Mark Levinson 32 or Viola Cadenza

Decibel

May 14, 2016
Hello everyone
I am considering the purchase of a preamplifier for my Mark Levinson 20.6, candidates are currently the Mark Levinson 32 or Viola Cadenza.
What can you advise me? Would there be better options?
Thanks

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hello everyone
I am considering the purchase of a preamplifier for my Mark Levinson 20.6, candidates are currently the Mark Levinson 32 or Viola Cadenza.
What can you advise me? Would there be better options?
Thanks
I don’t know anything about the Viola but owned the 32 when it first came out completing my at the time ML system, 30.5, 31.5 & the 33. It had beautiful fit and finish and a perfect match for 33’s incredible industrial design. Sonically it was only average and dull sounding compared to other preamps I owned at the time so I sold it after a few short months.

david

Decibel

May 14, 2016
“Sonically it was only average and dull sounding compared to other preamps I owned at the time so I sold it after a few short months.”
What preamps did you have ?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
“Sonically it was only average and dull sounding compared to other preamps I owned at the time so I sold it after a few short months.”
What preamps did you have ?
Several at the time, a couple of CJs, ART & Premiere 7, whatever the ARC Reference preamp was at the time and the Lamm L1 which was my favorite out of the lot.

david

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
As you probably already know, there is a lot of shared DNA between the two companies. I consider Viola to be some of the best solid state today. My only problem with them is the lack of continuity not in sound but in design language of their case work between series'.

My vote would be Viola. I too would consider the number 32 too dark even for me. I suppose it would be great for people that prefer a more round presentation and do not give as much value to the sense of space and transient attack. To be fair the 32 was king in the era of the aluminum and inverted titanium domes of the era. They were usually only considered dark when used with the esotars and other popular silk domes of the same era. Today's tweeters be they fabric, metal or composite have the extension but not the ringing of those from the past. Basically I'm thinking the 32 is a piece best set up with era correct components to best enjoy them. I would not hesitate to use them with Gen 1 Revel Salons or Studios for example. Today, I think the Violas have the old Levinson sound at least until the 300 series and built on it. They are simply better across the board, the only other niggle that some of their amps use fans which should be a problem for the few with really quiet rooms like me. The 400 series got me off the ML wagon and looking elsewhere because I felt they were not just different, they were worse. Like trumped up Proceeds instead of real MLs I remember thinking.

For reference, I went from ML to BAT then Lamm with a few flirtatious side trips along the way. I currently use Lamm and CH Precision most in my main listening room.

Decibel

May 14, 2016
To be fair the 32 was king in the era of the aluminum and inverted titanium domes of the era.
My speakers are Wilson Audio Maxx 2, but I don't know why I'm afraid with Nº.32
In the past, I owned Cello Palette and Duet 350 in mono and I was very happy but too much power and I sold them.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If one comes along in good condition and at a fair price, I don't think it'll be that risky. I remember wishing I had 20.5/6s but my budget at the time only allowed me to purchase a used 23.5 which I really loved driving my maggies.

Two things stood out for me when I went to show with 32s a couple of years later. First was the ergonomics, second the chassis build. Ergonomics, still some of the most thoughtful ever and the feel of the volume control was different from everything else and still not common now. The build? This is one of those that were not affected in the least by the shelves they were on. I've got to say, I still smile when I see pics of them. Beautiful gear. The IEC placement will also save anyone from power cord audio nervosa LOL

Still, if it were me, I'd still be lusting for the Cadenza even if it doesn't have the 32's iconic reputation. The preamp I used the longest in my life is the L2 Reference of Lamm, so clearly no remote is a-ok with me. It is a red flag for many though and the ML remotes of yore made for cute 1lb barbels LOL

Happy hunting decibel! The more I read what I've been writing the more apparent it is that I am splitting hairs here. I only wish I knew what the input sensitivity of the 20.6s are at full power. Only thing I could find was mV at 1w which tells me nothing. Otherwise I would easily recommend the Lamm L2 Reference should the 20.6s' IS be at the 1v mark.

Reactions: Noctilux095

Decibel

May 14, 2016
Finally I've bought a Viola Cadenza Preamp. It was a blind purchase, next week will arrive at my system, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Decibel

May 14, 2016
After a long time, I can say that Viola Cadenza and Mark Levinson 20.6 sound awesome with Avalon Indra speakers.

Reactions: docvale

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing