Violin videos: solo or with small ensemble

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Listen again to the Aries Cerat video...and not just the organ piece. Listen to the piano starting at 5:36...very realistic piano reproduction...including the low notes.

Aries Cerat CES 2016 (youtube.com)

Yours is frankly not close to this. Your bass might be deeper and tighter but the top to bottom "gestalt" of a real organ in real space is nowhere as close. Look at the YouTube comments...people are blown away by it. Have you ever actually heard a live organ in a large church? I have a friend who used to build organs for a living...he now makes custom furniture. I played him this piece off YouTube and he was very impressed.

Also, do you hear how different the acoustic is with each piece played? It is radically different depending on the recording. Your sax + organ again is drenched in reverb. Maybe you gravitate towards recordings like this but it is there nonetheless.

I re-listened to the Vivaldi. Once you get past the wiry violins, you hear the soundstage is quite narrow but there is still a lot of hollowness in the soundstage. Again, I asked you to play a different Vivaldi recording of the same piece...not a completely different recording...whatever. I was actually willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that the recording you chose was not a great one...you chose to take it in a completely different direction.

I don't get the impression you listen to live classical music much. Further back in the hall gives a more rolled off and less airy sound as high frequencies are lost with absorption and distance from the musicians. An up close recording with reverb added will sound potentially both wiry and reverberant.

PS. What you think of my own posted videos is frankly irrelevant to me. I know what I hear in them that sounds realistic and what is missing from reality. If you listen to them carefully and then live music you will realize that they are better than you give them credit for.
Thanks for reposting that video as it reminded me of much of what I heard a few weeks ago. There’s some rather musical and a few not-so-musical things to say about it. But overall, it’s rather musical. At least on first listen. Presumably that’s an exhibiting room at a show? Almost looks like a room at the Venetian Hotel in Vegas? If so and given the windows to the left and short half-wall to the right, etc. I’m most impressed with the talent of whoever did the room setup especially if they only had a few days. But I’ll save that rabbit hole for another time. Especially since we're talking about me and my videos, I'd much prefer to also engage you and your videos - not you and somebody else's video used as a proxy.

morricab, let’s not beat around the bush here. In sports they say we're only as good as our last shift. Likewise, here we're presumably only as good as our last video posted, right? Here’s your latest video posted from above and here’s mine. After listening to yours and then mine again, I‘ve just one question. You can’t be serious, can you?

I happen to think all of our videos for better or worse are fairly representative of our playback config’s. as they tell us much about our systems as well as indicators of any due diligence we may put into our pursuits. Not to mention these in-room videos also tell us much about the one who compiled it including whether or not our listening skills and our words jive or are disjointed when compared to our posted videos.

Given your latest (or any previous that I’ve heard) video, I can’t really sense any evidence of any serious due diligence. Moreover, if I heard your sound at an audio show, I’m pretty sure I’d leave your room within 30 seconds because it would take no time to realize that room would have zero to offer me in the way of performance.

When I listen to even the very first note of my video of the sax and organ, I’m already suspecting my listening perspective may be somewhere, anywhere in a cathedral, even if it’s near the restrooms it’s still far better than hearing it in my room. IOW, I’m already well on my way toward a genuinely more believable and more musical presentation. If you’re unaware, that in itself would be quite an accomplishment. Even if there exists shortcomings elsewhere in the playback presentation.

Remind me again, why are so many so willing to spend so much on custom rooms and aftermarket room acoustic treatments? Primarily to make the room disappear, right? And since my system is able to make ambient info from the recording (the lowest of all low-level detail) so abundantly audible, it already overshadows perhaps every significant room acoustic anomaly so my perspective is no longer from the listening room. IOW, if there's any truth to my claim, then I've already accomplished what others must spend thousands on (their custom rooms and treatments) and I've not spent a dime - other than just having a minimally furnished room with carpeting. And those others ought to still fall short of the mark because even if they're able to make the room disappear, they still fall short because their systems are still unable to reproduce this abundance of ambient info.

From the sound of your videos I'm guessing this recording hall listening perspective may not be high on your radar and if not that’s just one more effect or cause why we hear things differently. But it seems rather obvious from your words and your videos this is not on your bucket list but it’s high on mine.

And yet, you no doubt think much the same of my videos. This is where providing an “official” type of youtube video makes for an excellent reference. Or at least it should unless our listening skills happen to be so inferior even that is of no benefit.

As evidenced by both videos, we’re coming from different galaxies and this is where some “official” video from the internet that by-passes our systems and rooms entirely makes for the best and only reasonable reference. Not some random youtube viewers, not your words nor my words, or even the words of some retired pipe organ maker since all of our listening skills are all over the map. It’s probably also worth mentioning the old rumor that if a mfg’er or distributor were looking for a quick positive feedback for their new product, they’d reach out to a musician or conductor because they always give positive feedback. Maybe it’s because of their love for music, any music?

I’m thankful that I hear almost no similarities because frankly, if I thought my videos sounded anything like yours and since I’m not a music lover at all costs kinda’ guy, I probably would have sought out another pursuit a long time ago that could bring more pleasure. But that’s me.

Sure, there’s enough in everybody’s videos to all day long pick on any number of system shortcomings via an in-room video. But hopefully some less than others. For example. When I listen to your videos, I hear a rather closed-in compact system that seems to not have much thought put into it and IMO, that’s pretty much how it sounds – to me. Though I’ve heard worse.

Oh, lest I forget…

1. You had no direct response to my entire bit regarding your faux pas about the whole room reverb vs live performance ambient info thing. Is it safe to assume that your lack of response implies you’re acknowledging your error?

2. I specifically asked why you’ve yet to comment even once on the many in-room videos that possess that rather nasty empty-coffee-can sonic signature and you didn’t acknowledge it. This leads me to think you’re unable to recognize that sonic signature or maybe you recognize it in your own videos, like it, prefer it, and therefore expect it? If so, is it any wonder you dislike my videos? But just remember you’ll never hear that sonic signature at a live performance. Nor with any of my videos.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My new low cost speaker model with a not yet 100 % finalized filter .
You tube as a source , the power amp is a 500 euro / parts DIY Hawk A 18 J vd Sluis amplifier design
I ll be getting the speakers back from the paint shop later this week , so i can finalize the speaker / filter.
This is not a pure soft dome tw , its a ring radiator design
I ll be uploading speakers with a pure soft dome tw shortly , see if YT tells the difference

Last edited:
Reactions: wil

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for reposting that video as it reminded me of much of what I heard a few weeks ago. There’s some rather musical and a few not-so-musical things to say about it. But overall, it’s rather musical. At least on first listen. Presumably that’s an exhibiting room at a show? Almost looks like a room at the Venetian Hotel in Vegas? If so and given the windows to the left and short half-wall to the right, etc. I’m most impressed with the talent of whoever did the room setup especially if they only had a few days. But I’ll save that rabbit hole for another time. Especially since we're talking about me and my videos, I'd much prefer to also engage you and your videos - not you and somebody else's video used as a proxy.

morricab, let’s not beat around the bush here. In sports they say we're only as good as our last shift. Likewise, here we're presumably only as good as our last video posted, right? Here’s your latest video posted from above and here’s mine. After listening to yours and then mine again, I‘ve just one question. You can’t be serious, can you?

I happen to think all of our videos for better or worse are fairly representative of our playback config’s. as they tell us much about our systems as well as indicators of any due diligence we may put into our pursuits. Not to mention these in-room videos also tell us much about the one who compiled it including whether or not our listening skills and our words jive or are disjointed when compared to our posted videos.

Given your latest (or any previous that I’ve heard) video, I can’t really sense any evidence of any serious due diligence. Moreover, if I heard your sound at an audio show, I’m pretty sure I’d leave your room within 30 seconds because it would take no time to realize that room would have zero to offer me in the way of performance.

When I listen to even the very first note of my video of the sax and organ, I’m already suspecting my listening perspective may be somewhere, anywhere in a cathedral, even if it’s near the restrooms it’s still far better than hearing it in my room. IOW, I’m already well on my way toward a genuinely more believable and more musical presentation. If you’re unaware, that in itself would be quite an accomplishment. Even if there exists shortcomings elsewhere in the playback presentation.

Remind me again, why are so many so willing to spend so much on custom rooms and aftermarket room acoustic treatments? Primarily to make the room disappear, right? And since my system is able to make ambient info from the recording (the lowest of all low-level detail) so abundantly audible, it already overshadows perhaps every significant room acoustic anomaly so my perspective is no longer from the listening room. IOW, if there's any truth to my claim, then I've already accomplished what others must spend thousands on (their custom rooms and treatments) and I've not spent a dime - other than just having a minimally furnished room with carpeting. And those others ought to still fall short of the mark because even if they're able to make the room disappear, they still fall short because their systems are still unable to reproduce this abundance of ambient info.

From the sound of your videos I'm guessing this recording hall listening perspective may not be high on your radar and if not that’s just one more effect or cause why we hear things differently. But it seems rather obvious from your words and your videos this is not on your bucket list but it’s high on mine.

And yet, you no doubt think much the same of my videos. This is where providing an “official” type of youtube video makes for an excellent reference. Or at least it should unless our listening skills happen to be so inferior even that is of no benefit.

As evidenced by both videos, we’re coming from different galaxies and this is where some “official” video from the internet that by-passes our systems and rooms entirely makes for the best and only reasonable reference. Not some random youtube viewers, not your words nor my words, or even the words of some retired pipe organ maker since all of our listening skills are all over the map. It’s probably also worth mentioning the old rumor that if a mfg’er or distributor were looking for a quick positive feedback for their new product, they’d reach out to a musician or conductor because they always give positive feedback. Maybe it’s because of their love for music, any music?

I’m thankful that I hear almost no similarities because frankly, if I thought my videos sounded anything like yours and since I’m not a music lover at all costs kinda’ guy, I probably would have sought out another pursuit a long time ago that could bring more pleasure. But that’s me.

Sure, there’s enough in everybody’s videos to all day long pick on any number of system shortcomings via an in-room video. But hopefully some less than others. For example. When I listen to your videos, I hear a rather closed-in compact system that seems to not have much thought put into it and IMO, that’s pretty much how it sounds – to me. Though I’ve heard worse.

Oh, lest I forget…

1. You had no direct response to my entire bit regarding your faux pas about the whole room reverb vs live performance ambient info thing. Is it safe to assume that your lack of response implies you’re acknowledging your error?

2. I specifically asked why you’ve yet to comment even once on the many in-room videos that possess that rather nasty empty-coffee-can sonic signature and you didn’t acknowledge it. This leads me to think you’re unable to recognize that sonic signature or maybe you recognize it in your own videos, like it, prefer it, and therefore expect it? If so, is it any wonder you dislike my videos? But just remember you’ll never hear that sonic signature at a live performance. Nor with any of my videos.
Where is the like for like comparison? Without that there is nothing to discuss….two different recordings in obviously different environments.

please link your YouTube videos that glow with the same praise as the Aries Cerat video.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sarasate

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Beethoven

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
More

Reactions: hopkins

wil

Jul 22, 2015
All this talk about comparing systems through videos would be a lot more coherent if you were comparing the same recording.

It would be helpful if the particulars of the recording were included with each video and whether it’s vinyl CD or streamed.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
@Vienna's system - Brinkmann Balance, Lambda, all gryphon into Tidal

I spent about 15 minutes listening to sections of most of the violin videos in this thread. I think some sound very good (for videos), a few very bad and a bunch somewhere in between.

For me, the most troublesome aspect of some system vids is the distracting signature of an overly resonant room obscuring musical clarity. Some also exhibit a fat/soft mid-range.

(recognizing all caveats of phone recordings, MacBook and middling headphone playback)

One of the really good ones, imho, is Vienna's above. I hear no room, just well balanced music. I suspect this recording would be closest to the "official" YouTube file of the same recording -- sometimes a useful reference imho.

(@bonzo75, can you share what the recording was?)

I was also surprised to see this was a Tidal stream. If I'm not mistaken, Ked typically uses particularly high quality vinyl for his system video's?

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I spent about 15 minutes listening to sections of most of the violin videos in this thread. I think some sound very good (for videos), a few very bad and a bunch somewhere in between.

For me, the most troublesome aspect of some system vids is the distracting signature of an overly resonant room obscuring musical clarity. Some also exhibit a fat/soft mid-range.

(recognizing all caveats of phone recordings, MacBook and middling headphone playback)

One of the really good ones, imho, is Vienna's above. I hear no room, just well balanced music. I suspect this recording would be closest to the "official" YouTube file of the same recording -- a useful reference imho.

(@bonzo75, can you share what the recording was?)

I was also surprised to see this was a Tidal stream. If I'm not mistaken, Ked typically uses particularly high quality vinyl for his system video's?

it is an LP. If you Shazam it Shazam might point it to the corresponding tidal album. It is a classic records reissue of szeryng playing Lalo’s Symphonie Espagnole. I had suggested he buy it as he was not into classical and this was not expensive and could be easily purchased so I could get a listen when he was making some changes.

I don’t see the problem with room. I like to hear it in the videos it gives more of a listener’s perspective. He might have recorded this one closer to the speakers taking out the room.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
From your experience, do these videos exaggerate the room resonances?

I don't want to hear the listening room -- only the ambient space present in the recording.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From your experience, do these videos exaggerate the room resonances?

I don't want to hear the listening room -- only the ambient space present in the recording.

the videos which I record, l playback and upload only if they are representative (they usually are). I would say 5 to 10 percent aren’t (and that is not because of room resonance)

Reactions: wil and Johan K

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
One of the really good ones, imho, is Vienna's above. I hear no room, just well balanced music. I suspect this recording would be closest to the "official" YouTube file of the same recording -- a useful reference imho.
Official YouTube versions are not good references as this example makes clear. If you click 'more' in the description the official YouTube version is there for you to try. Guess what, it sounds awful compared to Bonzo's video. It likely comes from this
equally awful 24/192 version listed on Tidal/Qobuz:
Screenshot_2024_0213_195642.jpg

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Official YouTube versions are not good references as this example makes clear. If you click 'more' in the description the official YouTube version is there for you to try. Guess what, it sounds awful compared to Bonzo's video. It likely comes from this
equally awful 24/192 version listed on Tidal/Qobuz:
View attachment 125263
@bonzo75, Is this the recording used in your video?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Where is the like for like comparison? Without that there is nothing to discuss….two different recordings in obviously different environments.
As usual you seem to miss the point. To clarify, in this case I was illustrating our ability/inability to discern differences between more / less musical playback configs and presentations - which by no means requires identical recordings and environments. For at least some of us. After all a music presentation is either genuinely musical or it is not – with many shades of gray, right?

please link your YouTube videos that glow with the same praise as the Aries Cerat video.
Praise from whom? You mean feedback on youtube from the consensus of whom you’ve no idea if their listening skill levels are greater/less than your own? Maybe such things don’t matter to some? Are you saying so long as it tickles your ear and others agree, you’re good? What kind of a reference is that?

I’m not saying that’s not already happening, but seriously what kind of reference is that? It beats a stick in the eye sure. It’s certainly better than one like yourself or Al M attempting to cast a shadow on ALL of my videos because you’re unable to discern between unnatural room reverb and a recording’s natural ambient info, isn’t it? And it doesn’t help any when your buds concur with your faux pas, does it? Is that the kind of “praise” from youtube viewers that you’re putting so much stock in?

Do you suppose the consensus can discern the difference between unnatural room reverb and a recording’s natural ambient info? Might the consensus grimace when hearing that empty-coffee-can sonic signature? Might the consensus understand the importance of a presentation’s natural ambient info? Does any of this matter to anybody besides me?

You suggested I post another Vivaldi video so maybe this middle-of-the-road performance is a bit better comparison to your video?

One note of interest. So many like you are so convinced that live unamplified music in an acoustic space is the only viable benchmark for all things high-end audio. Yet, it seems just as many forget entirely about the acoustic space part (think ambient info) and I’m unsure why as IMO this capturing of the music IN ITS acoustic space is what makes all the difference in world. So sad.

BTW, these in-room videos can be so educational. It’s a shame more don’t take advantage of them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing