What are the most unforgettable roads you have driven on?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Win,

You haven't lived until someone in front of you goes from the outside lane to the exit at 145MPH.

Beau

It wasn't me. I swear! ;)

Then, there is US I-65 South, the American Autobahn. Speeds can be very intense at times with average speeds over 100 MPH, but often littered with slow pokes in the left lane. Imagine the Bronx River Parkway on cocaine, and you have the picture. In fact, it is so bad that the Feds once threatened to pull Alabama's highway funding, if it wasn't straightened out. Fortunately, for the adventurous, it wasn't.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've driven logging roads in Alberta (Canada) on rainy (torrential) days and nights.
If you did not keep on the centered tracks in all that wet mud (which you couldn't really see but only faintly guess), you were out of luck and stuck in the ditch!
But not stuck regular, stuck in the mud at doors' handles height! ...Not a car, but a big 4x4 truck!

The only way to get out of there is from a larger truck (highway wide) with amphibian wheels that are six feet high and four feet wide (or even more in some of them)!
No other truck with chains, or winches can get you out of there. Once you're in that ditch, your only escape is those huge special trucks they use over there in conditions like those (rain and mud).

I've been stuck there! And from around 1:00 PM in the afternoon, my truck (and all the other trucks of my convoy) was engulfed in the mud up to the top of the doors!
I worked all night long with that special huge truck to get all the trucks out of the ditch. It was like a war zone, and I looked like (well, you can see ...) one of these soldiers who've been through hell and right back at it! ...Not until 6:00 AM in the morning that I could get back to my room (hotel) and have a long shower.

Yeah, that road (logging road) in northern Alberta, on that particular day and night; I will always remember.
(If you google some I'm sure you can find out about those huge amphibian type trucks that they used over there for special missions and all.}

Till the next one ....

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
One road comes to mind. While there are some really great "race" roads along with more scenic roads such as the Great Blue Ridge Parkway, one road sticks out in my mind as my most memorable. Don't know why I was up there and I don't know where I was going to or coming from [just a kid at the time] but I do remember the state. Ohio.

From memory, the highway was a concrete two lane each side [4 lanes total] with grass in the middle and was pretty much just a straight shot. No curves and no hills. While there might have been, I do not remember any being present. What I do remember was the "thunk, thunk...thunk, thunk...thunk, thunk...thunk, thunk" the entire way down that road. It seemed as if every concrete slab was tilted slightly and the suspension was in a constant workout. What a MISERABLE drive!!!. We [at the time] were in a nice luxury car and this constant "thump, thump" made our trip THE most memorable road of all time for me.

I have brought this up with friends and family since then and some folks that also remember the road....perhaps some of you will as well. Rumor has it that it has since been fixed but it will remain in my memory as the most memorable road I have ever experienced.

The second runner up would have been in West Virginia going down a dirt road [unforgettable depressing sights mixed with some of the most beautiful scenery and waterfalls] and the third most memorable was crossing the Tacoma Narrows bridge when Mount St. Helens erupted.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing