What are you using for Cables?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I used to enjoy his cartoons as well and thank for the link, too bad that they are out of print.

Cables that I use are as follows.

Power chords.
Nordost Brahma, Audience , Synergistics research, Aural Symphonics Magic Gem v2t, TEL WIRE HC cord ( greatest value IMHO )

Interconnects
Nordost Valhalla from pre to both darTZeel and Topaz amps, Studers, Audio Research CD-7.5, Aesthetix IO all hooked up to pre.
Cardas Golden Cross used from Transporter to pre.

Speaker cables
Nordost Valhalla to the Maxx II, and also for the TOTEM THE ONE

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20080618

[/QUOTE]
Thunderous applause!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

JorgeLopez11

Nov 30, 2010
Mexico City
Hi everyone.

I think there´s no point in spending a lot of money in cables, particularly for loudpeakers. Construction quality is important though.

Considering construction quality, my current setup uses Groneberg Quattro Reference for 1 meter interconnects. Groneberg manufactures robust cables with WBT connectors. I use Audioquest Rocket 44 for my loudspeakers. The total length is equal to 3 m.

I chose them because they're good cables and they're available everywhere here in Mexico. Brand name is something that doesn't matter to me. :rolleyes:

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
@ Jorge... Mucho gusto.

Be sure to try out the WBT 0705 ag "nextgen" connectors. They were a revelation, even compared to the already good WBT 0763. Definitely a cost-effective upgrade that will benefit most cables considerably, especially those with silver lugs on them.

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
ProCo quad shield mic cable because it's the best sounding cable with Atma-Sphere gear that I have tried. Very neutral and honest. It doesn't change the flavor of the dish leaving it simply delicious.
Vovox unshielded mic cable because sometimes digital needs a little flavoring.
Purist Dominus Phono because it's dead quiet.
Purist Canorus speaker (see above) and the speakers are wired with Purist too so I thought I would stick with it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm intrigued. I use all Purist Museas XLRs in my HT.

What speakers are internally wired with PAD cables?

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
None commercially, but I had mine made and put Purist wire in them. They are Soundlabs.

JorgeLopez11

Nov 30, 2010
Mexico City
Nicholas Bedworth said:
@ Jorge... Mucho gusto.

Be sure to try out the WBT 0705 ag "nextgen" connectors. They were a revelation, even compared to the already good WBT 0763. Definitely a cost-effective upgrade that will benefit most cables considerably, especially those with silver lugs on them.

Hi Nicholas. I haven´t tried those WBTs but you're not the first one to mention they're great. Thanks for the recommendation!

Idiocratease

Jan 19, 2011
UK
I used wire world supernova 6 for digital. Speakers, kimber 8TC. Silver plated banana's. For the analogue IC's I have tried Qed silver spirals, which are smooth but mask a lot of detail. I have tried the carbon van den hul, and find them also too smooth. I've tried making Ag litz cables and had variable results. I ended up with quite a nice set of 0.55 or 0.6 mm diameter Ag wires from home grown audio, terminated with audio note RCA's. I have been pleased with these, and decided to upgrade to home grown audio silver lace, terminated with Eichmann silver bullets.

Big mistake. These are way too bright. Just distortion of the sound. You think you getting detail, but soon realise the base as gone and there loads of grit and sibilance. These were returned for refund, but left be thinking about some copper... Basically because i have been reading the copper vs. silver debate.

So I decided after some scouting about to give the Audio Note Lexus cables a try. Well, I suppose Peter Q. would say the Ag version is better, but pricing is way way outside my budget. I can however report, that these interconnects are better than anything I have tried by a long way....

Some people say that there are no differences in cables... This is wrong.... Others say you justify the improvement after spending a bunch of money... Well, after you've spent some hundreds of pounds, I suppose you do look for the improvement, but this did not stop me from returning the Silver Lace interconnects.

I recommend Audio Note AN-CABLE 1150 LEXUS, Copper version of the SOGON interconnect.

hifidelity1

Jan 19, 2011
I use Kimber's Iluminations D60 for digtal, Morrow Audio's SP3 biwire for main speakers, also his MA3 xlr for preamp to amp and a set of his MA1 for surrond hook up. Audioquest Columbia for analog outs for sacd, Kingcobra makes up the rest for multi channel, execpt for the Monster Mseries for the sub . AQ's CV6 for center channel speaker and Audio Researh flat wire for surround speakers. For my power delivery 10 awg Romex on a 20 amp line and also a 12 awg 20 amp line. Power cables are PS audio's perfectwave AC10 for the Quintet line conditioner, (4) AC3's for all but the @ channel amp which uses an AC12 fed via the 10awg line with the Soloist Premier Se in wall conditioner!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Interconnects: Cardas Golden Reference and Neutral Reference, Kimber Hero, Tara Labs RSC Air
Phono Cable: Zu Mission
Digital Cable: Black Cat Veloce, Kimber DV-30
Speaker Cable: Cardas Golden Reference, Kimber 8TC
Power Cords: Cardas Golden Reference, Gutwire B16, Shunyata Diamondback

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
IC's : Bis Audio Expression
Speaker Cable : Bis Audio Type 3 biwire
For me they sound good and they are made here in Montreal, Qc (Canada)
ps: I just buy a power cord AC20 and an AC IFW from Bis Audio plus a BIS power bar.

www.bisaudio.com/

Last edited:

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I believe a solid system foundation (power conditioning, synergistic cabling, resonance control) is required to optimize audio equipment playback. My synergistic cabling consists of: Nordost Valhalla (Cary 306->Lindemann 830S); Nordost Frey XLR (Lindemann 830S->Lindemann 855); Nordost Frey (Lindemann 855->Raidho Ayra C3.0); Brahma PC's.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Absolutely correct in my opinion. Without clean power and interconnect, even (or perhaps especially) very good gear will never sound that well. The Audience aR12-TS seems to be working wonders in my system, given dubious power from the complicated generation and grid we have here on Maui.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I used various brands of speaker wires, interconnects (Analog & Digital) in my setups.
I'm big on KimberKable.

* I also like Canare Cable for their value. ...And WBT connector RCA plugs and speaker wire terminations from Blue Jeans Cable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing