 3:33 and keep going for the second thing...frequency response.

He talked about all recordings sounding different because of a multitude of reasons,
He emphasized frequency response, tone, ...
It's a very informative audio interview by a master audio designer and musician.

I don't know what audio gear he uses @ home; analog rig and digital rig.
From the spot I just mentioned above he said "Class says there are two things we need to be happy ..."

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I can’t comment there on the analog/jazz happiness relationship but I choose digital ever since the first CD player came out. I recall leaving analog way back mostly “because” of poor analog recordings but I soon discovered that the cd medium was not a silver bullet either which left me disappointed in the hobby in general. I found audiophile pressings were mostly good for example Sheffield labs, Heart special pressings etc but those were difficult to find in the non internet age. I decide that the black background of a cd was, for me, a small step but a step non the less in the right direction.

As I understand the video, the algorithm “fixes” the recording but fixes it to exactly what? He is a very very talented guy but he did not explain how the infinite variety of recording processes and hardware can be enhanced to an audiophile standard which is vague at best.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Has anyone in WBF ever listened to a Daniel Hertz system?

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian has as his friend has one

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Frequency response and bad tecordings.
Where have I heard that before?
"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing