What are the most unforgettable roads you have driven on?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Some of you know me well enough by this point to know that I could wax on (poetry questionable) about a few roads. Some of those posted already are splendid, although I haven't driven all of them. I've spent quite a bit of gas on the PCH 1 between Carmel and Moro Bay and agree that from Big Sur, going south, you can have some spectacular vistas. Unfortunately, as the guy behind the wheel, I'm a little preoccupied. But, here are a couple stories:
My dear (and recently departed) friend had just lost his girl friend from a death that was as unfortunate as the one he suffered a few years later. He was pretty depressed. I had shipped one of those little red italian cars from NY to LA for the express purpose of driving back and forth on PCH 1 for days in the off season. I convinced him to join me. We had a ball, stayed at the Post Ranch (highest recommendation) and just spent the days driving and the nights star-watching, eating (and he plundered their wine and liquor). On one jaunt, we got behind a stoner in a VW microbus with pyschodelic colors and a surf board- i am not kidding- and the guy just wouldn't get over in one of the lay-bys; there are few safe places to pass. We finally did managed to get around him. When we got back to LA a few nights later, we pulled into the 4 Seasons, the car was filthy and we looked pretty rough. I noticed my friend's handprints firmly etched into the road grit on the roof of the car- he had clung on for dear life on a few of those twisties.
Other roads- coming out of Palermo, heading up to Mt. Pelligrino in the driving rain, fog, at each curve, the italians wisely cobbled the road bed. Do you know what a lousy english roadster with a rigid rear end does on a curve like that? At the top, we were shrouded in clouds. You couldn't see anything.
Mt. Etna in Siciliy was similar, except the smoke was apparently from an active fissure in the volcano. We were told- nothing to worry about- if it really erupted, we'd have plenty of time to make a run to the bottom and beat the lava. The pictures on the wall of the commissary didn't reassure me, though, nor did the video that played on an endless loop while we were drinking our espresso-
One last road, not far from me- there is a cut-off up near Bear Mountain that takes you through the back '40' of West Point- it's basically empty military training fields, with a clear line of sight for miles. Some people have been known to try high speed runs on that stretch, but what interests me is beyond that. Right after the back gate to West Point is a seasonal road that is gated and shut down during the winter. When it is open, it clings the cliff, cuts through a stone tunnel, snakes along the edge of the Hudson and has a look out point over Bannerman's Island, a famous old armory out on an island, built to look like a castle, and now largely in ruins. (It blew up from stored ammo years ago). The road then plummets into a forest and you come up in a small town, Cornwall, that time forgot.
The Grand Corniche coming down into Monaco can be a little scary, particularly if you are not in a little red car from Italy.
Roads on my list: the Dragon's Tail, and of course, the 'Ring in Germany.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I always enjoy the drive between Alberta - British Columbia through Banff/Canadian Rockies/Jasper. Scenic with lot's of twists and turns, about 1,000 kms long.

drive-4.jpg

here's a video on facebook recorded by my brother-in-law while following me on the way back to Calgary from Jasper

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm a sucker for deserts. Did some driving in the Sahara and Sinai desert, but the most stunningly beautiful was driving through the sossusvlei in Namibia - obvioulsy no paved roads - stictly 4x4 offroad. Other highlights include cutting through Bolivia on the back of a truck, navigating traffic in Thailand on a rented motorcycle, and enless trips along the various mediterrenean coastlines of Europe (France, Spain, Italy). The most culturally rewarding driving was through Cuba, picking up hitchhikers and getting a first hand accounts about life in Cuba.

Namibia_01.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
ive done hana on Maui, i kept going where it turns to a gravel rd and your rental car's insurance coverage ceases. i used to do california hwy 1 going north every August for the monterey historic races and pebble concours, imo its the most scenic Rd in NA.

The most awesome rd i tavelled was to las yungas in Bolivia just outside of la paz "aka Death Road" (pic attached). we chewd coca to stave off alititude sickness (>10,000 FT) it was a most interesting trip in more ways than one! its in the top three of most dangerous roads in the world. ive also witnessed some awesome flora and fauna drivng thru costa rica, New Zealand and Austria.

Drove this road using public transportation. Old bus, chicken, kids crawling, stoic Indians. Pretty scary from what I recall.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I just drove drove Nanaimo to Ucluelet in Vancouver Island... the drive between Port Alberni to Ucluelet is unforgettable. I was wondering why google map says four hours for a 250 km drive and now I know. Some parts of the road are really twisty and narrow with 18% drops. Speed limit drops from 80 kph to 30 kph then you see road narrowing sign while driving on a single lane (each way) highway. Driving on speed limit is fun, above requires skill and will. I won't post how fast I went.. but the PASM on my Cayenne GTS was put to good use today.

We drove back to Canada from Yakima the other night, in darkness and pouring rain between Tukwila and the Us/Cdn border.. road was boring but the rain and the big trailer trucks made it challenging.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I always enjoy the drive between Alberta - British Columbia through Banff/Canadian Rockies/Jasper. Scenic with lot's of twists and turns, about 1,000 kms long.

View attachment 6660

here's a video on facebook recorded by my brother-in-law while following me on the way back to Calgary from Jasper

I just drove drove Nanaimo to Ucluelet in Vancouver Island... the drive between Port Alberni to Ucluelet is unforgettable. I was wondering why google map says four hours for a 250 km drive and now I know. Some parts of the road are really twisty and narrow with 18% drops. Speed limit drops from 80 kph to 30 kph then you see road narrowing sign while driving on a single lane (each way) highway. Driving on speed limit is fun, above requires skill and will. I won't post how fast I went.. but the PASM on my Cayenne GTS was put to good use today.

We drove back to Canada from Yakima the other night, in darkness and pouring rain between Tukwila and the Us/Cdn border.. road was boring but the rain and the big trailer trucks made it challenging.

All very well known roads to me; I drove them quite often. ...Plus Vancouver to Wistler, Pemberton. And the Malahat highway near Victoria, which I used to drive almost on a daily basis (convertible sports car and all).
Also the Kootenays have some fantastic roads, going to Nelson and all around.

* But the best roads I've ever been on (drove) are some of the logging roads. ...Up high in the mountains; from all over British Columbia.
You want to talk about the best magical and dangerous experiences ever about driving; that is it! ...Just too many roads to enumerate (almost thirty years of doing that because of my job) and all that beautiful jazz.

No bullshit!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...Gaspe Park, in Quebec; gorgeous road. And the Rock at Perce. ...Where some of my family live; the Appalachians mountains.
...The entire east side of the St-Laurent river.

...Mexico; up in the mountains where the Indians live (Oaxaca,), Panajachel, Guadalajara (in the mountains), and almost everywhere else in the entire Mexican territory, in Guatemala, San Salvador, the entire East and West coast of the entire North America (USA/Canada); but there were several boring parts. ...Colorado, up high was real nice.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
The Dragon in NC, 118 curves in 11 miles

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The old road from the Okanagan valley to Hope, in B.C., Canada.

The road from Penticton to Naramata to Paradise Ranch to Indian Rock and to Chute Lake and to Kelowna and to Vernon and to Edgewood.

P.S. Looking back at this thread; Rob and Keith have experienced some beautiful scenery, among everybody else.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Comin down Pike's Peak through clouds forming off the mountain. One needed a brave soul to scout ahead, on foot, as visibility was about 6' in front of the car, at best.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Thick fog (or driving in the clouds with no visibility whatsoever).

1. You need fog lights, and to be extremely alert, and driving very slow.
2. Don't ever trust the one in front of you; that's how major accidents happen.
3. No fun, extremely hazardous.
4. Much preferable to arrive five hours late than dead way down the ravine.

* How you doin' Ron? :b

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Thick fog (or driving in the clouds with no visibility whatsoever).

* How you doin' Ron? :b
Just fine, Bob. Enjoying the fine weather recently, since that damn humidity has finally broken.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Interesting coincidence Ron; for the last three days here on the Island the humidity index is higher than usual, including today (yesterday was the highest).
...Not a single drop of rain for the entire month of July. ...And August did not see much at all; maybe one quick drop or two that's all.
I've been on the Island for many many years, and to see no rain like this for such a long period of time is a new broken record in many many years.

* Always nice reading you. :b

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Taconic and Bronx River Parkway. You take your life in your hands driving on them in inclement weather :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Taconic and Bronx River Parkway. You take your life in your hands driving on them in inclement weather :)

Come on up and give our #401 a shot. It's a nightmare on the best of days!

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Some folks get up early and go to the gym. I drive. Pretty much every other day. I leave right before dawn - nice to watch the sun rise from behind the wheel - and go wherever the mood takes me. We live near Lake Ontario. There's a road running along the lake, complete with decreasing radius sweepers, relatively drastic elevation changes, blah, blah, blah that can stand the hair on the back of my neck on edge. There were times when I had to pull over and take a breath...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Some folks get up early and go to the gym. I drive. Pretty much every other day. I leave right before dawn - nice to watch the sun rise from behind the wheel - and go wherever the mood takes me. We live near Lake Ontario. There's a road running along the lake, complete with decreasing radius sweepers, relatively drastic elevation changes, blah, blah, blah that can stand the hair on the back of my neck on edge. There were times when I had to pull over and take a breath...

I live about 2 miles from Lake Ontario and although the drive in my little town isn't scenic such as you described, I should take a video of the properties there. I don't think there is anything under $5 MIL on Lakeshore Road in Oakville.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
The Atlanta loop. You haven't lived until you've been around it at 145 MPH. :D

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
The Atlanta loop. You haven't lived until you've been around it at 145 MPH. :D

Win,

You haven't lived until someone in front of you goes from the outside lane to the exit at 145MPH. Had that happen to me in both Atlanta and Houston.

Most unforgettable road was in Tuscany where we stopped at small stands/trattoria's every half hour or so for food and drink. Didn't do much for the driving but had a great time.

Best driving road divided into 2 categories:

1. Speed: LA to Vegas in a little less than 3 hours at night. Lotus Elise. Passenger.
2. Fun: Tail of the Dragon in NC. 1968 Porsche 911. Driver (not my car, I wish!!)

Beau

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing