What are the most unforgettable roads you have driven on?

caesar

May 30, 2010
For me, Highway 1 in Ca between Big Sur and Carmel and the Road to Hana in Hawaii.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oy! Road to Hana. Unforgettable in a bad way! LOVED H1.

Laguna to Real, Quezon, Philippines. Winding asphalt roads through the forests of the Sierra Madre range ending at the Pacific Ocean (our eastern seaboard). Park at any of the tourist beach huts and order fresh seafood.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
The Veracruz coast, ecotourism road passing rivers, cascades, beaches, arqueological sites, nuclear plants--great food, art, handcrafts, also the Sierra Gorda at Queretearo (both in Mexico)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
For me, Highway 1 in CA between Big Sur and Carmel and the Road to Hana in Hawaii.

ive done hana on Maui, i kept going where it turns to a gravel rd and your rental car's insurance coverage ceases. i used to do california hwy 1 going north every August for the monterey historic races and pebble concours, imo its the most scenic Rd in NA.

The most awesome rd i tavelled was to las yungas in Bolivia just outside of la paz "aka Death Road" (pic attached). we chewd coca to stave off alititude sickness (>10,000 FT) it was a most interesting trip in more ways than one! its in the top three of most dangerous roads in the world. ive also witnessed some awesome flora and fauna drivng thru costa rica, New Zealand and Austria.

Attachments

• 168_valle-de-las-yungas.jpg
    168_valle-de-las-yungas.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 354

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
For me, Highway 1 in Ca between Big Sur and Carmel and the Road to Hana in Hawaii.
I have done both. Big Sur was it for me too. It was an amazing day and it had patches of fog that made it unreal. I went back a second time and it was not as good but still, amazing.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
ive done hana on Maui, i kept going where it turns to a gravel rd and your rental car's insurance coverage ceases. i used to do california hwy 1 going north every August for the monterey historic races and pebble concours, imo its the most scenic Rd in NA.

The most awesome rd i tavelled was to las yungas in Bolivia just outside of la paz "aka Death Road" (pic attached). we chewd coca to stave off alititude sickness (>10,000 FT) it was a most interesting trip in more ways than one! its in the top three of most dangerous roads in the world. ive also witnessed some awesome flora and fauna drivng thru costa rica, New Zealand and Austria.

If this were a contest, I think we'd have a winner.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
In 2006, wife and I moved from Perth to Melbourne. We sent most of our belongings by truck, but we packed our car and decided to do the 4000km trip on the road. We hugged the coast and saw some beautiful sights.

This is the town of Esperance, in Western Australia.

A wind farm in Esperance.

Some of the scenery was quite amazing - this is a dried out river bed.

The Great Australian Bight, on the South Australian side of the Nullarbor.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Rob - just seen the TopGear episode of that route with my son last night, pretty scary but great scenes!

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
No pics, but the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, Canada is must-drive for enthusiasts.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Rob - just seen the TopGear episode of that route with my son last night, pretty scary but great scenes!

years later i saw clouzot's "the wages of fear" and Friedkin's remake "Sorcerer" and it took me right back to death road. some of those passes are heart stoping to say the least.

Speaking of Mexico, ive driven baja's hwy 1 from the border all the way so. to the cape. i've done it a half dozens times on fishing adventures inside the gulf to loreto then south to punto colorada and finally cabo san lucas - a spectacular drive.

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Going to the Sun highway in Glacier National Park (Montana); Hwy 1 from Miami to Key West on a clear day; strong concurrence on Hwy 1 Carmel through Big Sur, as well as north of San Francisco to Mendocino

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
- Icefield Parkway (Jasper to Banff Canada)
- +1 on Glacier. Do it early in the morning when traffic is light (there is ALWAYS construction due to wash-outs).
- US Rt. 50 through Nevada, aka the "Loneliest road in America"

For bad memories:
- The entire Boston road system
- Pennsylvania roads
- I-10 through Texas

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

If this were a contest, I think we'd have a winner.

+1 I get dizzy just looking at this picture .. Man I have seen some other pictures of this "road" Downright Scary is the world ... I could never drive on this ...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
duez_aeri.jpg The Road to Nowhere. Alp duez

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
years later i saw clouzot's "the wages of fear" and Friedkin's remake "Sorcerer" and it took me right back to death road. some of those passes are heart stoping to say the least.

Speaking of Mexico, ive driven baja's hwy 1 from the border all the way so. to the cape. i've done it a half dozens times on fishing adventures inside the gulf to loreto then south to punto colorada and finally cabo san lucas - a spectacular drive.
Wages of Fear is a brilliant movie. The roads I love I'll post separately.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing