What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Lynnot

Dec 30, 2022
Tremonia
Momentarily I seem to be in an Ortofon mood, using a new old stock "SPU GT", an Ortofon rebuilt "SPU Reference GM" and a "MC Windfeld".

PXL_20231031_123540307~2.jpg

Last edited:

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
Still squeaking by with a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum here. I am very pleased with it!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
What's the Aidas like?
i bought it after hearing it a couple of times with J.sikora turntable and arms.
It was very emotional and musical oriented but fast and resulative to go with.
they're not cheap compared to top tier "names" but they know what the #$% they're doing. i got one of their gold series limited editions and it plays superbly!
especially on the current input in the CH Precision P1 phono (it has 3ohm inner )

cheers.

Reactions: bazelio

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I have three.
IMG_4586.jpeg
For 78/shellac an AT-VM95SP strapped for mono on an Ortofon LH-2000.
IMG_3905.jpeg
MM daily is an AT VM540ML in a RigB body, mounted on an AT-LH13H.
7AF33861-7539-4EF7-9699-A42F9D16380E.jpeg
My bestie is an AT33PTG/II on a Korf HS-A02.

I have on order an AT VM610MONO for microgroove mono LPs. An AT-LH13/OCC is waiting for it.

Audio-Technica is value for money (e.g. Ortofon is twice the price for equivalent performance). I like precision, rigidity and stability so stiffness not damping.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Audio-Technica is value for money
I agree. During my last visit to Japan I noticed almost all Japanese cartridges were priced half of the international retail but not Audio Technica. It was the same. I used to buy OC9 ML/II for 349USD in 2008. I couldn’t think any other brand offering boron cantilever and microline stylus for that price range. Prices raised since 2008 but I think the situation is still the same.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I agree. During my last visit to Japan I noticed almost all Japanese cartridges were priced half of the international retail but not Audio Technica. It was the same. I used to buy OC9 ML/II for 349USD in 2008. I couldn’t think any other brand offering boron cantilever and microline stylus for that price range. Prices raised since 2008 but I think the situation is still the same.
I just scored an AT24, which I think is the same as the Signet TK10ml, or close. What an incredible cartridge for a price that's 1/10th of a few MCs that I have. I am a huge fan of whatever the special sauce they use to provide such incredible value, both historically and in their current line (an AT VM95e in a Stanley body is a killer bargain!!).

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Stanley is interesting. Another aftermarket body for The VM95 generator is the RigB9, with a different philosophy: Rather than exploring different sonorities like Stanley does with the different woods RigB is all about rigidity with CNC machined and surface treated Al alloy (cannot remember which one, I guess it’s one of the harder).
I have a RigB5 body on my VM540ML.

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
Talking of Stanley Engineering…
I’m using one of their snakewood SPU N series spacers on my Royal at the moment. Comparing the Royal N with Ortofon’s spacer on a Korf headshell to the SPU Century I find the Century gives more of the musical interplay while the Royal has more scale and dynamics. Substituting the Stanley spacer brings them closer but I’ll need to revert to the Ortofon spacer before reaching a final conclusion. Only thing is I’m enjoying the music too much to want to mess with it at the moment.
Though they have similar slopes front to back of around 0.3mm, there is about 0.05mm difference in the thickness across the width of the Stanley spacer where the Ortofon is level, not so much that I can tell on an azimuth gauge and azimuth adjustment on the Korf is its weakest point so I’m leaving that alone.

Is anyone using a Stanley body on their Decca? I’m eying them up for my mono maroon but wonder about their impact on future rebuilds. IMG_1108.jpeg

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
Addendum:
IMG_4617.jpeg
Bought another AT, the VM510CB, strapped it for mono and put it in an AT-LH13H headshell.
I’ll buy an LP for the price difference to the factory strapped VM610MONO, and the true horizontal coil AT33MONO, well, I didn’t want the expense.

Lynnot

Dec 30, 2022
Tremonia
I just scored an AT24, which I think is the same as the Signet TK10ml, or close. What an incredible cartridge for a price that's 1/10th of a few MCs that I have. I am a huge fan of whatever the special sauce they use to provide such incredible value, both historically and in their current line (an AT VM95e in a Stanley body is a killer bargain!!).
a24.jpg

Approx. 40 year old Audio Technica AT-24 with belonging AT-MG 9 headshell, a perfect match.
A recent needle inspection showed light use only so far (less than 25% wear).

Best regards, Tony

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The Audio Technica Art 1, unfortunately, does not have such a musical, full-bodied sound as the large AT MM cartridges 150/180cc. more analytical sounding superb details. Audio Technica Art-1.jpg

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I just learned that now is not the first time that Audio-Technica have made visually matched cartridges and headshells.
IMG_4638.jpeg
Promo photo: OC9 series cart and H series shell.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I’ve gravitated to Lyra on my LP12s. I am running an Etna Lambda on the Klimax version, and a Kleos on the mid spec version.

I have not used MM cartridges in my “more than casual” systems for quite a while, but recently, in my restoration of a Clearaudio Master Reference with Universal 12, I acquired a Clearaudio Charisma V2.1. It was likable from the first note … but after over 100 hours, it is more than likable. It provides a good contrast with the Etna Lambda, and cost less than a fourth as much. Great for my project budget, and fun boot!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing