What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ve been fiddling a lot with carts lately and have managed to juggle around so I can play my Kiseki Blue longbody(Aidas retipped), my Supex SD900MKIV (now with Aidas) and most recently my Rowland Complement(R version of Ikeda 9c cantileverless), all in my Ikeda IT-407 silver....the Supex and the Kiseki in original Ikeda headshells and the Rowland in a Yamamoto headshell
thus all I need to do is adjust VTA with B-60 VTA base and VTF with dynamic wheel without having to move main counterweight...thay all fit great with my wonderful Parmeko 1:40 oilcan SUT

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
IMG_3531.jpeg
Just back from SoundSmith. Rebuilt with the new MR stylus option (So no longer an OCL). Sharing the TT my Miyajima Zero on the second arm.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

thekong

May 10, 2012
I´ve been fiddling a lot with carts lately and have managed to juggle around so I can play my Kiseki Blue longbody(Aidas retipped), my Supex SD900MKIV (now with Aidas) and most recently my Rowland Complement(R version of Ikeda 9c cantileverless), all in my Ikeda IT-407 silver....the Supex and the Kiseki in original Ikeda headshells and the Rowland in a Yamamoto headshell
thus all I need to do is adjust VTA with B-60 VTA base and VTF with dynamic wheel without having to move main counterweight...thay all fit great with my wonderful Parmeko 1:40 oilcan SUT

Hi Lief, have your Rowland Complement been retipped? I also have one, which probably needs to be retipped soon. I am not sure whether Ikeda would still do the retip, or if other third parties could retip this special cartridge?

Thanks

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
hi
Yes first it was retipped by Van den Hul a few years ago, but didn´t like that...too analytical
then I had Darius Valiunas in Lithuania retip it with a conical tip, and now it´s better than ever
However I don´t think he has the time any longer due to the crazy demand for his fieldcoils
He has an Ikeda 9c himself which he hasn´t time for either.
He says it takes really long time to retip and align due to the complex suspension and motor assy
Maybe Aidas in Lithuania will do it, but doubt it
or maybe Gyger in Switzerland....

Reactions: thekong

thekong

May 10, 2012
hi
Yes first it was retipped by Van den Hul a few years ago, but didn´t like that...too analytical
then I had Darius Valiunas in Lithuania retip it with a conical tip, and now it´s better than ever
However I don´t think he has the time any longer due to the crazy demand for his fieldcoils
He has an Ikeda 9c himself which he hasn´t time for either.
He says it takes really long time to retip and align due to the complex suspension and motor assy
Maybe Aidas in Lithuania will do it, but doubt it
or maybe Gyger in Switzerland....

Thanks Lief !

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Benz LP-S
Benz Gullwing SLR
Benz Wood SL (yes I like Benz carts! :D)
Ortofon A95
Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Soundsmith Paua MkII ES
Denon 103R in aluminum body
Miyajima Premium Be mono
Ortofon Quintet mono
A couple of others…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
hi
The one I heard in Feb 2020, was retipped by Vdh or Darius?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I suddenly got uncertain......D said I retipped about 2 years ago, but wasn´t sure either.... :rolleyes:

can’t help you there. Post feb 2020 if you forget things you can always check my notes

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Hi Lief, have your Rowland Complement been retipped? I also have one, which probably needs to be retipped soon. I am not sure whether Ikeda would still do the retip, or if other third parties could retip this special cartridge?

Thanks
In Europe there are some very good alternatives for the repair and breathing of cartridges such as ana mighty sound and in Italy there is http://www.cartridgelab.it which is very good and competent and has practically all the cantilevers produced and available all the pins, the only problem is that you have to wait 3/4 months to get your loved one back.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
In Europe there are some very good alternatives for the repair and breathing of cartridges such as ana mighty sound and in Italy there is http://www.cartridgelab.it which is very good and competent and has practically all the cantilevers produced and available all the pins, the only problem is that you have to wait 3/4 months to get your loved one back.
Techneaudio does great too, last time i get my cartride back in three weeks. Boron cantilever and microridge stylus. Custom wish diamond cantilever too. Ask there

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Still less time than Soundsmith here in the U.S. ;)

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I use an Allaerts MC-1b on a Schroeder Reference, and that combo has not waivered as my top dawg for many years…but on my daily driver TD-124 i usually play with any number of MM carts: Grace F9e, Micro-Acoustics 3002, B&O mmc-2, Stantons snd Pickerings. But i recently popped an AudioQuest AQ 404 with the sapphire tube cantiler on the SME 3009 S2, and I’m completely blown away. It isn’t quite at the level of the Supex 900 super i stupidly sold a year ago, or a Monster Sigma Genesis 2000 that I’m really fond of, but it only cost me $275, and i could live with it happily for years.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I'm using one of these right now....

Reactions: Mendel and Lynnot

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Ok I just noticed the pic I posted above......I did not do that on purpose, meaning the design of the clamp and the head shell screws......LOL. Although that diamond cut pattern on both does look very cool together.
I actually do not use the clamp, I found it did not do a good job TBH. The head shell screws are not going anywhere, I do like how they work as well the additional mass it adds.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing