bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi any good CD recording recommendation for this? Wagner Ride of Valkyrie

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
http://http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Nibelungen-Cycle-Georg-Solti/dp/B0000042H4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1221378099&sr=8-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just booking for the ring cycle next summer

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Hi, has anyone listened to the recent Solti’s Ring 2022 transfer?
https://www.soltiring.com/

I tried the Golden Ring 24/192 recording from Qobuz and while the quiet passages sound very good, on some of the loud ones I think I’ve heard some clipping or distortion. I then found this thread on the Steve Hoffman forum and post #112 claims that some hard limiter clipping was applied during mastering: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...in-192khz-24-bit.1154893/page-5#post-32349285. Also, other posters said, that the new transfers have rather low Dynamic Range, for example, the DR of the Golden Ring file is 9, which is on the low side.

And what about the 2022 release on vinyl? Is it any good?

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hi, has anyone listened to the recent Solti’s Ring 2022 transfer?
https://www.soltiring.com/

And what about the 2022 release on vinyl? Is it any good?
If you havn’t read this article already you might find it informative .

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
If you havn’t read this article already you might find it informative .

Thank you, I’ve read it, excellent article and very informative, but the author speaks highly of the digital 2022 version which contradicts the findings of people from Steve Hoffman forum.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thank you, I’ve read it, excellent article and very informative, but the author speaks highly of the digital 2022 version which contradicts the findings of people from Steve Hoffman forum.
Of course we must bear in mind that the author is writing a review for a magazine , however , and for my part , as I found his comments referencing the previous generation recordings and sets to be pretty much aligned with my own impressions as I hear them myself perhaps he isn’t too far wide of the mark from the performance perspective of the new re-master ( Caveat alert , I do not own the 2022 myself) , as to the finer technicalities of the re-mastering process I havn’t read any further from an official source to what we have been told already .

Last edited:
Reactions: abeidrov

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I found this post interesting on Hoffman:

"Thank you, for the DR numbers. With the comparable measurements, it is clear that there is slight compression in the 2022 remaster vs the 1997 remaster posted earlier. I think the compression was applied mildly and tastefully. But nowhere near as alarming as another poster claimed it to be.

As regards the new LPs, the sound is slightly louder; however, it is not offensive to my ears. There is still a wide dynamic range. In one case, Side 3 (LP) or Track 11 (CD), there are passages where I had to turn up the volume slightly because there was only Loge backed by soft (dynamic marking: piano) strings playing pizzicato. The LPs benefit from the slight increase in volume because it helps to push down the noise floor caused by the stylus dragging through the groove.

I will definitely purchase the remaining three opera on LP.
Carlos M Nash, Nov 27, 2022"

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I found this post interesting on Hoffman:

"Thank you, for the DR numbers. With the comparable measurements, it is clear that there is slight compression in the 2022 remaster vs the 1997 remaster posted earlier. I think the compression was applied mildly and tastefully. But nowhere near as alarming as another poster claimed it to be.

As regards the new LPs, the sound is slightly louder; however, it is not offensive to my ears. There is still a wide dynamic range. In one case, Side 3 (LP) or Track 11 (CD), there are passages where I had to turn up the volume slightly because there was only Loge backed by soft (dynamic marking: piano) strings playing pizzicato. The LPs benefit from the slight increase in volume because it helps to push down the noise floor caused by the stylus dragging through the groove.

I will definitely purchase the remaining three opera on LP.
Carlos M Nash, Nov 27, 2022"
I’ve seen this post, still the average DR on the compilation disk is 9, which is rather low. Maybe it’s just this disk and other are better. So far, I’ve listened to 2 operas and I do not hear any compression.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I’ve seen this post, still the average DR on the compilation disk is 9, which is rather low. Maybe it’s just this disk and other are better. So far, I’ve listened to 2 operas and I do not hear any compression.
Ah! So you have acquired the latest 2022 remastering? What do you think so far? We have the 2012 mastering, so curious if you prefer the new ones?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Ah! So you have acquired the latest 2022 remastering? What do you think so far? We have the 2012 mastering, so curious if you prefer the new ones?
I’ve just streamed them from Qobuz. Briefly compared to 2012 masters, they (2022 masters) definitely sound louder, brighter, more in the face, maybe more resolving. Whether it’s a good thing or bad, who knows? :cool:

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I’ve just streamed them from Qobuz. Briefly compared to 2012 masters, they definitely sound louder, brighter, more in the face, maybe more resolving. Whether it’s a good thing or bad, who knows? :cool:
Thanks!

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I am still curious if any limiting has been applied to the new masters. And if yes, why Decca would do it in 2022? There must be people with good ears and systems, who already bought the new SACD or vinyl. Please, share your findings!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am still curious if any limiting has been applied to the new masters. And if yes, why Decca would do it in 2022? There must be people with good ears and systems, who already bought the new SACD or vinyl. Please, share your findings!
I have also read from 2 owners of the 2022 Universal Japan remasters (apparently the same vintage/source) that they heard limiting on the 2022 main 'samplers cd' of the 4 operas...but they did NOT hear the same limiting on their own Universal Japan 2022 remasters.

Every once in a while the Japanese version IS different. Have you heard anything to that effect?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone looking for RIng sets in SACD or BD? I am cleaning house.
Hi Kal,

Do you have any views on the Universal Japan 2022 Remasterings of the Wagner Solti Ring Cycle? (related to the Decca 2022...but apparently Japanese release only...which sometimes means different though not always).

Interestingly, I never could get thru the Solti cycle 2012 remastering on the old system...kind of like many, MANY years ago, I found myself listening to more chamber/ensemble than full-scale orchestral because I just did not find the full-scale thing to my liking on the system. And then that changed dramatically, and I went full-on into hundreds of symphonies and never looked back.

Suddenly now with the current system, I decided to try these operas after they were in the drawer for years...and have literally been going thru the entire Ring cycle one disc at a time...and I am shocked that I am genuinely enjoying them all.

So have been reading many of the back and forth comments about the 2022 remastering...hard-limited.dynamic range/compression...vs those who own them and found them wonderful, clearer and more natural.

Separately if I really get into it, I might also pick up the van Zweden cycle and (maybe) the Pristine Classical Furtwangler 1953.

Thank you for any advice on the new Solti remastering, as well as van Zweden and Furtwangler 1953.

Reactions: nirodha

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I have also read from 2 owners of the 2022 Universal Japan remasters (apparently the same vintage/source) that they heard limiting on the 2022 main 'samplers cd' of the 4 operas...but they did NOT hear the same limiting on their own Universal Japan 2022 remasters.

Every once in a while the Japanese version IS different. Have you heard anything to that effect?
I do not have access to the Japanese versions Why should we as consumers guess, if limiting has been applied or not? It’s becoming like the Mofi case. At least Mofi now clearly states if a digital step has been applied. It would be nice if labels that produce digital content also clearly stated if any limiting or other processing affecting DR has been applied.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Do you have any views on the Universal Japan 2022 Remasterings of the Wagner Solti Ring Cycle? (related to the Decca 2022...but apparently Japanese release only...which sometimes means different though not always).
Sorry, I do not. In general, I am disinterested in reissues and remasterings.

Reactions: bonzo75 and carolus

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing