WBF Member System Visits

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to What's Best Forum's first member system visit video. In this video meet Jim Yager, who just installed PBN Audio's giant M777 loudspeakers, driven by Jadis JA30 amplifiers.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Welcome to What's Best Forum's first member system visit video. In this video meet Jim Yager, who just installed PBN Audio's giant M777 loudspeakers, driven by Jadis JA30 amplifiers.

Very nice, I enjoyed this! And congrats, Jim, on your system!

Republicoftexas69

Congrats, truly a fine system. Thank you for sharin.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Very nice!

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden

What an amazing video of this beautiful audio room. Great overview of the room. Very nice interview of Jim talking about his gear. A big goldstar in the side line for his beautiful Montana turntable. Great job Ron, and again a very beautiful room Jim.
Very best regards from Johan in Sweden !

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
great video Ron, a fun watch.

and congrats to Jim for a fine, well considered system. i enjoyed Jim's explanations of his reasons for, and results of, the changes. much to learn from that. as i recall i heard those speakers at the SoCal audio show a few weeks ago and was impressed.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I agree with the positive comments. Good video Ron. I hope this series expands and we are introduced to more members and their systems. It’s also great to see the personality behind the avatar. How many of these types of videos do you anticipate making? There are quite a few members local to you.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Al, RepublicofTexas, Sampajanna, Johan, Mike, Peter!

How many of these types of videos do you anticipate making? There are quite a few members local to you.

I want to make a lot of visit videos. If a local member would like a visit, please let me know!

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
I loved this video. How cool!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

those pictures at an exhibition clips at the end of the video sound excellent. Wish you could have done more of that

108CY

May 4, 2013
I loved it I am positive this will turn into a very positive fun series I am sure this will also introduce many more to the whats the best community, It certainly takes dedication to anything like this and wish you all success with it. I likes the questiions you asked together with Jims explanations thus showing his dedication to the hobby. Approaches such as this certainly feel very personal and create a warmer mood.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I think it would be really cool if there was just a bit more emphasis on the sound of the system and why it sounds the way it does. For instance, around the 3:30 mark, Ron asks Jim about his optical cartridge and Jim explains what he likes about it and how it sounds different from the other cartridge. This would have been an excellent place to record two short clips from the listening seat of the same music being played by each cartridge. I know, this complicates things and would make the video longer, but it would also supplement what Jim is describing, and I personally would find it fascinating.

I see a real opportunity here to expose readers to gear in a home setting to broaden exposure and introduce them to stuff in a relaxed way. It could be such a good format for combining an owner's thoughts about a specific topic and then supported by actually hearing it.

Reactions: christoph

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
great video Ron, a fun watch.

and congrats to Jim for a fine, well considered system. i enjoyed Jim's explanations of his reasons for, and results of, the changes. much to learn from that. as i recall i heard those speakers at the SoCal audio show a few weeks ago and was impressed.
Great video Ron. Looking forward to many more of them.

Mike, I agree. I went to this room two or three times and it always sounded quite good with these speakers.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think it would be really cool if there was just a bit more emphasis on the sound of the system and why it sounds the way it does. For instance, around the 3:30 mark, Ron asks Jim about his optical cartridge and Jim explains what he likes about it and how it sounds different from the other cartridge. This would have been an excellent place to record two short clips from the listening seat of the same music being played by each cartridge. I know, this complicates things and would make the video longer, but it would also supplement what Jim is describing, and I personally would find it fascinating.

I see a real opportunity here to expose readers to gear in a home setting to broaden exposure and introduce them to stuff in a relaxed way. It could be such a good format for combining an owner's thoughts about a specific topic and then supported by actually hearing it.

I am open to this. In fact, this kind of comparison is why I got that pair of matched professional Earthworks microphones in the first place.

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
What I noticed in this video, in common with most all videos which try to 'capture' the sound of a system, is that the sound picked up by the microphones is so indistinct and overcome with room ambience/echo that the 'system' might as well be a boom box from what I can hear. The only solution I can suggest is making a recording from a fixed position relatively close to the speakers, possibly using a portable stereo digital recorder. While this still won't capture the true sound of the system, it will at least have a fighting chance of capturing a good idea of what the speakers can do. Otherwise, great video!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I noticed in this video, in common with most all videos which try to 'capture' the sound of a system, is that the sound picked up by the microphones is so indistinct and overcome with room ambience/echo that the 'system' might as well be a boom box from what I can hear. The only solution I can suggest is making a recording from a fixed position relatively close to the speakers, possibly using a portable stereo digital recorder. While this still won't capture the true sound of the system, it will at least have a fighting chance of capturing a good idea of what the speakers can do. Otherwise, great video!
Personally I would prefer Ron have the microphone at the sitting position. Having said that I agree with everything else you posted. It’s just I would like the recording to tell me what I would hear in the sweet spot

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What I noticed in this video, in common with most all videos which try to 'capture' the sound of a system, is that the sound picked up by the microphones is so indistinct and overcome with room ambience/echo that the 'system' might as well be a boom box from what I can hear.

I understand, and I agree. Component zoom-ins and room pans and the like are shots solely for visual purposes. The sound recorded is strictly for fun.

If I wanted to start recording thoughtfully to capture as reasonably accurately as possible the sound of the system, I would position the two Earthworks microphones in the listening position on a mic stand and keep the video camera still.

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
Personally I would prefer Ron have the microphone at the sitting position. Having said that I agree with everything else you posted. It’s just I would like the recording to tell me what I would hear in the sweet spot
The problem with that is that microphones don't hear the same way as humans do, and there would be way more apparent room ambience than a person would hear if in that position. Recording with a stereo dummy head would cure a lot of this but would require people listen through headphones to hear what's going on to best effect. To record with microphones, we need to 'cheat' the perspective in order to make up for that disconnect between what human ears pick up and what microphones 'hear' to have a more honest representation of the original sonic event. My years as a recording engineer has taught me that.

Ampexed

May 2, 2023
I understand, and I agree. Component zoom-ins and room pans and the like are shots solely for visual purposes. The sound recorded is strictly for fun.

If I wanted to start recording thoughtfully to capture as reasonably accurately as possible the sound of the system, I would position the two Earthworks microphones in the listening position on a mic stand and keep the video camera still.
No need to go with high zoot Earthworks microphones - just a good handheld digital recorder placed probably 5' from the speakers would do it. The audio from that recorder could be edited into the soundtrack when the whole video is being edited.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Ron,

I enjoyed the video. Thanks for taking time to put it all together. Much appreciated!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing