What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

theophile

• Haha
Reactions: Lynnot

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I just learned that now is not the first time that Audio-Technica have made visually matched cartridges and headshells.
View attachment 123659
Promo photo: OC9 series cart and H series shell.
Gorgeous! That combination is easily one of my favorites, aesthetically (haven't heard it yet). Makes it look higher end than its position in the line.
Van den Hul “The Colibri XGW Stradivarius“:

View attachment 118418

atb, Tom
I added Van den Huls to my collection late last year - really like them. Have a Colibri just like yours too. For me, it was a NIGHTMARE at first. Went through a phase where the body would suddenly start "shaking" and jump out of the groove. Tried many arms, and different VTFs. This Colibri has "for VPI 10.5i / Classic 3 arm" right on its box, and I even put it on THAT VERY ARM to no avail. In the end, I had to let it sit in the groove at rest overnight several times before its suspension mellowed out and started tracking again. Then it was at least staying in the groove, but went through a new phase of being a sibilant mess, ugh (through dozens of other cartridge setups, sibilance had always been a non-issue). Now with more hours, and some additional VTA adjustments, that's settled down too. It seems to really like the VPI Fatboy 12" Uni w/ dual pivot mod.

Anyways, it's really been turning around and starting to sound glorious. All 3 VdH's (also: Frog Gold and Crimson XGW Stradivarius) have been no better than mediocre at the start - and Colibri was the worst of all. Every time, I started out thinking "there must be something wrong with this one", but fortunately stuck with it long enough to see the payoff. I've not experienced such an extreme need for run-in with other brand cartridges. Other cartridges I want to try next:
* Colibri Master Signature or Grand Cru (obviously)
* Air Tight PC-1
* Dynavector XX-2 Mk 2 / XV-1s / Te Kaitora Rua
* Hana Umami (either color)
* Grado (Master 3 or above)
* Vintage super-low output Ortofons - they are super hard to amplify but I have a plan
* Ortofon SPUs
* SoundSmith
* Lyra
* AT (higher end MCs)
DSC_2286(2).jpg DSC_2278(2).JPG

It just sucks I can't really clean those exposed coils without risking damage :(

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Gorgeous! That combination is easily one of my favorites, aesthetically (haven't heard it yet). Makes it look higher end than its position in the line.

I added Van den Huls to my collection late last year - really like them. Have a Colibri just like yours too. For me, it was a NIGHTMARE at first. Went through a phase where the body would suddenly start "shaking" and jump out of the groove. Tried many arms, and different VTFs. This Colibri has "for VPI 10.5i / Classic 3 arm" right on its box, and I even put it on THAT VERY ARM to no avail. In the end, I had to let it sit in the groove at rest overnight several times before its suspension mellowed out and started tracking again. Then it was at least staying in the groove, but went through a new phase of being a sibilant mess, ugh (through dozens of other cartridge setups, sibilance had always been a non-issue). Now with more hours, and some additional VTA adjustments, that's settled down too. It seems to really like the VPI Fatboy 12" Uni w/ dual pivot mod.

Anyways, it's really been turning around and starting to sound glorious. All 3 VdH's (also: Frog Gold and Crimson XGW Stradivarius) have been no better than mediocre at the start - and Colibri was the worst of all. Every time, I started out thinking "there must be something wrong with this one", but fortunately stuck with it long enough to see the payoff. I've not experienced such an extreme need for run-in with other brand cartridges. Other cartridges I want to try next:
* Air Tight PC-1
* Vintage super-low output Ortofons - they are super hard to amplify but I have a plan
* Ortofon SPUs
* SoundSmith
* Lyra
* AT (higher end MCs)
View attachment 123677 View attachment 123678

It just sucks I can't really clean those exposed coils without risking damage :(
Yes, i am really careful when cleaning the diamond, and happy i don't have a wife at the moment ! :p

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... In the end, I had to let it sit in the groove at rest overnight several times before its suspension mellowed out and started tracking again.
Interesting technique. Did you think of this or is it a 'VdH thing'?
Other cartridges I want to try next:
* Air Tight PC-1
* Ortofon SPUs
* SoundSmith
* Lyra
* AT (higher end MCs)
You have your work cut out for you hehe.

Reactions: mulveling

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
Interesting technique. Did you think of this or is it a 'VdH thing'?

You have your work cut out for you hehe.
Not a VdH thing, as far as I'm aware. I'd read of other audiophiles doing this, though it's been a while since I've seen mention of it. Seemed like a good idea to me. It might not be as effective as real groove runtime, but it certainly does something, and I'm hesitant to just leave it spinning in an end groove. Besides that "pop" whacking the stylus (asymetrically!) every 2 seconds, the end groove run allows dust and detritus to accumulate in there over time, without the cleaning interventions you'd normally do (once per side). Also, god forbid it jumps out of that groove somehow during the night, and spends hours either eating label or banging against the center weight. By just "resting" on a groove, the suspension sees most of the usual runtime load (static VTF dominates drag forces and groove modulations), with no risk.

I've thought about getting the Cardas burn-in disc, but fear it might have similar issues as the end-groove run?

Last edited:

Lynnot

Dec 30, 2022
Tremonia

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Vintage super-low output Ortofons - they are super hard to amplify but I have a plan
I heard Ortofon MC 2000, MC 3000, MC 5000 and 75th Anniversary model on my setup. I didn’t have a nice SUT back then but none of them sounded impressive. 75th Anniversary model was slightly better than the others though. Tonearm was SME V.

BTW photos you shared are gorgeous.

Reactions: mulveling

theophile

680/ 681, 780/ 781 and 785 are moving iron, 880/ 881, 885, 890/ 891, 980/ 981 and CS-100 are moving magnet.
Yes. I checked also.

I stand corrected. My error.

Reactions: Lynnot

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have the following cartridges, could be too much

Goldfinger statement MC 025
VDH Grand Cru
Opus 1
ZYX Astro 1 ohm
Kondo IOXP
Koetsu Coralstone Diamond
Lyra Atlas Lambda SL
It is never too much ! :)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Reactions: Another Johnson

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Just swapped my beloved Miyajima Laboratory Kunsui cartridge with new Madake cartridge.

20240312_181935.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing